• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Nuff said!

Love it! Kelly Freas was the man...

If I wasn't feeling lazy, I'd try to post a scan of the "good luck" double cover (Nixon/Kennedy) or the one from the late 1960s where Alfred is holding a pin about to pop balloons with different candidates' faces on them.

Sad news (saw this on Mad's Facebook page) --

"Paul Peter Porges, MAD Writer and Artist, RIP

We end the year on a sad note, with the passing of longtime MAD writer/artist Paul Peter Porges on December 20. Paul Peter’s first contribution to MAD was the cover idea for issue #106, in 1966. Over the next four decades he contributed over 200 articles to MAD, with his last feature appearing in MAD #500. In addition to his MAD work, “PPP,” as he was known to his family and friends, was a contributor to "The New Yorker" and "The Saturday Evening Post." Born in Vienna in 1927, Paul Peter survived a difficult childhood, on the run at age 13 in Europe as he and his brother fled the Nazis. A warm and gregarious man, Paul Peter was exceptionally devoted to his wife, Lucie, who preceded him in death. Our thoughts and sympathies go out to Paul Peter’s two daughters and his entire family."

166947.jpg.bb3202cf1718def970a8a32dc9159519.jpg

More sad news for Mad fans (and this news came at almost the same time as the Carrie Fisher news):

"Don “Duck” Edwing, MAD Writer and Artist, RIP

2016 continues to be a sad year for the MAD family as we have learned of the passing of legendary writer and artist, Don “Duck” Edwing at 82. Truly one of MAD’s all-time-greats, Duck wrote many classic Don Martin gags before creating his own outrageous one-page features for the magazine. We will post a full tribute after New Year’s Day when the MAD office reopens. We extend our deepest condolences to Duck’s family and friends."

167039.jpg.95f9190a1e8303b7234de8c2ba664eb2.jpg

I'm not a Mad Magazine collector but I do have a strong recollection of 2 very striking predictions from the Annals of Mad and am hoping someone can point me to the issues.

The first is a parody of the Pharmacy morphing into the superstore; the second is a parody of buying on account of brand name with the parody of the brand labels being placed on "outside" of the clothing.

I'm sure at the time these ideas were thought by the writers to be just too ridiculous to ever come true.

Thanks in advance.

hip

I'm not a Mad Magazine collector but I do have a strong recollection of 2 very striking predictions from the Annals of Mad and am hoping someone can point me to the issues.

The first is a parody of the Pharmacy morphing into the superstore; the second is a parody of buying on account of brand name with the parody of the brand labels being placed on "outside" of the clothing.

I'm sure at the time these ideas were thought by the writers to be just too ridiculous to ever come true.

Those both sound like they must have been from the 1960s or older. Do you remember the decade or approximate year? I'll see what I can dig up.

That would be great. I believe you are on the mark with the 60's, but as to year I can only guess that is somewhere in the middle, say 1964 - 1968, but that is really just a guess.

Even after a half a century those two bits of societal forecasting have struck me as incredibly insightful; and I'm sure there was a lot more than just those two.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

hip

Edited by hip2b2

This is a fun exercise in tracking down a specific Mad article. I haven't been able to pin down those two pieces yet, though. I'll keep looking into it, for the challenge.

Yesterday I dug out the "Totally MAD" CD-Rom set, a 1999 product from Broderbund software. It has 7 discs full of scans of every Mad issue from #1 through whatever issue in 1999. I'm glad to see it still works on a newer computer. There's a search function for text, and I typed in "pharmacy," "superstore," "drugstore," "brand," "label," "clothes/clothing," and "advertising" (which got too many hits but I skimmed them over).

I couldn't find either of the above-referenced predictions, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, of course. They just aren't obvious to find. Maybe for fun I'll start reading through every issue (again -- I've done this a few times over) and see if I can spot those bits. They both do ring a bell, in the deep recesses of my memory. But not enough of one. (I feel like the clothing label bit might have been something drawn by Bob Clarke.)

If you have any other details, or can try to estimate the year you would have been most likely to read Mad, then please share what you can. Another option would be for you to go to Doug Gilford's Mad Cover Site and look through the issues yourself, reading the Table of Contents listing for each issue. Maybe you'll spot the article in question.

In the meantime, I leave you with two screen shots of articles that were thematically close to what you described, if not the actual articles. One article is from 1968, one from 1975. Let me know if these are in the stylistic realm of what you remember, because even that could be helpful:

167405.jpg.f0ea1d7712ba14d004df7a383a06deca.jpg

167406.jpg.f817ffcda6a23a7241fe836d01a816fb.jpg

167407.jpg.b0573268114f7f4880ee6379a69489f1.jpg

I have two very clear images of the parodies in my mind's eye (memories are very malleable things and I am very interested to find out how well I recall what seems as clear as if I read the magazine yesterday really are).

The pharmacy parody has them selling spare airplane parts as well as everything else under creation.

The labels on the outside has a drawing of a gentleman helping a woman remove her mink stole and the label is on the outside of the stole as it is lowered from her shoulders.

I will try searching as well.

Thanks for the help.

hip

The labels on the outside has a drawing of a gentleman helping a woman remove her mink stole and the label is on the outside of the stole as it is lowered from her shoulders.

Dang, that sounds like something I remember that was drawn by Paul Coker. Might be 1970s. The game is on...

Fair chance it's Al Jaffee...

The first is a parody of the Pharmacy morphing into the superstore;

Is this the article? It's from issue #19 in 1955.

This is similar in concept though my recollection clouded by the years is of a B&W illustration in the vein of MomCo above.

I am a great skeptic of memory, I know it to be fallible and open to a great many variations depending on circumstances.

hip