• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share my 11 old label copies...and generate a current discussion. I realize there's two basic reasons to resub the old labels...changing out the acid paper (i.e., keeping the preservation side of things up to date) and shooting for an upgrade. At what point is it foolish to hang on to old labels? doh!

And might not having old labels remain in your collection realize enhanced value as more and more old labels are switched out to modern labels? hm

FANTASTICFOUR14CGC90OW_zps5377a887.jpgFANTASTICFOUR19CGC90W_zps2c438a64.jpgFANTASTICFOUR21CGC90OW_zpsdb2dee0e.jpgFANTASTICFOUR23CGC90OW_zps58ba4368.jpgFANTASTICFOUR24CGC90OW_zpsca961885.jpg

FANTASTICFOUR29CGC90OW_zps1f14bbbd.jpgFANTASTICFOUR35CGC90OW_zps271f084a.jpgFANTASTICFOUR43CGC90W_zps06cee094.jpgFANTASTICFOUR46CGC90OW_zps73b92ffb.jpgFANTASTICFOUR66CGC92W_zps08e617e6.jpg

FANTASTICFOUR75CGC94OW_zpsdd288b91.jpg

Edited by trmoore54

btw...I haven't done it in so long, and with the new website format, I couldn't figure out where to go to create thumbnails on photobucket. Would be much appreciated if anyone can point me the way...THX in advance! (thumbs u

That FF14 though, think it was docked a bit for writing. That stance has since changed. CPR that thing!

Good point and good comment...THX...looking to put a submission together this month so looking for more opinions on the topic...

More discussion... please...

I'd suggest looking each book over carefully and deciding whether a few might not be worthy of being regraded. From the portions of the front covers visible in your scans, your copies of #s 23, 24 and 35 look especially nice for the assigned grades. A couple of those page quality designations might also benefit from a fresh grading.

The alternative is to hold onto them as old label books. Old label SA tends to do well in the marketplace, as those looking to do a quick press and flip sometimes help you get premium prices for the assigned grades.

I wouldn't worry about needing to reholder the books, so long as they're being stored in cool, dry surroundings.

I'd suggest looking each book over carefully and deciding whether a few might not be worthy of being regraded. From the portions of the front covers visible in your scans, your copies of #s 23, 24 and 35 look especially nice for the assigned grades. A couple of those page quality designations might also benefit from a fresh grading.

The alternative is to hold onto them as old label books. Old label SA tends to do well in the marketplace, as those looking to do a quick press and flip sometimes help you get premium prices for the assigned grades.

I wouldn't worry about needing to reholder the books, so long as they're being stored in cool, dry surroundings.

Good thoughts as well Bob...appreciate them! I will take a close look at those books you've mentioned...and I agree if you are keeping your books in a dry climatized space there should be virtually nil negative impact on deterioration of the paper... (thumbs u

I have an old label 9.0 #77 I bought from you.

I only have 4 CGC books in my collection, and I'm thinking seriously about having a crack party. If I do, and the 77 looks like it wasn't doing well in the slab, I'll let you know.

Edited by KirbyJack

Love that 75, Tom. It's one of the last ones I really need to upgrade to a VF/NM or better copy (57 and 72 are the other two). It's a classic issue and part of my second favorite FF storyline, 74-77.

I was actually putting some books away tonight and it's pretty cool when you come across books you forgot you still had. Came across FF#36, 66, 67 and a few other titles. Waiting for 66/67 to explode like the Ultron Avengers. :wishluck: