• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

About three years ago I got stiffed on some eBay auctions involving OA by Jeff Shultz. They were sold by a scoundrel who has the eBay ID captainnuclear (stay away from him) who never delivered and then quit answering inquiries (after the 60-day complaint period had ended). I decided to cut my losses since there were no large sums involved, but it was annoying nevertheless.

One of the pieces of art that was lost was this Gil Elvgren-inspired Sabrina Spellman, riding on a broom in front of a full moon surrounded by streaks of mist:

Z9dQ4XVs_3003161423131gpaiadd.jpg

When I recently had an e-mail conversation with Jeff on a different subject I told him about the eBay fiasco and asked him if he remembered the picture in question? If that was the case, could he do a recreation? The answer arrived just minutes later: "I can do the Sabrina." He also managed to dig out the picture above from his files. But we both agreed that if it was to be recreated, it also had to be improved (the size should definitely be increased from 9"x12" to 11"x17").

After about a fortnight this arrived in the mail:

Ce0QFGoWIAA1LY9.jpg

11"x17", full colour (Jeff is great with watercolours) with Sabrina in the middle but also her aunts, Zelda & Hilda, added to the scenery. The photo doesn't do the colors justice, but it will give you the general idea. When I told Jeff it was so great it almost made me happy I got stiffed on the eBay deal he responded "You're sure not the only one who's been stiffed by xxx. The rest just aren't happy about it."

Click on the picture to see a larger scan in my Jeff Shultz gallery on CAF.

Edited by Caltex98

Sorry for the quality of some of the scans.

I had Mike Royer draw this based on my Jack Kirby FF storyboard for the Saturday morning cartoon and inspired by a Sunday Daily cartoon strip:

image_zps1nmalk7w.jpeg

Jack Kirby FF storyboard:

image_zps4u20fsqj.png

Plastino:

Pencils (both are originals and separate):

image_zps38gamv1r.jpeg

Inked (original and not inked over the pencils, Al redid it):

7b316e60-083f-4556-8022-b2da4352ba99_zpsnkjes9ky.png

Russ Heath:

image_zpsv2kegg3r.jpeg

Based on this cover:

image_zpsskdfb7wl.jpeg

I've recently begun a commission theme that's a little bit different.

I've commissioned artist extraordinaire, Gary Martin, to aid me in turning one of my favorite spoken word albums, EVERYTHING, from Henry Rollins into a visual narrative. I'm doing the page breakdowns and layouts and then Gary does his magic. So far it's been a great experience. Gary is a true professional and can turn my scripts/stick figure drawings into something fantastic in under 2 weeks.

Lettering is being done on the boards by John Workman.

EVERYTHING isn't for everyone, but if you're a Rollins fan you may enjoy it.

Pe1cJRyD_1304161434001sbpi.jpg

(click to enlarge)

About three years ago I got stiffed on some eBay auctions involving OA by Jeff Shultz. They were sold by a scoundrel who has the eBay ID captainnuclear (stay away from him) who never delivered and then quit answering inquiries (after the 60-day complaint period had ended). I decided to cut my losses since there were no large sums involved, but it was annoying nevertheless.

One of the pieces of art that was lost was this Gil Elvgren-inspired Sabrina Spellman, riding on a broom in front of a full moon surrounded by streaks of mist:

Z9dQ4XVs_3003161423131gpaiadd.jpg

When I recently had an e-mail conversation with Jeff on a different subject I told him about the eBay fiasco and asked him if he remembered the picture in question? If that was the case, could he do a recreation? The answer arrived just minutes later: "I can do the Sabrina." He also managed to dig out the picture above from his files. But we both agreed that if it was to be recreated, it also had to be improved (the size should definitely be increased from 9"x12" to 11"x17").

After about a fortnight this arrived in the mail:

Ce0QFGoWIAA1LY9.jpg

11"x17", full colour (Jeff is great with watercolours) with Sabrina in the middle but also her aunts, Zelda & Hilda, added to the scenery. The photo doesn't do the colors justice, but it will give you the general idea. When I told Jeff it was so great it almost made me happy I got stiffed on the eBay deal he responded "You're sure not the only one who's been stiffed by xxx. The rest just aren't happy about it."

Click on the picture to see a larger scan in my Jeff Shultz gallery on CAF.

Awesome! Glad that turned out well!

Can't remember if I posted this one....it's my latest...

John Lucas took a turn at my theme and created a Doomsday trophy wall, Whack a Mole style..

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1313859

Doomsday%20John%20Lucas_zpsmbhdhebv.jpg

This just arrived the other day. I am thrilled to bits! A big thanks to Stanley for doing this!

2ldyslj.jpg

Hey hey, that's a beautiful piece! How'd you get him to commission that for you? Every time I check his personal commissions aren't open ...

Asked him at NYCC and followed up shortly after. He also said he was busy so I just checked in once a month. In December he accepted when I told him the character I wanted.

Picked up these three at Motor City Con.

Nick is doing the covers for Rocketeer at War so Betty Rocketeer was perfect

3PvPxpXi_1705160318081gpadd.jpg

Raney Starfire I setup before the show and Roux was going to be a B&W but this turned out much better.

K6BX1k3o_1705160314511gpadd.jpg

6dI7SEkP_1705160312591gpadd.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck