• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever had a high dollar book damaged by CGC?

42 posts in this topic

They damaged one of my books in their first year of operation. They'd graded the book 5.0. The book was damaged during encapsulation. I had them regrade it with the damage, and it went down to 4.5. Steve Borock and I talked on the phone and worked out a fair market refund for the .5 difference.

They damaged a not so high value book of mine. Warlock 2 should have been a 9.8 but ended up with a right edge thumb color breaking crease and graded 9.2.

I still have it. Never asked for anything but chocked it up as a lesson that anything can happen.

I sent in a stack of xfactor 6s 2 years ago for a 9.2 prescreen and all came back ungraded. I was confused because these were sure 9.6/9.8 candidates. Looked over the books closely and saw each one had a blunted corner on the bottom of the spine. Im guessing someone dropped the stack and smashed them all in the same spot. Contacted CGC and they pressed each book and regraded each on their dime. All came back 9.6-9.8.

I recently submitted a Daredevil #30, with Thor on the cover, which should have graded somewhere between 9.0 - 9.4. When I got it back it was graded 8.5, and had a small tear along the top edge that wasn't there before. I contacted Brittany McManus with CGC and she asked if I had a picture of the comic before I sent it in. I did have a picture, without the tear, that I took before I sent the comic in.

I e-mailed Brittany the picture, and she offered me two choices:

1.  CGC can replace the book for you in a higher grader, or 

2. We can credit you your grading fees.

I accepted choice #1, mailed in the 8.5 grade copy of the comic, and Brittany mailed me a 9.4 grade copy of Daredevil #30. 

Thank you CGC for standing behind your product and making things right with this comic.

37 minutes ago, jharvey said:

I accepted choice #1, mailed in the 8.5 grade copy of the comic, and Brittany mailed me a 9.4 grade copy of Daredevil #30. 

Thank you CGC for standing behind your product and making things right with this comic.

Wow.  Good for them.

Awhile ago I started taking scans of the front and back covers prior to submission in The event a book was damaged during the process.  It's awesome CGC replaced the book  but should they have contacted you at the time the damage occurred?  Seems like in most cases they wait until the customer complains.  

No. I don't believe so anyway. Low or high dollar. The closest to this is a book - Detective 400 - that was a CGC 9.2 Universal  that I sent to Matt back when he was Classics Inc. He pressed it and it came back 9.4. Qualified with bottom staple pulled through FC.  He thought CGC probably caused the staple pop. I had no way of knowing of course.  I chalked it up to anything can happen. The restoration check does indeed require the book be opened up good and flat to look for repairs. 

19 hours ago, jharvey said:

I recently submitted a Daredevil #30, with Thor on the cover, which should have graded somewhere between 9.0 - 9.4. When I got it back it was graded 8.5, and had a small tear along the top edge that wasn't there before. I contacted Brittany McManus with CGC and she asked if I had a picture of the comic before I sent it in. I did have a picture, without the tear, that I took before I sent the comic in.

I e-mailed Brittany the picture, and she offered me two choices:

1.  CGC can replace the book for you in a higher grader, or 

2. We can credit you your grading fees.

Didn't happen to me, but my LCS owner shared a story of them doing the same thing with a mid-grade 181 that he submitted on behalf of a customer.

Yes, but I believe it was more from my decision to test the book.  The book in question was worth a couple of hundred dollars.  I had purchased it as a 4.5 Light Tan to Off White.  I then decided to test the book with the company across the street.  The book went from a 4.5 to a 4.0.  Then I decided to have it reholdered in a CGC slab and it went to a 3.5.

There the book stays as a 3.5.  The book in question? 

Side note... in order to meet the size requirements of uploaded images I had to scan the book then shrink it and take a screen cap of it.  Photobucket is looking better... and better lol 

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.59.04 PM.png

On 2/5/2017 at 4:28 PM, Kelmonster said:

Ever had a high dollar book damaged by CGC either in grading or re slabbing? If so, what was the extent of the damage and was there an adequate reimbursement?

Yes. No re-imbursement, either. 

I bought a SWEET Silver Surfer # 1 from Harley Yee at the SD Con, sold to me as NM- 9.2/possible NM 9.4. Paid 550, which I still feel was a discounted price, and it had the WHITE pages I am willing to pay a little more than usual for.

But I am getting ahead of myself:

I had bought the 3-Free Submission Voucher from another great Bordie, Joanna, and I used said Voucher to send in 3 OTHER Norrin Radds.

The # 2 had a 1/4" blue strip of color discoloration by the spine, a true printing oddity, and me and my "associates" were offering cases of brew to who had the closest grade. 

One said VF/NM 9.0, I said NM- 9.2, the other said NM 9.4/possible NM+ 9.6.

When it came back VF 8.0 I flipped my lid. 

Now mind you that Borock had left, and the Haspel Hammer was running things during this time.

I called and somehow got Haspel without the usual runaround.

He was arrogant, dismissive, and stood by his " there was some sort of discoloration at the price box". That alone knocked this from the NM classes to VF classes.

The next shipment in( I used to send in books regularly) had the coveted SS # 1.

Came back VF 8.0, WHITE pages. EIGHT-POINT OH???

I could clearly see the ding/blunting on the bottom of the spine. Did not have to crack it out to see this.

This time I was on hold forever, and Haspel did not want to talk to me.

I persisted, PMed, Posted, etc.

Now angry, he takes the call, however, as this was years ago I don't remember word-for-word exactly.

