• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

oooh those are in great condition, and great issues. I got a small lot of MAD this weekend, and 2 SICK issues in there as well, but they don't look nearly as good as these. I'll post some in a bit. I posted them for sale in the mixed threads section. only took 5 hours to get them ready and listed! :facepalm:

Edited by Bird

oooh those are in great condition, and great issues. I got a small lot of MAD this weekend, and 2 SICK issues in there as well, but they don't look nearly as good as these. I'll post some in a bit. I posted them for sale in the mixed threads section. only took 5 hours to get them ready and listed! :facepalm:

Thanks. My LCS had a new batch of Mad's to check out & I bought the ones that presented better and earlier as the selection of issues they had was between 1962 and 1968, with only the one issue in 1962.

Issue 74 form 62 makes one wonder if the totem's were a bit nervous having Nueman anchoring them.

MAD_74_zpsalnub5rc.jpg

Silly question - are the 'Worst From' books also magazine-size, even though not noted as such in Overstreet?

Yeah, even over a period of decades, all issues and types of Mads seem to be essentially the same size in terms of height and width. (Not counting the first 23 regular issues, which were comics.)

Found a small lot of Mad's again, including issue #94, my personal favorite cover of those I owned back in the day.

MAD_94_zpsrqa2rrjp.jpg

I read somewhere that this was one of William Gaines's all-time favorite covers. I think he might have had the original art framed in his office (I'll have to double-check but it says something like that in one of the behind-the-scenes Mad books, probably the Frank Jacobs "Cover to Cover" book.) Definitely a fun cover, and for some reason my experience has been that this is more difficult than other issues to find in nice condition.

Found a small lot of Mad's again, including issue #94, my personal favorite cover of those I owned back in the day.

MAD_94_zpsrqa2rrjp.jpg

I read somewhere that this was one of William Gaines's all-time favorite covers. I think he might have had the original art framed in his office (I'll have to double-check but it says something like that in one of the behind-the-scenes Mad books, probably the Frank Jacobs "Cover to Cover" book.) Definitely a fun cover, and for some reason my experience has been that this is more difficult than other issues to find in nice condition.

This issue has such a great cover replete with the Mad twist having the Gorilla's "man" those bi-planes instead of men. Not only did Gaines cash in on the King Kong craze, but I wonder if he knew that DC generally posted higher sales for books with Gorilla covers. From my experience my original copy of #94 was pretty well worn due to being my favorite issue and consequently it was read many times.

A cool find last weekend. Rescued from a "hoarder" house. Although I have all the MADs several times over. Many of these were real nice shape and VERY cheap. What really got me though were the early MAD "ripoff" magazines. These are hard to find in any shape. I was very glad to fill in some holes.

madcomics2716_zpsjn9f7k7v.jpg

:applause:

That Batman #199 is probably my favorite cover of any Batman comic. It made a major impression as a little kid when I bought it off the rack originally......probably the sweat beads and the little DC covers....also, loved the breaking of reality, or surreality...

Edited by wpbooks