• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Richard - congrats on the run - it is, well, fantastic.

I love the #4 - just a great copy. #11 is a tremendous looking copy too.

Will you be working up to a specific number, or was #40 the goal?

Thanks for the kind words. #11 is a personal favorite. I loved that issue as a kid.

My goal was originally through #60 and Annual 4. I still need three issues in the 40s (43, 45, 47) and Annual 2. They shouldn't be hard to get. Just waiting for pretty copies. I may eventually take it through 100, but I also may break them up and sell them if something different strikes me.

Yes Richard...THX for sharing!! Truly sick set you have there! :sick:

I'm filled with pride that I actually have a handful of books that can hold their own to a few of yours... :insane:

Curious...where'd ya pick up the #7 if you don't mind saying...

and how long have you had the 1...2...3...5...12?

btw...your #2 just blinded me...had to wait a few minutes before I could type this... lol

The #4 is just sick and a personal favorite of mine but when you compare the yellow's with the #2 its no contest. :cool:

They are two different yellows (the #4 is a pastel yellow, with a percentage of the full ink), and I also think the scan/picture of the #2 might be very slightly misleading (judging the overall paper color with the help of the label). :)

Good lord man, what a run, thanks for posting scans!!! :applause: Didn't you used to have a 9.6 copy of #2, or am I remembering that wrong? That copy of #4 is just insane...better put that one in a safety deposit box or I might be coming after it! :whistle::ohnoez:

You going to move on to another title now that you're about done with a run? Or does the constant upgrading game hold some appeal for you?

To bring the thread down to earth :D , here’s the rather cheap (but it’s in color) first Greek edition of Fantastic Four #1 (and #2), which has been graciously gifted to me by board member lscomics (Tim).

Οι 4 Φανταστικοί No.1, published by Μαμούθ (Mammoth) in 1986.

KhJn8Dvh.jpg

To bring the thread down to earth :D , here’s the rather cheap (but it’s in color) first Greek edition of Fantastic Four #1 (and #2), which has been graciously gifted to me by board member lscomics (Tim).

KhJn8Dvh.jpg

:cloud9:

btw...your #2 just blinded me...had to wait a few minutes before I could type this... lol

Got the 7 in the last Comic Connect auction. It has some slight Marvel chipping and normally I would have waited for a little better looking copy, but the price seemed right and I was kind of impatient to finish the first part of the run.

The 1 was in a C-Link auction early this year. It went for a great price in comparison to a 9.0 that had sold a month earlier in Comic Connect. It is a little yellower than that copy, but at 65% of the price I was very happy to get it.

I bought the 2 from Brulato at a Philly show two years ago. He was convinced it would upgrade to a 9.6 but had no luck. It is so pretty it didn't matter to me, and frankly if it was a 9.6 I wouldn't have paid the price.

Bought the 3 from a customer in Houston who had purchased it from a C-Link auction about seven years ago. He knew I was getting close and offered it to me at his cost! Very, very nice of him.

The 4 also came from a customer in town. It was a shock to see and be able to purchase that book. Unexpected and out of the blue. He had recently purchased another big book and needed some loot to pay it off. He gave me a very good price and I took it.

Bought the 5 from Bob Storms. I paid a little high for it but it is so nice, square and colorful.

Bought the 12 from Roy. I love that book.

I also think the scan/picture of the #2 might be very slightly misleading (judging the overall paper color with the help of the label). :)

It really isn't. The color on that copy is unlike any other #2 you will see.

You going to move on to another title now that you're about done with a run? Or does the constant upgrading game hold some appeal for you?

I'm not much for upgrading. Maybe if the right book drops in my lap (like the 4, I had a 9.0 previously). And honestly I'm more of a golden age collector. I decided to put this run together simply because it was my favorite title growing up, and in my opinion the best run of comics ever. But like I said earlier, if something old and really cool comes along I might even break this run up. It was fairly easy to assemble. The cost was the big hurdle, it wasn't hard to find the books.

