• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

Sharry_by_Fernando.jpg

Commission by Fernando Ruiz as a reward in the Die Kitty Die Kickstarter campaign: Sharry the Spy-girl (created by Tom DeFalco for the four-part "The Man From R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E." storyline which ran in Archie #610-613). Just about as sexy as a female character is allowed to be in a children's comic book, I suppose... (I would love to see her cosplayed. ;) )

Click on the picture to see it in larger format in my CAF-gallery.

I've only got one commission thus far posted way back in this thread. Hoping to get on the Paolo Rivera list for NYCC! This may be a very stupid question, but could someone explain the difference between a sketch and a commission (possibly with pictures?) I understand sketches are generally cheaper if not free with way less time dedicated to them. However, when I google convention sketches what turns up seems to be commissions.

If this isn't the proper thread for this, please remove. Thanks!

This is actually a difficult question to answer.

Convention sketch - something drawn quickly in your presence during a con. Chad drew this in front of me.

nbq9iZHD_0809151324371.jpg

You can see more con sketches collected by my wife for the greatest present ever - a complete sketch book for my 60th birthday. Only a couple were done outside of her presence (Adams and Jusko).

Commission - something drawn at "home" This is clearly a commission. Done by Russ from home.

Heath,%20Russ%20-%20Sea%20Devils%20No.%206.jpg

Click here to see more commissions in my collection.

And then there are things like this

Mt06x2gP_2906141343021.jpg

Jeremy did this over a period of time (Friday early through Sunday afternoon) at Heroes Con. How should it be classified - con sketch or commission? I vacillate on this all the time. I've even changed it from one to the other in my CAF a couple of times.

I don't know if this is helpful, but at least you have some examples. :)

Edited by alxjhnsn

This is actually a difficult question to answer.

Convention sketch - something drawn quickly in your presence during a con. Chad drew this in front of me.

nbq9iZHD_0809151324371.jpg

You can see more con sketches collected by my wife for the greatest present ever - a complete sketch book for my 60th birthday. Only a couple were done outside of her presence (Adams and Jusko).

Commission - something drawn at "home" This is clearly a commission. Done by Russ from home.

Heath,%20Russ%20-%20Sea%20Devils%20No.%206.jpg

Click here to see more commissions in my collection.

And then there are things like this

Mt06x2gP_2906141343021.jpg

Jeremy did this over a period of time (Friday early through Sunday afternoon) at Heroes Con. How should it be classified - con sketch or commission? I vacillate on this all the time. I've even changed it from one to the other in my CAF a couple of times.

I don't know if this is helpful, but at least you have some examples. :)

Thanks!!!

Michael Cho convention sketches on my own custom 9x12 Comic sketch cards. Most of the artists I gave them to were very happy with quality of the card stock given, thanks Kav and liked the idea of the comic titles above their work and some asked me how I made them.

image_zpsczwyjc7p.jpeg

Good idea. I was thinking about that option too but using the 11x14 blue line and just having the title printed. Are you selling those?

Problem with the 11x14 blue line it may not print well, depends on the weight of the paper and type. My paper worked well with copics and Tim Sale complimented it for how well it worked with his ink washes. I will post a couple more examples later, but with better scans. I'm definitely open to it, the initial trial and error was a pain, but as can be seen the end result came out well. I think at this point I have 7-10 different comic mast heads.