• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

Cody Schibi's take on the Green Goblin claiming the "Iron" Throne:

eXdCsMmq_3001141426061.jpg

What process to you go through when selecting your artists? Haven't heard of many you have chosen and they all have come out so great.

Thanks! Whomever will work the cheapest!!! :grin:

Actually, most of them were artists that I have commissioned in the past, so I've been familiar with their work, but some, such as Cody, I just found his work online and thought he might be a good fit. Occasionally I've asked some of the art dealers I know if they may have an artist they represent who would be interested in my theme. That's how Riley Rossmo and Sheldon Vella ended up doing pieces for me. Neither were taking commissions at the time, but both were instantly inspired and came up with very cool pieces. And every now and then, our fellow collectors will suggest an artist to look into. It helps that most of them have been fans of either the books or show as well and I usually give them free reign to pick the character they want to claim the throne. It's been fun!

That's awesome! Finding a theme that I enjoy and that is also sustainable as yours is has been a challenge for me. I also don't have any real experience with trying to match artists with a theme. I'm always curious when I see people that have done it well. Thanks!

I got the PMS commission in the mails today. I can't recommend him enough...it was the best commission experience I've had yet.

8ysFP0M1_0702141750561.jpg

If you follow the link to CAF, check out the cute Kitty & Lockheed doodle he included. :)

I got the PMS commission in the mails today. I can't recommend him enough...it was the best commission experience I've had yet.

8ysFP0M1_0702141750561.jpg

If you follow the link to CAF, check out the cute Kitty & Lockheed doodle he included. :)

Oops...someone on CAF just informed me that the doodle is actually Chance Falconer from the Leave It To Chance series that PMS illustrated. doh!

Chance's dragon's name is St. George. In 1994 or 1995 or so PMS was a guest at a Mid-Ohio con I attended. I think that was the year I got my John Byrne stamp as well. Anyway, PMS was not drawing but after some conniving he agreed to do a quick sketch on a backing board of Lockheed staring down St. George. Just head sketches. he talked about their design differences and gave me a nice few minutes. I have never seen him at a show again. I hope those two things are not causally related.

Chance's dragon's name is St. George. In 1994 or 1995 or so PMS was a guest at a Mid-Ohio con I attended. I think that was the year I got my John Byrne stamp as well. Anyway, PMS was not drawing but after some conniving he agreed to do a quick sketch on a backing board of Lockheed staring down St. George. Just head sketches. he talked about their design differences and gave me a nice few minutes. I have never seen him at a show again. I hope those two things are not causally related.

And why is this not on CAF? :taptaptap:

And why is this not on CAF? :taptaptap:

I don't know. I was kinda surprised myself when I went to check. Maybe later today.

Hi all - very excited to have seen the pencils to my first-ever commission today. Alan Kupperberg is doing a recreation of one of my favorite covers of all time - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1. He emailed me the pencils today and I was blown away!

Frank

I got my first in-person commission today. I'm a big Terry Moore and really like his newest book, Rachel Rising.

Kind of a funny story. He told me he doesn't usually do sketches at shows, but it was a slow weekend so he'd draw something for me on an 8.5x11. The problem was, he didn't have any paper and there are no Rachel Rising blanks. He ended up borrowing an 11x17 from another artist and folded it in half.

The fold isn't quite square and I haven't decided yet whether to just leave it as it is, or trim it to square. :shrug:

Anyhow. I'm really happy with it. I was expecting less detail than I ended up getting.

LaF2xOzl.jpg

Edited by erazer

Hey, I have a question about commissions maybe you guys can answer. I've never had any done. I'm wondering about the publication rights to the art. I've been looking through sites for a lot of different artists; some of them say stuff like "the artist retains all rights to private commissions," while in other instances, the sample artwork is shown with a copyright belonging to the person who the art was done for rather than the artist.

Is this something negotiated on an individual basis? Or...?

It's unlikely I would ever publish anything I had done as a commission, of course, but I guess it could happen in theory, so I am just wondering how the rights work.

I got a ton of art this weekend at Wizard World New Orleans, and will be posting a lot this week as I scan it, but here are three sketches I got in by Atomic Robo and Firebreather sketch books:

SmRUPNZz_0902141911411.jpg

Atomic Robo pencil doodle by Eric Powell

BOF8jZzt_0902141922271.jpg

Atomic Robo as the Fourth Doctor by J.K. Woodward

gq47Jxrg_0902141935181.jpg

Firebreather marker drawing by Humberto Ramos