Going for another title after the FF would be kind of like going for sheep after having had Raquel Welch..... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lol

KhJn8Dvh.jpg

That's pretty cool (thumbs u

Got the 7 in the last Comic Connect auction. It has some slight Marvel chipping and normally I would have waited for a little better looking copy, but the price seemed right and I was kind of impatient to finish the first part of the run.

The 1 was in a C-Link auction early this year. It went for a great price in comparison to a 9.0 that had sold a month earlier in Comic Connect. It is a little yellower than that copy, but at 65% of the price I was very happy to get it.

I bought the 2 from Brulato at a Philly show two years ago. He was convinced it would upgrade to a 9.6 but had no luck. It is so pretty it didn't matter to me, and frankly if it was a 9.6 I wouldn't have paid the price.

Bought the 3 from a customer in Houston who had purchased it from a C-Link auction about seven years ago. He knew I was getting close and offered it to me at his cost! Very, very nice of him.

The 4 also came from a customer in town. It was a shock to see and be able to purchase that book. Unexpected and out of the blue. He had recently purchased another big book and needed some loot to pay it off. He gave me a very good price and I took it.

Bought the 5 from Bob Storms. I paid a little high for it but it is so nice, square and colorful.

THX again Richard for posting and sharing the back story for your purchases! It is indeed a very impressive set you've put together! :headbang:

I need 1-6, 9, 10 and 12 to complete my 1-55 run in 9.0 or better. I have my original 2.0 #1 I purchased in 1971 through a fanzine mail order ad for 50-cents. (It had two married wraps but it presents quite nicely...I'll never part with it.) And I have a #2 6.0 which looks like an 8.0...trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it to fund another book... hm

And I have a restored #4 6.5 which looks 8.0...

Hoping to score the 6, 9 and 10 in 2014.

I may have to revise my goals on the remaining to upside-down 9s... :insane:

THX again Richard for posting and sharing the back story for your purchases! It is indeed a very impressive set you've put together! :headbang:

I need 1-6, 9, 10 and 12 to complete my 1-55 run in 9.0 or better. I have my original 2.0 #1 I purchased in 1971 through a fanzine mail order ad for 50-cents. (It had two married wraps but it presents quite nicely...I'll never part with it.) And I have a #2 6.0 which looks like an 8.0...trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it to fund another book... hm

And I have a restored #4 6.5 which looks 8.0...

Hoping to score the 6, 9 and 10 in 2014.

I may have to revise my goals on the remaining to upside-down 9s... :insane:

I've found that with silver age you should always be patient. Wait for the right book at the right price at the right time...and it will happen. I know you are putting together a pretty run from the books you have posted. Just add to them as you can and pick up other cool stuff as you wait.

I don't think I posted a scan of this one since I deslabbed it. It was an old label slabbed by Conrad in 2002 as an 8.0...... nicest "8.0" I've ever seen. The back story always choked me up on this Edenwald copy..... it seems the original owner had recently been killed in 'Nam and his Mother was getting ready to toss them in the furnace and ended up giving them to a kid who had also come there with some trash. Alot of VERY high grade Marvels..... about 200 in all, each in it's own manilla envelope. I've often wondered about the original owner, who he was, how he was killed ? I hope the day never comes when I have to sell it. It actually set in a forum sales thread for several days at a very good price before I snagged it . GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2387.jpg

I also think the scan/picture of the #2 might be very slightly misleading (judging the overall paper color with the help of the label). :)

It really isn't. The color on that copy is unlike any other #2 you will see.

I said "slightly" – it is clear that it’s super-white, and that is pretty uncommon with early Marvels up to issues in the 60s – I am just judging from the label color, the image is slightly overexposed/unbalanced in terms of color, so I was just saying a direct comparision with the #4 is impossible, and chiefly because the #4 has a 60% screen of Yellow or so as the background color, while the #2 has a 100% of it.

I am a graphic designer and I have a tendency to look at these things. :)