• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

:hi: I don't know much about Mad Magazine

A local bookkstore has a stack of Mad Magazine, and I am asking is there any in particular that I should be looking for in the stack??

I want to say some of them had a 50 cent price on the mag, I don't know how much the bookstore wants for them but any suggestions on ones I should be looking for??

I can browse this thread but if there are some common collecter's issues let me know :popcorn:

mostly 25 centers in the thread, with a few modern sprinkled.....when I saw they were starting the mad tv show again and then that it was at the bookstore.....idk guess i'll call see how much their asking for'em, could be a good read regardless :cloud9:

Totally forgot to post these on Halloween, but better later than never...

mad%2082_zpssyetxvli.jpg

mad59_zps6u3ny6dc.jpg

I'm not sure what the deal is, but Photobucket images are not showing up in my browser.

I think I can guess what you posted! One of them has to be that headless horseman pumpkin cover.

Totally forgot to post these on Halloween, but better later than never...

mad%2082_zpssyetxvli.jpg

mad59_zps6u3ny6dc.jpg

I'm not sure what the deal is, but Photobucket images are not showing up in my browser.

I think I can guess what you posted! One of them has to be that headless horseman pumpkin cover.

Yeah, they were there yesterday for me, but not today, and you are correct in your guess for one of the images. The other, if I recall, was Frankenstein building the AEN model...but I could be forcing my own version into the conversation....

A local bookkstore has a stack of Mad Magazine, and I am asking is there any in particular that I should be looking for in the stack??

I want to say some of them had a 50 cent price on the mag, I don't know how much the bookstore wants for them but any suggestions on ones I should be looking for??

I can browse this thread but if there are some common collecter's issues let me know :popcorn:

Mad Magazines are generally not worth a lot of dough compared to comics etc., for the simple reason that Mad was popular outside of the comics realm, and had a very high circulation level. (In 1973 and 1974 the circulation actually topped two million.)

Here are Mad's circulation numbers by year -- starting in 1961 (not sure why it starts there -- maybe reliable figures are harder to determine previously?). As you can see, the lowest circulation occurred during the past 10 years, with this year being the lowest of all. (And by the way, I heartily recommend subscribing -- you can get 3 years for 35 bucks or something, and they send you extra goodies like a limited-edition poster. Totally worth it.)

As a result, perhaps some of the most collectible Mads are the ones from 2000 onwards. I have sold Mad runs on eBay a couple of times, and I've found that if I sell a batch of 1980s Mads, it tends to go for a lower price than a batch of 2000s Mads.

That isn't to say older ones aren't collectible. They are very cool Magazines, and the quality of the writing, cartooning and editing is part of the reason so many people held on to their magazines over the years.

The mid-1950s issues tend to be the most valuable if you find some in nice condition, especially #24 through #43 or so, but any with Wally Wood, Norman Mingo, and especially Kelly Freas covers are cool. After that, there are certain issues that are just fun to have.

The 1960s issues are all really good with excellent Norman Mingo covers. The marijuana cover from 1968 or so, I think it's issue #118?, tends to be much harder to find than others, so pick that up if you see it. Also, the cover with Frankenstein, and the King Kong cover, are a little tougher to find. The 1964 "Alfred of Arabia" issue is always a good one to get because it's the first one to feature the back-page fold-in.

All of the 1970s and early 1980s issues are relatively easy to get, though it's fun to find them in nice condition with un-folded back pages (due to the Al Jaffee fold-in).

If you can find the issue with the raised middle finger, from 1974, that one is always in demand, because it actually got the editors in trouble, and they had to issue an apology to subscribers. It's a classic cover though.

The later issues are a hodge podge in terms of collectiblity or whatever. I think you should buy them if they're a good price and you're interested in having fun reading them.

Mad Magazines are generally not worth a lot of dough compared to comics etc., for the simple reason that Mad was popular outside of the comics realm, and had a very high circulation level. (In 1973 and 1974 the circulation actually topped two million.)

