• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

I have started to scan my acquisitions from Comic-con i San Diego (the large ones will have to wait until I get back to work on Thursday next week where I have access to a slightly bigger scanner which accepts 12x18).

First Rich Koslowski had inked Bill Galvan's Sabrina sketch from two years ago:

Sabrina_50_SER.jpg

Looks really great, I think. Rich knows his stuff. Check out his embellishments over Fernando Ruiz pencils on Archie vs the Predator if you haven't already done so.

Then Bill graciously made this contribution in my sketchbook:

United_girls_against_jughead_SER.jpg

It is inspired by the sinister organization described i Archie #649, "United Girls Against Jughead" and shows part of its membership: Ethel Muggs, Trula Twyst & Wendy "Double W" Weatherbee. Bill drew as many girls as his busy schedule allowed him to. I'm considering asking Rich to ink this one too...

Click on the pictures to see them in my CAF gallery.

Two more from this summer.

Rich Koslowski made beautiful 4x4" watercolors of comic book characters in Artist's Alley at Comic-con i San Diego this year, so I promptly ordered "a mischievous Veronica" and this is what I could pick up when I went by his table the next day:

WatVer.jpg

Gisèle Lagacé added this beautiful portrait of Sabrina Spellman as a bonus in a recent deal regarding some of her (rather scarce) OA pages for Archie Comics. There are not many current artists that can make a satisfying rendering of my favourite teenage witch, but Gisèle is definitely one of them:

Sab_Gis.jpg

I am very pleased with these additions to my collection. Click on the pictures to see slightly larger ones in my CAF gallery.

Edited by Caltex98

I can't really say that getting on Terry Dodson's sketch list was the main reason for me going to San Diego this year, but I would lie if I should suggest that it had nothing to with it at all. :whistle:

Anyway, Terry managed to do something very difficult: Improve on Dan DeCarlo's cover for Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch #4 from 1971 (in my humble opinion one of Dan's very best covers, ever).

Terry_sabrina_boards_collectors.jpg

Click on the picture to see it in my Terry Dodson-gallery on CAF together with some additional images. He has described what materials he used to create it on his blog.

Commission from Charles a few years back. Love his art and he took my concept and ran with it, exceeding my expectations.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1248376&GSub=115616

xlajJM1x_0908150210031.jpg

Ok this thing is so amazing. How do you describe what you want when commissioning something like this?

That’s a great question and I want to say that there have been some threads on the topic of direction on commissions. Charles is renowed for drawing Pooh styled characters and had already done a number of hero related pieces, including a few Hulks. Being a fan of his art, Pooh, and the Hulk, I came up with the hunny pot idea after mulling it for a while. I think I even chatted him up at a show on the idea before we kicked it off. The characters were my idea as was Hulk Pooh being caught after using his fellow Avenger’s items as hunny pots. The rest is Charles. Perfect commission experience for me and I loved the result. Thanks

A ton of beautiful work here recently.

I have a question for the group - what do you do with a commission piece that feels like a let down?

I got a commission at SDCC which I was pretty excited about, and when I got it, really felt like a letdown. Didn't feel like the artists best work to me and was not even really in the style I had imagined. I've gotten work from the artist before and enjoyed it, but this time I was very disappointed.

What do you do with the art? How do you handle the let down?

I have a question for the group - what do you do with a commission piece that feels like a let down?

I got a commission at SDCC which I was pretty excited about, and when I got it, really felt like a letdown. Didn't feel like the artists best work to me and was not even really in the style I had imagined. I've gotten work from the artist before and enjoyed it, but this time I was very disappointed.

Let down is part of the commission game. If you do enough you are likely to be let down to some degree as you will always have an idea/vision/expectation about the art and sometimes it doesn’t match with the final art. I have learned that this will happen myself, although very infrequently, and just move on when it happens. I see two differences in being let down – let down from a style perspective, and being let down from an effort invested perspective. If the artist’s interpretation is something that I am not crazy about you just have to live with it or trade/sell the art. If the artist doesn’t appear to have put in the amount of work associated with the cost and how the commission was advertised, then I think you have cause to approach the artist. For lower cost commissions it is pretty much a move-on scenario for me. If I were to commission a cover quality piece I would have higher expectations. To date, I have only had a couple commissions that were slight disappointments but none where I felt the artist did not invest the effort/work that was expected.

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but thought I'd share some of my pick-ups from the con season. There are many more new pieces on my CAF besides these, so please feel free to swing by and see some art and leave a comment or two if you feel moved.

Daenerys Targaryen (from Game of Thrones) by Stuart Sayger - HeroesCon 2015

moh9EOqI_2206152220381.jpg

Savage Land Rogue by Arthur Adams - HeroesCon 2015

dO7oJ4hp_2506150030271.jpg

Katniss Everdeen by Mark Sparacio - HeroesCon 2015

FGZtodfc_0508151945491.jpg

Rachel (from Rachel Rising) by Terry Moore - SDCC 2015

t7R6H1Ps_0508151941271.jpg

Daenerys Targaryen by Terry Dodson - SDCC 2015

2GEsvJ8g_0508151957031.jpg

First, not sure how I missed this thread, but I wanted to show off a commission I just got done recently by Carlos Silva at Ed Benes Studio (some nsfw stuff there):

vQi0shoH_0402161726151.jpg

With the commission I got above, I was really impressed with the way they asked for approval after the initial sketch phase and even after it was finished they asked if I was OK with everything. If you can find people who do the process like this, you might be able to avoid the letdown. I know I was pretty worried about that, but I was really happy with how this one turned out.

Edited by jbmulder

I have known Dave Devries for years, and recently saw him at a local comic show. He had some amazing paintings there, and I had an idea that I felt Dave would knock out of the park.

The topic was a recreation to the cover of Detective Comics 31. I was floored at the result!

Devries Detective 31 Homage

15i6r2w.jpg

Thanks for looking!

AJ