• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

Has anyone discussed taking over the project? I would be willing to invest time and money in order to make the book a reality. Certainly most of the research has been done up to this point. I would think this would be more than possible considering how much interest everyone has in the subject matter (among collectors that is).

Has anyone discussed taking over the project? I would be willing to invest time and money in order to make the book a reality. Certainly most of the research has been done up to this point. I would think this would be more than possible considering how much interest everyone has in the subject matter (among collectors that is).

+1

Seems like the perfect project for a crowd-funding venture where the money raised could be used to bring in a third party to finish the job.

I asked Stephen about it this weekend. He said that it became logistically difficult with Matt in FL now plus family, kids, etc.I think he said a third or so of the book is done but a third party company recently approached them to issue chapters electronically - to keep it alive to some degree and whet people's appetites. I hope something happens with it.

Edited by archiefan

+1

Seems like the perfect project for a crowd-funding venture where the money raised could be used to bring in a third party to finish the job.

True, and if Matt partnered with someone with the time to finish the work he started, the project could reach fruition that much faster. Weirdly enough, this might be a great joint venture between the two respected encapsulation companies since the identification of pedigrees is contingent upon the grading process. If workable, it would benefit the hobby and both company's bottom lines. I know this sounds highly unlikely, but this book cries out for publication at the earliest possible date.

My 2c

The problem with this type of book is it's almost out of date the minute it is printed, with all the new pads pooping up.

But you could easily update it digitally, like a lot of reference books these days.

Yes, definitely a problem with keeping it current once they introduced the CGC angle to it.

They really should have just stuck with the history and background of each pedigree and left out the CGC related charts and populations related statistics which indeed are outdated even before the book comes to print.

The problem with this type of book is it's almost out of date the minute it is printed, with all the new pads pooping up.

But you could easily update it digitally, like a lot of reference books these days.

Yes, definitely a problem with keeping it current once they introduced the CGC angle to it.

They really should have just stuck with the history and background of each pedigree and left out the CGC related charts and populations related statistics which indeed are outdated even before the book comes to print.

Keeping it up to date could be done digitally, and through periodic revised editions. While a publication of this type should be done relatively independent of influence from grading services, their involvement is essential from the standpoint of recognition because grading services determine which pedigrees achieve official recognition.

But digital isn't where this needs to be for the larger collecting community. There needs to be a published volume (preferably HC or flexibound) that has full library/bookstore status for full public acceptance.

The pedigree stories put a human face on the history of collecting which contributes to the nostalgic tapestry that surrounds the hobby. It's great that Matt created a website with a wealth of information on pedigrees, and the amount of work he's put into this project deserves our highest praise. But what would benefit the community even more is establishing a cultural appreciation for pedigrees through publishing this information as a evolving history book.

Interestingly, the desire for this book has never wavered, and the need for it is perhaps greater now than before. :wishluck:

the desire for this book has never wavered, and the need for it is perhaps greater now than before. :wishluck:

The fate of the free world depends on it!

I would think it would be logistically challenging to get the 4 back together to finish (shrug)

It's easy to collaborate "virtually" on efforts like this with the current state of telecommunications and web-based tools. I work daily with a much larger team on much more complex efforts than what would be required for the book.

Too bad they don't recruit a third author, turn over the material they've gathered and let him or her finish the project. Still a great idea for a book.

Done right, I think it could appeal to people beyond us hard-core geekaroos.

Not saying anything is definite, but discussions were had in Chicago this weekend with a third author candidate. This gentleman has extensive experience in writing for this hobby

I will keep abreast of what transpires

I would think it would be logistically challenging to get the 4 back together to finish (shrug)

And that's what they said about the Beatles and look how that turned out...oh, wait, never mind.

Who were the Fab 4 originally working on the project? Please don't tell me Yoko Ono was involved in this too! :cry:

Too bad they don't recruit a third author, turn over the material they've gathered and let him or her finish the project. Still a great idea for a book.

Done right, I think it could appeal to people beyond us hard-core geekaroos.

Not saying anything is definite, but discussions were had in Chicago this weekend with a third author candidate. This gentleman has extensive experience in writing for this hobby

I will keep abreast of what transpires

Well, that's one important conversation I somehow missed this past weekend. :o

Good to know, and thanks for sharing that nugget.

If more comes to light, this thread will be waiting. (thumbs u

the desire for this book has never wavered, and the need for it is perhaps greater now than before. :wishluck:

If this book doesn't happen then the terrorists have won.

Ken

If this book doesn't happen then the terrorists have won.

Ken

:signfunny:

That one made me chuckle out loud

It's easy to collaborate "virtually" on efforts like this with the current state of telecommunications and web-based tools. I work daily with a much larger team on much more complex efforts than what would be required for the book.

I have been led to believe that it is not the logistics, but a disagreement between a couple of the collaborators which has stopped the project from moving forward. I finally asked for a refund of my advertising money after I was told it was likely not happening.

Much effort was put into the book, and I am disappointed it won't be coming out.

I have been led to believe that it is not the logistics, but a disagreement between a couple of the collaborators which has stopped the project from moving forward. I finally asked for a refund of my advertising money after I was told it was likely not happening.

Much effort was put into the book, and I am disappointed it won't be coming out.

+1 :(