Here are Mad's circulation numbers by year -- starting in 1961 (not sure why it starts there -- maybe reliable figures are harder to determine previously?). As you can see, the lowest circulation occurred during the past 10 years, with this year being the lowest of all. (And by the way, I heartily recommend subscribing -- you can get 3 years for 35 bucks or something, and they send you extra goodies like a limited-edition poster. Totally worth it.)

As a result, perhaps some of the most collectible Mads are the ones from 2000 onwards. I have sold Mad runs on eBay a couple of times, and I've found that if I sell a batch of 1980s Mads, it tends to go for a lower price than a batch of 2000s Mads.

That isn't to say older ones aren't collectible. They are very cool Magazines, and the quality of the writing, cartooning and editing is part of the reason so many people held on to their magazines over the years.

The mid-1950s issues tend to be the most valuable if you find some in nice condition, especially #24 through #43 or so, but any with Wally Wood, Norman Mingo, and especially Kelly Freas covers are cool. After that, there are certain issues that are just fun to have.

The 1960s issues are all really good with excellent Norman Mingo covers. The marijuana cover from 1968 or so, I think it's issue #118?, tends to be much harder to find than others, so pick that up if you see it. Also, the cover with Frankenstein, and the King Kong cover, are a little tougher to find. The 1964 "Alfred of Arabia" issue is always a good one to get because it's the first one to feature the back-page fold-in.

All of the 1970s and early 1980s issues are relatively easy to get, though it's fun to find them in nice condition with un-folded back pages (due to the Al Jaffee fold-in).

If you can find the issue with the raised middle finger, from 1974, that one is always in demand, because it actually got the editors in trouble, and they had to issue an apology to subscribers. It's a classic cover though.

The later issues are a hodge podge in terms of collectiblity or whatever. I think you should buy them if they're a good price and you're interested in having fun reading them.

I don't collect the regular monthly issues much anymore, but I go GAGA when I find an Annual, especially from the start to around Mad Special #6, that still has the bonus, and doubly so if it's still attached and intact! I think those Mad's are well worth collecting and in multiples if you can find them in decent shape. I NEVER pass them up if the price is right...and surprisingly even these days bargains on them can still be found!!!

I don't collect the regular monthly issues much anymore, but I go GAGA when I find an Annual, especially from the start to around Mad Special #6, that still has the bonus, and doubly so if it's still attached and intact! I think those Mad's are well worth collecting and in multiples if you can find them in decent shape. I NEVER pass them up if the price is right...and surprisingly even these days bargains on them can still be found!!!

I totally forgot to mention that. Indeed, the early specials should be snagged if you find them cheap and they still have the bonuses.

The Worst of Mad #4 has a "Sunday Comics Section" bonus that is very hard to find still attached to the inside of the magazine. My copy has the bonus, but it is loose and has yellowed with age (like most newsprint, I guess).

The zeppelin mobile and the full-size Alfred poster are also tricky to find.

Then try finding the stamps in condition where they haven't ended up stuck together over time. Even well-preserved issues can have this problem.

Took pics of Worst of Mad #4 a couple weeks ago... Eight large-format pages satirizing other comics, many of them with art by Wally Wood or other EC greats.

165907.jpg.ce1f496b58a1e140c5dd77cc5f33acec.jpg

165908.jpg.e3aea84a3159d18fce8ff3acd32b03fe.jpg

Well I went back by and there didn't seem to be as many as the first time (the day before)

They didn't have any of the one's you mentioned but they did have some of the spin-offs I think I read about earlier in the thread----like "Cracked" and some other ones----

It seemed obvious (as I had never seen them there before) that someone had just donated or sold the little bookstore some random issues----probably found in an attic or garage

They also had some Vampirella TPB or omnibus----one of them-titled Vampirella vs Dracula

They also had The Dark Knight Returns----Frank Miller TPB----which was interesting since I had not read that whole series-----

They also had The Tick---Omnibus TPB 2---that was what I originally went back for

I totally forgot to mention that. Indeed, the early specials should be snagged if you find them cheap and they still have the bonuses.

