• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

I don't think I posted a scan of this one since I deslabbed it. It was an old label slabbed by Conrad in 2002 as an 8.0...... nicest "8.0" I've ever seen.

101_2387.jpg

Were you able to tell which defects made it an 8.0? The cover looks flawless.

I don't think I posted a scan of this one since I deslabbed it. It was an old label slabbed by Conrad in 2002 as an 8.0...... nicest "8.0" I've ever seen. The back story always choked me up on this Edenwald copy..... it seems the original owner had recently been killed in 'Nam and his Mother was getting ready to toss them in the furnace and ended up giving them to a kid who had also come there with some trash. Alot of VERY high grade Marvels..... about 200 in all, each in it's own manilla envelope. I've often wondered about the original owner, who he was, how he was killed ? I hope the day never comes when I have to sell it. It actually set in a forum sales thread for several days at a very good price before I snagged it . GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2387.jpg

Beautiful book, Jim (thumbs u

I don't think I posted a scan of this one since I deslabbed it. It was an old label slabbed by Conrad in 2002 as an 8.0...... nicest "8.0" I've ever seen.

101_2387.jpg

Were you able to tell which defects made it an 8.0? The cover looks flawless.

....it has two very small, less than 1/16th inch tears in the overflash...... only real thing I see..... one spine dimple. Even without a press.....which I personally wouldn't do on a book like this.... I would think it has a shot at 9.0 straight resub. I like it in the mylar, though..... so I can check out the Android ushering Puppet Master into the Thinker's lair.... that Android is :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

P.S. I think they were very tight on 8.0's early on.... this isn't the first one I've seen that looks like a slam dunk 9.0 from this period.

....it has two very small, less than 1/16th inch tears in the overflash...... only real thing I see..... one spine dimple. Even without a press.....which I personally wouldn't do on a book like this.... I would think it has a shot at 9.0 straight resub. I like it in the mylar, though..... so I can check out the Android ushering Puppet Master into the Thinker's lair.... that Android is :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

P.S. I think they were very tight on 8.0's early on.... this isn't the first one I've seen that looks like a slam dunk 9.0 from this period.

There's something you're missing, because 1/16" overflash tears are present on multiple 9.x copies I've seen. The most common defect that's hard to see that CGC would hammer like this for is a light stain. Study the interior front and interior back covers looking for ripples or discoloration. I've got an FF 13 CGC 9.2 that should be a 9.8 except for a light, barely-visible water stain, and I have a Silver Surfer 1 CGC 9.0 that should be a 9.6/9.8 except for an even larger water stain that you can only see from the interior front cover, it's not visible from the outside. Another possibility would be a VERY light, lengthy non-color-breaking crease somewhere, most likely the back cover.

But for them to give it an 8.0 at ANY point in CGC's history, there's GOT to be a defect you've overlooked.

Richard - congrats on the run - it is, well, fantastic.

I love the #4 - just a great copy. #11 is a tremendous looking copy too.

Will you be working up to a specific number, or was #40 the goal?

Thanks for the kind words. #11 is a personal favorite. I loved that issue as a kid.

My goal was originally through #60 and Annual 4. I still need three issues in the 40s (43, 45, 47) and Annual 2. They shouldn't be hard to get. Just waiting for pretty copies. I may eventually take it through 100, but I also may break them up and sell them if something different strikes me.

I'm glad you were able to finish it up! We were talking about this run just a few months ago. . . I'm glad I got to see them here.

I don’t recall if I posted it, but here’s the Italian #1, from 1971.

It does not use the original cover, and came with a poster and a sticker. I have the poster but not the sticker.

1UBrqrHh.jpg

Cool (thumbs u

Geez...page 4? We can do better!

Just agreed to terms on this beauty and can't wait to land it!

Dan

FF12_zps871fb37d.jpg

I don't say this very often, but... (worship)

Stunning trim on this copy, that CCA stamp almost always gets sliced.