• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

Many big name artists don't take home commissions.

In my experience they all take them.

For the right price.

I suppose. A few I reached out to said they don't have time. Specifically JG Jones, Mahmud Asrar, Babs Tarr, and Stanley Lau.

Asrar takes pre-show commission lists. Jones takes them sometimes, but he takes a long time to get them done. I've only seen headshots done at shows from Babs. No idea about Stanley.

I emailed Stanley's rep twice and got no response, so I messaged Stanley himself through deviantart and he replied "contact my rep" :(

it seems like you have to post something on Stanley's reps social media sites saying something to the effect of 'hey, I emailed you but haven't gotten a response' to get a response from him. I did this via instagram and finally got a response.

For me, initial contact and/or a reply has been my biggest hurdle. I am hoping it is my inexperience.

Who, in particular, are you having trouble contacting? Maybe one of us can help you out.

Well, for instance, here is a situation that describes my luck on this subject.

Michael Golden is scheduled to appear at Wizard New Orleans, which I will attend. Wizards website lists an email specifically for arranging commissions for Mr. Golden, in advance. I used it and got no response. After a couple weeks, I sent him a message via Facebook, and nothing. Its rather frustrating and I DO NOT want to hound anyone as I feel it very rude, but what should I think here?

I did the EXACT same thing with Cary Nord and got the exact same lack of response.

There are other artists that I would love to get commissions from like Romita (see my counterfeit purchase in the "fakers" thread), Sal Buscema, Steranko, Severin, Pagulayan, and a few others (I realize these are big names).

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong and frankly, I don't want to do anything considered rude or inappropriate. In the past, I have avoided attempts to make contact with the artists and settled for trying to buy on the secondary market, but I have been burned there.

Nord is repped by Jason with Essential Sequential. He's very good at getting back to you via email.

Paguluyan I believe is repped by Kirk Dilbeck. He is also very responsive.

Golden has a checkered past regarding at home commissions. You should research that before going into anything outside of an at show commission.

Good luck with anything from some of the other names. I doubt they do commissions and if they do it'll be for $$$.

For me, initial contact and/or a reply has been my biggest hurdle. I am hoping it is my inexperience.

Who, in particular, are you having trouble contacting? Maybe one of us can help you out.

Well, for instance, here is a situation that describes my luck on this subject.

Michael Golden is scheduled to appear at Wizard New Orleans, which I will attend. Wizards website lists an email specifically for arranging commissions for Mr. Golden, in advance. I used it and got no response. After a couple weeks, I sent him a message via Facebook, and nothing. Its rather frustrating and I DO NOT want to hound anyone as I feel it very rude, but what should I think here?

I did the EXACT same thing with Cary Nord and got the exact same lack of response.

I'm not sure about Nord, but I've had experience dealing with Michael Golden and his rep, Renee. She is not good about relying to e-mails. And I think that Michael very rarely checks his Facebook. But Michael draws all weekend at conventions. I've gotten something from him at a Wizard World New Orleans before and the best thing is just to go to him right at the start of the show and explain what you want. Renee will take the money and Michael will have it drawn by the end of the show.

Just received my first commission in the mail today! From Allen Bellman at the Grand Rapids Comic Con. Very pleased to have this be the first art commission to enter my collection, from a legend of the Golden Age.

Bellman.jpg