The Worst of Mad #4 has a "Sunday Comics Section" bonus that is very hard to find still attached to the inside of the magazine. My copy has the bonus, but it is loose and has yellowed with age (like most newsprint, I guess).

The zeppelin mobile and the full-size Alfred poster are also tricky to find.

Then try finding the stamps in condition where they haven't ended up stuck together over time. Even well-preserved issues can have this problem.

Took pics of Worst of Mad #4 a couple weeks ago... Eight large-format pages satirizing other comics, many of them with art by Wally Wood or other EC greats.

I stumbled on to an estate sale about a month or so ago where the place had 5 of the Annuals in pretty much VF/NM condition. They were:

WFM #2 with Record (unattached, 3rd copy)

WFM #4 with Sunday Comic Section (unattached, my 2nd copy)

WFM #5 with Record (unattached, 2nd copy)

WFM #8 with Zeppelin (attached, 4th copy)

WFM #9 with Record (unattached, 2nd copy)

While I was paying for them (under $20 for the lot!!!) the lady running the sale said she thought she saw more of those 'comic books' and wanted to know if I'd be interested should she find them. I of course said yes and gave her my number, never expecting to hear from her again, as would normally be the case!

Happily, I was wrong and she called me about a week and a half ago and said she had found a few more. Apparently, a family with twins were giving up the place and at some point both the kids must have bought the same Annual, but along with another copy of WFM #4 (Sunday Comic Section present but unattached, also in about VF condition), she laid the following 4 Annuals on me:

MTFM #4 with Sing-A-Long book (unattached, 2nd copy)

MTFM #8 with Alfred E. Neuman Pop-Art Poster (attached, my 2nd copy)

MF #2 with 1965 Calendar (still intact and in almost as new condition!, 2nd copy, better than my first!!)

WFM #7 with all Protest Signs (attached, 2nd copy)

She then asked me if I thought $15 was fair! I hemmed and hawed, and then agreed while trying to not giveaway my joy that these gems were being had for a song! Lady made my month and there still may be more!!! She told me that she might be mis-remembering the ones I already bought, though!!!

Also, a local used book store is going to on-line and by appointment sales only, so for the last few weeks they have been selling off all their stock at a more reduced discount as the weeks passed, so I was able to pick up 2 virtually pristine copies of Mad Special #9 for 40 cents and 50 cents, respectively!

Found some other cool EC and Mad items as well, including 2 first prints of Signet's "Like, Mad" in unread condition!

Been a crazy few weeks for this MadMan...and I wasn't even looking for them!

It appears Photobucket is down for maintenance currently, and hopefully my wife will let me use her phone camera to take some pictures of the material mentioned above and I can post them here (must be the issue mentioned a few posts above!).

Happily, I was wrong and she called me about a week and a half ago and said she had found a few more. Apparently, a family with twins were giving up the place and at some point both the kids must have bought the same Annual, but along with another copy of WFM #4 (Sunday Comic Section present but unattached, also in about VF condition), she laid the following 4 Annuals on me:

MTFM #4 with Sing-A-Long book (unattached, 2nd copy)

MTFM #8 with Alfred E. Neuman Pop-Art Poster (attached, my 2nd copy)

MF #2 with 1965 Calendar (still intact and in almost as new condition!, 2nd copy, better than my first!!)

WFM #7 with all Protest Signs (attached, 2nd copy)

She then asked me if I thought $15 was fair! I hemmed and hawed, and then agreed while trying to not giveaway my joy that these gems were being had for a song! Lady made my month and there still may be more!!!

That is a terrific story and fine score. The More Trash #8 with the Alfred poster alone paid for everything you got, and thensome.

I see you have a lot of 2nd and 3rd copies... I might have to hit you up for something after I check my wantlist... Like you, I also have managed to get two copies of the Alfred poster issue, even though for years I couldn't find an affordable copy.

The one I really have trouble with is the (Trash/Worst? I mix them up) #9 issue with the Beatles cover and the flexi-disc record. I can never find a nice copy with the record still attached.

Anyway I look forward to your photos. I hope this nice lady turns out to have more magazines to sell you. She got to find a good home for them.