• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

maybe they could split the book into multiple parts "like the Gerber books". they could publish what they have finished as book 1 and then do another for the newer pedigrees and the unfinished existing pedigrees /shrug

How about pedigrees discovered up until 1995, then 2005, etc? Not the best format but it would sell regardless of how they roll it out and chances are they could easily update it every 5-7 years as more collections come to market.

Like Guinness Book of World Records or Farmers Almanac

How about pedigrees discovered up until 1995, then 2005, etc? Not the best format but it would sell regardless of how they roll it out and chances are they could easily update it every 5-7 years as more collections come to market.
They have already planned two volumes: one for GA and one for SA.

They have already planned two volumes: one for GA and one for SA.

Yeah but SA pedigrees could be popping up every two months over the next 10 years which is why I think it would be easier if they used cut off dates of when they were discovered.

As new pedigrees are discovered, a book becomes obsolete,

I disagree. Regardless of how many new pedigrees are discovered, the book would still be both relevant and valuable with respect to the pedigrees it covers. That is why they should publish it now with whatever pedigrees they have thus far investigated. As others have stated, they can always publish updates or another book later.

I think that this inexplicable delay is extremely counter-productive from a marketing standpoint. The intense excitement and interest I initially had when the book was first announced continues to wane with each passing year of delay. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

You're correct I used too strong a word, a book would not be obsolete - it would be a snapshot in time of the first and perhaps most important pedigrees. I have been as enthusiastic as anyone about this book - I was only suggesting some possible options.

I'd love to have a few copies of a book! :)

You're correct I used too strong a word, a book would not be obsolete - it would be a snapshot in time of the first and perhaps most important pedigrees. I have been as enthusiastic as anyone about this book - I was only suggesting some possible options.

I'd love to have a few copies of a book! :)

Matt and Steve- Just Do it!!!! It is a service to the collecting community and part of the context that makes our hobby "mystical" jb

As a collector who paid up-front for this release set over a decade ago, the snail's pace should've made me angry. But I've come to the conclusion that these labor of love projects take an incredible amount of dedication and money to reach fruition. Since there is limited public support to get them off the ground, much less finished and marketed, it mostly falls on the shoulders of one or more authors trying to balance business and family responsibilities. (shrug)

Just my 2c

a guy was going down his porch steps one morning, and saw a snail on the bottom step. he picked it up and hurled it as far as he could into the woods adjacent to his house.

6 mos. later the guy was going down his steps one morning. he saw a snail on the bottom step. the snail said "what the hell did you do that for?"

I think we should get a list of all folks who pre-paid on this solicitation said the snail to the man.

After all these years of waiting for those that prepaid, perhaps they should nominate Matt for the probation list or H.O.S.

It'd be kind of interesting for someone employed by the company, with mod "powers" to be put in the H.O.S.

Heck, we could even put his name in green on the list, just to show his status. :D

Pedigree status is acknowledged by CGC based on a combination of the following criteria:

•The collection must be original owner. This means that the books must have been bought off the newsstand as they came out. For example, a collector cannot buy a high-grade run of 1940s comics from various sources and expect it to be considered a pedigree. The original owner need not currently own the comics for the collection to be considered for pedigree status.

•The collection must be of vintage material. This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree. In fact, until the sale of some key White Mountain books in a Sotheby’s auction in the early 1990s, Silver Age comics were not accepted as pedigree collections. Comic books from 1966 and after are relatively common in high grade compared to earlier issues. This occurred as a direct result of a tremendous explosion in the number of collectors in fandom in the mid-1960s. Collections that are primarily from 1966 and after must have average grades of at least 9.4 to be considered a pedigree.

•The collection must consist of a considerable number of comics. Most pedigree collections consist of at least 1,000 books and some number over 10,000 comics. The collections that consist of fewer books, such as the Allentown and Denver collections, must include extremely rare, important, and/or key material.

•The collection must be high-grade. Comics from the Silver Age in general would have to be 9.2 and higher, and a collection of exclusive Silver Age material must have an average grade of 9.4. Golden Age comics would have to be high-grade as well. For example, the Lost Valley collection consisted of many golden age books from before 1941 that were technically mid-grade, but were almost across the board the highest graded copy for that book. Page quality must be nice as well.

As new pedigrees are discovered, a book becomes obsolete,

I disagree. Regardless of how many new pedigrees are discovered, the book would still be both relevant and valuable with respect to the pedigrees it covers. That is why they should publish it now with whatever pedigrees they have thus far investigated. As others have stated, they can always publish updates or another book later.

I think that this inexplicable delay is extremely counter-productive from a marketing standpoint. The intense excitement and interest I initially had when the book was first announced continues to wane with each passing year of delay. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Totally agree that the delay is counter-productive from a marketing standpoint. At this point the continuous delays have completely dampened the initial excitement and enthusiam I had when the book was first mentioned. I hate to say it, but at this point I could really care less if the book is published or not. meh

He assured me in an e-mail a few days ago that the book will get done. He's just been swamped...

Good news … but I hope he's being realistic. To repeat my earlier suggestion, at this point, I have a feeling his best (only?) bet is to bring in a third author to write up whatever material he's got and just get the thing out the door.

As an author myself, I know a little bit about time frames and how tough it is to juggle several projects and other work at the same time. An author has to write something every day, or the book will never get finished. If this is Matt's first book, he may not know that rule. MATT...write something EVERY DAY (even if it's for only 10 minutes) and the book will magically get done...

I am bumping this thread in the hopes of getting an answer on the San Francisco pedigree seeing this is the "Official Pedigree Book" thread.

I was reading Matt's website: http://www.detective27.com/pedigreearticle.htm

I came across this note on the San Francisco pedigree from Matt as follows:

On an interesting note, the name "San Francisco" is misleading. At no time were the books of this pedigreed collection in San Francisco. One source feels the proper name should be the "Tom Reilly" collection, named after the original owner.

The questions are:

Do you know who named the Tom Reilly collection as “San Francisco” and what was the reasoning for naming the Tom Reilly collection as San Francisco?

These questions are mainly directed towards Matt Nelson, but if anyone else has information please it for all of us to know!

I read there were many people involved in the purchase of these books and that Robert Beerbohm was responsible for most of the initial sales of the collection.

I just wanted to get an understanding of why a seemingly awesome collection could be named incorrectly.

Thanks!

Eric