• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

I got a commission from MC Wyman off Ebay. Turned out exactly like I asked! Its a homage to the cover of The Mighty Thor 147, only using characters from Loki:Agent of Asgard instead. With young Loki in Thor's place, King Loki in classic Loki's place and the All-mothers(Gaea, Idunn and Freyja) in Odin's place.

tumblr_n99vr34mvb1qbr00oo1_1280.jpg

I got a commission from MC Wyman off Ebay. Turned out exactly like I asked! Its a homage to the cover of The Mighty Thor 147, only using characters from Loki:Agent of Asgard instead. With young Loki in Thor's place, King Loki in classic Loki's place and the All-mothers(Gaea, Idunn and Freyja) in Odin's place.

tumblr_n99vr34mvb1qbr00oo1_1280.jpg

:applause: Superb

I know this thread is mostly used as a chance to show off commissioned art that has come in, but thought it might be worthwhile to also get back to a conversation about the topic of commissions as well. The ups and downs of the process, pitfalls and the like.

I posted in the thread about correction fluid, and it seems apparent to me that one of the biggest things to come to grips with, when it comes to commissions, are the expectations. These can be many, and varied throughout the process. Expectations about turnaround times is something we've talked about many times. Mostly because it is all too common to have optimistic artists quote completion dates that number in the months, if not years.

Over the last 20+ years I have seen dashed expectations that have included other things.

Content of the image (ranging from composition, pose alterations, to additional characters &/or things omitted intentionally by an artist, etc.

Quality of the image (generally not living up to the expected drawing standards that the artist typically exhibits in their work)

Execution of the image (working techniques used by the artist )

Size of the image (generally an image being larger, or more often smaller)

Tools and materials used on the piece (markers & cheap pens, to odd papers and surfaces)

These are just off the top of my head, and I am certain there are many more. And they do overlap considerably.

I've seen commissions that were specified to be a single figure on 11" x 17" board, and the artist drew the figure at about 4 or 5" high on that board, with the rest being background. Sometimes this can be cool, and sometimes this is a major disappointment. Why? Expectations.

It's impossible to not have any at all, even if they are just really vague, like I want something "cool".

Back when I used to commission a lot of work, I very quickly realized the best pieces I was getting were the ones where I let the artist run rampant and have their way. After all, the reason I was drawn to their art in the first place was because I was a fan of them doing what they did. So I was personally never the "art director" type of collector. By that, I mean that I have seen guys get commissions from an artist, and proceed to tell the artist exactly what they wanted drawn, down to the exact composition, and even request prelims with the right to request alterations. It certainly is a working method, and one where they seek to control the meeting of their expectations. But to me, most of those pieces always ended up a bit lifeless. Not always the case, but more often than not. Simply because in talking to those artists myself afterwards, they explain about not being personally invested as an artist. They become more of a hired hand to execute a vision. Some guys excel at this, and some very much do not. And some will flat out refuse that kind of work.

The pieces I have seen that have really blown me away, have very often been the ones where the artist was given a subject matter and been left to run with their own ideas. Often times coming back with pieces that far exceeded the money value exchanged at the time, just for the pleasure of working on the piece. It does complicate the expectations issue though, because it's a wider field for hits and misses to occur on.

The one thing that is important to spell out though, is if you have any aversions to certain tools, materials etc. or any expectations about basics like size of the piece, shipping materials or methods, dislike of markers, etc. Those are things that should be stipulated up front before the process starts. And in some cases reiterated, if the piece takes longer than anticipated.

Sometimes commissioning art is a live and learn proposition. You may learn that sometimes an artist that charges a "range" of prices (and encourages you to pay up to whatever dollar value you want him to work to), actually does as good a piece for $60 as he does for $300. Or you might find that an artist might use markers and cheap paper for commissions. Or any one of a number of variables you hadn't thought to ask about in advance.

I think it's a balancing act. Not putting too many stipulations on a commission so that it feels so onerous to the artist as to be not fun. But enough to make sure we aren't so disappointed in the end. When things go right, they can be amazing! And when things go really wrong, we can end up with nothing but bad memories.

I recently received a commission from Enric Torres (Warren Vampirella artist).

For BigWOWComicFest Sanjulián did a sweet Rocketeer featuring Riki (Cosplay), unfortunately I lost out on winning it at the auction. But I liked the idea so I commissioned Enric to do Betty Rocketeer. Thrilled with the results, now I just need to get it framed.

Betty_Rocketeer_enric.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

I recently received a commission from Enric Torres (Warren Vampirella artist).

For BigWOWComicFest Sanjulien did a sweet Rocketeer featuring Riki (Cosplay), unfortunately I post out on winning it at the auction. But I liked the idea so I commissioned Enric to do Betty Rocketeer. Thrilled with the results, now I just need to get it framed.

Betty_Rocketeer_enric.jpg

WOW! ^^