• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your main collecting goal/focus for 2017?
2 2

76 posts in this topic

right, the first PHM in each title was

SW1

TTA1

TOS1

JIM50

ST67

Its been a while, so I forget which of those came first, but its basically the late 1959 stuff as you said. I want to say my own research had pointed to ST67.

right, the first PHM in each title was

SW1

TTA1

TOS1

JIM50

ST67

Its been a while, so I forget which of those came first, but its basically the late 1959 stuff as you said. I want to say my own research had pointed to ST67.

Hi Bronty :hi:

My date for the SW1 was wrong in the earlier post, it should have been Dec 1958.

ST67 has a cover date of Feb 59, just a few months after the SW1. The JIM50 was in-between those with a Jan 59 cover date ( I have a handy spreadsheet of the timeline for all the PHM titles & issues.)

Sorry - don't want to hijack this thread.

-bc

Edited by bc

Love the diversity of all the goals ! :applause:

I've retained the same focus obsession since 2009, trying to acquire all of the 164 Pre-Hero Marvel issues in as high a grade as I can afford to add to the Vault :

PHM_Group_Shot_10_16_v4_zps7jglzdbn.jpg

I've added several more since that pic, but still have a long way to go. So I can probably just copy this post for the "Goals of 20xx" threads for years to come :grin:

-bc

great pre Marvel collection ! bummer that you were unable to get TTA #13 (groot) before the price went sky so high !

I've retained the same focus obsession since 2009, trying to acquire all of the 164 Pre-Hero Marvel issues in as high a grade as I can afford to add to the Vault :

I've added several more since that pic, but still have a long way to go. So I can probably just copy this post for the "Goals of 20xx" threads for years to come :grin:

-bc

So cool! (worship)

Can you educate a noobie and tell me which is the first and last issue among those 164?

Gladly answer those questions :)

The first PHM is always a bit of a discussion, but the Strange Worlds 1 (Dec 59), sort of starts the peak era.

Last one is Tales of Suspense 38 (Feb 63) - TOS 37 & 38 are the only PHMs that made it into 1963 - all the others converted to heroes or were cancelled.

If you really want to fall asleep fast, check out the "Pre-Hero Marvel !!!" thread over in the Silver Age forum.

-bc

Thanks! Great stuff, gotta love your monsters! :)

-bc

You just put SW1 back on my radar for 2017, gave up on finding a nice copy a few years ago. Killer compilation shot! :o :o :o:cloud9:

My goal for 2017 is to get my collection organized and catalog everything into a spreadsheet or something so I know what I have and figure out the values.

Then I want to figure out if I'm gonna go further down the rabbit hole and start picking up silver age comics or if I'm gonna go the other way and sell everything and kick this hobby for good. :D

Edited by VegasJeff

-bc

Every year I do a drawing challenge in October called Monster Month. I started doing it in 2009 and have been plugging away at it every year since. This year, somehow, I ended up doing a month of Kirby/Marvel monsters. Many of then were pre-hero designs. It made me want to start to pick up some of those books.

It started with this drawing of GOOM and went until the end of the month.

Edited by rob_react