• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

MC Wyman commission thru eBay from 2013 of Cable & Hope Summers

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1072530

Allan Goldman commission of Cable and Winter Soldier vs Grifter and Backlash from 2014

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1156892

Captain America: Winter Soldier commission by Allan Goldman I won on eBay in late 2014.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1187412

I've dealt with an artist recently that promised me that my paid piece commission will take about 2 months and it ended up taking him 9 months. It turned me off actually from getting any new ones from other artist.

But, I saw my favorite artist on FB that he has his list open for commissions, so my hesitation in getting another commission was forgotten. I told this new artist about my previous experience and true enough it is happening again. He initially promised me that the piece will take about a weekend. then after two weeks he said he got slammed by an assignment and apologized. he promised me again that it will be finished in a couple of days. It has been another 3 weeks now since he last responded to my FB message. I even emailed him directly using his paypal address. No response. My question is, when should I ask for a refund or file a complaint to PayPal about this? should I wait some more? I know Professional work comes first when it comes to artist but IMO they have a responsibility too to their paying customers. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I've dealt with an artist recently that promised me that my paid piece commission will take about 2 months and it ended up taking him 9 months. It turned me off actually from getting any new ones from other artist.

But, I saw my favorite artist on FB that he has his list open for commissions, so my hesitation in getting another commission was forgotten. I told this new artist about my previous experience and true enough it is happening again. He initially promised me that the piece will take about a weekend. then after two weeks he said he got slammed by an assignment and apologized. he promised me again that it will be finished in a couple of days. It has been another 3 weeks now since he last responded to my FB message. I even emailed him directly using his paypal address. No response. My question is, when should I ask for a refund or file a complaint to PayPal about this? should I wait some more? I know Professional work comes first when it comes to artist but IMO they have a responsibility too to their paying customers. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

In my experience, its a common occurrence that an artist will delay a commission for a "pro gig". Commissions are, in most cases, supplemental income to their profession.

I would set up some conditions before any money changes hands -- such as half up front and the other half upon completion, or an option for a full refund if the commission isnt completed by an agreed upon date.

My 2 cents!

I'll keep that in mind. Some artist want them to be paid in full, I've learned my lesson this time. I looked at my PayPal and just found out that I sent the payment to this artist as a"gift". If he doesn't reply or make good on his word I'm screwed. $700 loss on my part.

I'll keep that in mind. Some artist want them to be paid in full, I've learned my lesson this time. I looked at my PayPal and just found out that I sent the payment to this artist as a"gift". If he doesn't reply or make good on his word I'm screwed. $700 loss on my part.

One reason why I've never use the "gift" option. I've had artists ask me to use it -- a comic store did, too, when I purchased a great OA cover -- and I've always been uneasy about it.

Some artists are slow to meet their obligation. Don't give up hope. If worse comes to worse, there's always the public option: share the artist's name with your fellow collectors and spare us from making the same mistake.

One reason why I've never use the "gift" option. I've had artists ask me to use it -- a comic store did, too, when I purchased a great OA cover -- and I've always been uneasy about it.

Some artists are slow to meet their obligation. Don't give up hope. If worse comes to worse, there's always the public option: share the artist's name with your fellow collectors and spare us from making the same mistake.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll PM you who it is and maybe you have information if he's done it to other collectors too.