• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

I am bumping this thread in the hopes of getting an answer on the San Francisco pedigree seeing this is the "Official Pedigree Book" thread.

I was reading Matt's website: http://www.detective27.com/pedigreearticle.htm

I came across this note on the San Francisco pedigree from Matt as follows:

On an interesting note, the name "San Francisco" is misleading. At no time were the books of this pedigreed collection in San Francisco. One source feels the proper name should be the "Tom Reilly" collection, named after the original owner.

The questions are:

Do you know who named the Tom Reilly collection as “San Francisco” and what was the reasoning for naming the Tom Reilly collection as San Francisco?

These questions are mainly directed towards Matt Nelson, but if anyone else has information please it for all of us to know!

I read there were many people involved in the purchase of these books and that Robert Beerbohm was responsible for most of the initial sales of the collection.

I just wanted to get an understanding of why a seemingly awesome collection could be named incorrectly.

Thanks!

Eric

Redbeard "named" the collection accidentally. He was impressed when he saw the books and knew they were in the bay area, so he would ask "Do you have any books from that San Francisco collection?"

Just an FYI, that's my site, not Matt's. He gave me permission to post the article to my site.

He posted it as Matt's, that means you get to finish the book now.

I decided.

Just an FYI, that's my site, not Matt's. He gave me permission to post the article to my site.

He posted it as Matt's, that means you get to finish the book now.

I decided.

I'll get right on it. (thumbs u

I am bumping this thread in the hopes of getting an answer on the San Francisco pedigree seeing this is the "Official Pedigree Book" thread.

On an interesting note, the name "San Francisco" is misleading. At no time were the books of this pedigreed collection in San Francisco. One source feels the proper name should be the "Tom Reilly" collection, named after the original owner.

The questions are:

Do you know who named the Tom Reilly collection as “San Francisco” and what was the reasoning for naming the Tom Reilly collection as San Francisco?

These questions are mainly directed towards Matt Nelson, but if anyone else has information please it for all of us to know!

I read there were many people involved in the purchase of these books and that Robert Beerbohm was responsible for most of the initial sales of the collection.

I just wanted to get an understanding of why a seemingly awesome collection could be named incorrectly.

Thanks!

Eric

Redbeard "named" the collection accidentally. He was impressed when he saw the books and knew they were in the bay area, so he would ask "Do you have any books from that San Francisco collection?"

Yeah, I think Beerbohm has objected to the "San Francisco" designation on the grounds that he was told that the Reilly family actually lived in Piedmont in the East Bay, rather than in San Francisco itself. Or so the story goes. After reading various threads about this collection, there seem to be many mysteries.

The questions are:

Thanks!

Eric

Yeah, I think Beerbohm has objected to the "San Francisco" designation on the grounds that he was told that the Reilly family actually lived in Piedmont in the East Bay, rather than in San Francisco itself. Or so the story goes. After reading various threads about this collection, there seem to be many mysteries.

Mike Munyak would be a good person to ask if I run into him

Thanks for the information (thumbs u

Ah, I apologize! I see the article contribution is done by Matt Nelson, and wasn't aware someone else owned the site. Thanks for the clarification.

Not to change the subject from this serious discussion or anything, but to change the subject...here's the worst example of a Circle 8 book I found in my collection...I have no idea where it came from... doh!

2ujmon5.jpg

Water damaged, extra staple, extra staple holes, writing on cover, chipping all round, pieces out of cover, creases, tan pages (apparently) . . .

Upgrade here I come!!

:takeit:

Here's my contribution. As I've mentioned in previous posts, Cap #26 is my favorite Schomburg cover and I'm happy to own such a coveted pedigreed copy of this issue. Though the technical grade is a 6.0, it obviously presents much higher.

Cap26fc.jpg

mariobump.jpg

So Billy Wright showed up unexpectedly in 2012. How many GA pedigrees do you think are still out in the wild? I'm sure there are plenty of awesome collections but original owner is getting tough to do these days.

Thoughts?

and as a side conversation - SA pedigrees? Twin Cities and Don & Maggie books assured me that there are plenty of 9.6/9.8 SA marvel collections out there.

Too bad they don't recruit a third author, turn over the material they've gathered and let him or her finish the project. Still a great idea for a book.

Done right, I think it could appeal to people beyond us hard-core geekaroos.

I've done a few digitally digitally produced books, and have a bit of free time these days :whistle:

The problem with this type of book is it's almost out of date the minute it is printed, with all the new pads pooping up.

But you could easily update it digitally, like a lot of reference books these days.

kinda surprised they abandoned it ???