• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

This is my newest piece in my homage series to Bob Larkin’s famous Hulk poster. Pencils from David Finch were done back in 2010 and I recently had Jonathan Glapion add inks. I couldn’t be happier with the finished result.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1264740&GSub=132359

4n1MdJTF_1210151344571.JPG

Nice!

New to commissions but here is what I have and what got me started.

Picked up this Batman sketch from Neal Adams and Garden State Comic Fest in May. One of my favorite characters by the one of, if not the definitive artist? Got my juices going for similar ideas.

sharelogo.pngBatman by Neal Adams 70's style

Gdz4DDJB_0709151009091.JPG

Click Here to visit my Art Gallery on comicartfans.com!

In that vein, I remembered Jose Delbo did a good cheunk of the Wonder Woman comics I liked. The only direction I gave was I wanted the "eagle" logo as opposed to the "WW" which was enough of tip off to what I wanted. I was thrilled with the piece and it was finished in under two weeks !

sharelogo.pngWonder Woman by Jose Delbo

URFJMJGY_0609152353301.JPG

Which brought to my favorite character and huge roadblock: Spider-Man

I physically started sorted through my ASM comics and finally found an artist from the period I liked who was doing commissions: Keith Pollard. While not the "definitive" artist in the way the other two pieces were I was just happy to find an artist who could do "my" Spidey who had a decent run on the main book during the bronze age. The only direction in hindsight I wish I had given was to keep the eyes smaller but beyond that it's exactly what I was looking for.

sharelogo.pngSpider-Man by Keith Pollard

41m6eMrR_1310151919181.JPG

Do most of you folks get your commissions at shows/conventions? I have tried contacting artists and almost never get any responses.

First check if they have a rep. If they do, that's who you need to contact.

59 commissions:

• 12 bought after market (ebay, pre-drawn bought at show, dealers, etc)
  • 38 bought through e-mail / website directly from artist
  • 02 bought as pre-show with pickup at show
  • 08 Live at show (above sketch grade)
  • 03 Kickstarter

I also have 31 done live at shows or signings that I count as convention sketches, but really a bunch of those are lots more than just sketches.

So the 8 above should maybe be higher and the 31 "sketches" lower.

Does that help?

Many big name artists don't take home commissions.

In my experience they all take them.

For the right price.

I suppose. A few I reached out to said they don't have time. Specifically JG Jones, Mahmud Asrar, Babs Tarr, and Stanley Lau.