Paraphrasing here:

CAL(C): " Did you or one of your pre-graders drop this great book?"

Haspel( H): " Umm.. uh, accidents happen".

C: "And you didn't; have the decency or courtesy to call me and tell me?"

H;" We are seven months behind and don't have that sort of, um, time..."

C: " I am asking point blank: did you or one of your pre-graders drop this book?"

Silence

C" "Yes or no?"

H: " Probably".

C: "Not even a courtesy call or notice. You have my number and email..."

Silence.

C: " Now what can you do about this now?"

H: " I would have to go to xyz, then he has to go to xyz"

I had had enough. I hung up, and can't believe now that I did not rail like I usually do. Never spoke to him ever again nor will I ever speak to him ever.

I had already slated a few more shipment of Pre-screens( what a rip-off) and other books for Customers of mine, but the die was cast:

I would be getting out of the submission business.

Then when my Sales Threads kept getting hijacked, other deals nixed by Scott Bono and others, I called Harshen a few times to no avail, they ignore me now and blame ME for the troubles I have had here.

So they don't get any more of my business. I also stop steering people their way.

Bottom line: Yes, strange things happened to me during my submission days. Lessons learned too well.

CAL who does mostly raws now...

Edited by Calamerica

I just had all of 3 of the books in my latest sub clearly damaged. I thought the books were all around 9.6 and when I saw the grades, they were 9.0, 9.2 and 9.6. I knew something was wrong. Opening the packages, it clear all 3 have creases that they didn't before. I'm going to call them today. 

On 2/10/2017 at 5:17 PM, Calamerica said:

Yes. No re-imbursement, either. 

I bought a SWEET Silver Surfer # 1 from Harley Yee at the SD Con, sold to me as NM- 9.2/possible NM 9.4. Paid 550, which I still feel was a discounted price, and it had the WHITE pages I am willing to pay a little more than usual for.

But I am getting ahead of myself:

I had bought the 3-Free Submission Voucher from another great Bordie, Joanna, and I used said Voucher to send in 3 OTHER Norrin Radds.

The # 2 had a 1/4" blue strip of color discoloration by the spine, a true printing oddity, and me and my "associates" were offering cases of brew to who had the closest grade. 

One said VF/NM 9.0, I said NM- 9.2, the other said NM 9.4/possible NM+ 9.6.

When it came back VF 8.0 I flipped my lid. 

Now mind you that Borock had left, and the Haspel Hammer was running things during this time.

I called and somehow got Haspel without the usual runaround.

He was arrogant, dismissive, and stood by his " there was some sort of discoloration at the price box". That alone knocked this from the NM classes to VF classes.

The next shipment in( I used to send in books regularly) had the coveted SS # 1.

Came back VF 8.0, WHITE pages. EIGHT-POINT OH???

I could clearly see the ding/blunting on the bottom of the spine. Did not have to crack it out to see this.

This time I was on hold forever, and Haspel did not want to talk to me.

I persisted, PMed, Posted, etc.

Now angry, he takes the call, however, as this was years ago I don't remember word-for-word exactly.

Paraphrasing here:

CAL(C): " Did you or one of your pre-graders drop this great book?"

Haspel( H): " Umm.. uh, accidents happen".

C: "And you didn't; have the decency or courtesy to call me and tell me?"

H;" We are seven months behind and don't have that sort of, um, time..."

C: " I am asking point blank: did you or one of your pre-graders drop this book?"

Silence

C" "Yes or no?"

H: " Probably".

C: "Not even a courtesy call or notice. You have my number and email..."

Silence.

C: " Now what can you do about this now?"

H: " I would have to go to xyz, then he has to go to xyz"

I had had enough. I hung up, and can't believe now that I did not rail like I usually do. Never spoke to him ever again nor will I ever speak to him ever.

I had already slated a few more shipment of Pre-screens( what a rip-off) and other books for Customers of mine, but the die was cast:

I would be getting out of the submission business.

Then when my Sales Threads kept getting hijacked, other deals nixed by Scott Bono and others, I called Harshen a few times to no avail, they ignore me now and blame ME for the troubles I have had here.

So they don't get any more of my business. I also stop steering people their way.

Bottom line: Yes, strange things happened to me during my submission days. Lessons learned too well.

CAL who does mostly raws now...

Based upon your ebay grading, your 9.2 IS an 8.0 for CGC. So what I'm getting from your post is you were butthurt that your grade wasn't their grade and never did business with them again. Convenient given how badly you overgrade your raw books. 

34 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Based upon your ebay grading, your 9.2 IS an 8.0 for CGC. So what I'm getting from your post is you were butthurt that your grade wasn't their grade and never did business with them again. Convenient given how badly you overgrade your raw books. 

There are so many things about that story that make no logical sense.  I'm highly skeptical to say the least.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, jharvey said:

or 

1. 8 minutes ago, kav said:

There are so many things about that story that make no logical sense.  I'm highly skeptical to say the least.

Im surprised this thread basically died after Cal posted that.

3 minutes ago, Erndog said:
  1. Im surprised this thread basically died after Cal posted that.

It took people years to unslack their jaws and respond.

Got a call once from CGC.  Very apologetic.  During grading, my Fantastic Four #1 was torn while being placed back in the Mylar.  They estimated that it would have been a 3.0 without the tear and it graded 2.5 with the tear.  I received a credit towards future submissions based on the FMV difference between the two grades.  I was impressed that they called me, but obviously disappointed that they tore the cover.