• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

Bob Camp is a cool cat, nice guy, and great artist. You totally need to get something from him. Contact him through Facebook NOW! ;)

Mike Gustovich is also a totally nice guy, and I get the feeling he's soooo incredibly flattered when fans still show interest in his work. That commission is wonderful, and it's so cool of you to get in touch with him.

I first discovered Romero's AXA british newspaper strip back in the 80s when Axa First American Edition Series reprinted it for the american audience and after that Eclipse came out with 2 AXA comics by Romero. Over the l;ast year I have been buying AXA strips from Romero (he has a CAF gallery) and had gotten an iBod and other AXA commission from him.

I had been thinking about getting something very different from him, a strip commission from him. The idea started with the last few panels which was inspired by an early Macintosh ad Apple produced. From there the idea grew to include AXA discovering Apple Campus (where I work), strip takes place in 2080. I took reference pics for Romero and fleshed out the scene, starting with her waking up in a once panel strip and finding the Apple Company Store (1st Apple Store). Adding in the iMac and iPad. Left it up to Romero to come up with the action scene.

This turned out better than I ever expected. This was a dream project and Romero was great to work with. I highly recommend getting a commission from him, he is still at the top of his game.

It usually takes 2 weeks from Spain but this time the artwork took a month. It was worth the wait. I have a scan off all 5 strips together up in my CAF along with larger scans of the individual strips. Enjoy.

AXA_AppleCampus_Commission_p1-5.jpg

Here is a link to larger scans of the individual strips http://cafurl.com?i=19678

Edited by Brian Peck

One more commission I just received:

When Romeo did the Starfire/Nightwing commission he sent me a sketch he had one of Starfire and Nightwing which was inspired by a splash he inked over Eduardo Barreto from the New Teen Titans series. Last year I asked if he would take the sketch idea and do a commission from it. Enjoy.

Starfire_Nightwing_space_comm_romero.jpg

Picked up a commission by Nick Pitarra of "The Manhattan Projects" today.

He created a piece that works for the series, and my theme, and just captures the essence of one of the most interesting sets of comic characters to come along in a long long time.

Many thanks to Felix for making all the introductions and, generally, making this happen.

Larger scan and write up HERE!

PitarraOppenheimerweb_zps122ccdd3.jpg

Only true comic book character commission I got this past weekend at Calgary Con, by Cory Smith of Aspen MLT, based on the original Turner concept:

day3commissions1corysmithaspen_zps1e3bbaee.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice. All that inking?? Done with a brush tip dipped into an ink bottle (for real!) (worship)

My Adam Hughes head sketch of Rogue:

ah-rogue_zps040f1bbd.jpg

If it counts, this is one of my own characters from a novel I've written and am working towards publishing. Her name is Desyrynel, drawn by freelance/UDON artist Eric Vedder, and she's not too happy in this image :D If this doesn't count, I can edit it out.

vedder-desy2_zps8a1d2e74.jpg

Edited by Vagabond142

Cory Smith is awesome! I have a few pieces from him myself, and I definitely think he's going places!

Can you believe that all he asked for was $100? Granted, I did drop about $600 on Aspen stuff over the weekend :whistle::ohnoez: but that's besides the point! That's an EPICALLY detailed original. I kept joking with him that I should ask for a Sejic style Witchblade, at which point he tossed his pencil over his shoulder, threw his hands in the air and got up laughing to go get it. Only thing is, he pinged the president of the company in the head with it xD. The guys have such a great dynamic, Peter is the gruffer old guy, the pres looked like he was on a caffeine high all weekend, Cory and JT were jabbing each other with jokes.... I wish my work was that fun xD

Posted this to another forum, thought I would post it here as well.

Well, I just finished uploading my 2013 Calgary Expo haul to CAF, and figured I would share here as well. This show was definitely more geared toward the entertainment side of things this year, as far as guests were concerned. Calgary and Emerald City are similar in fan attendance (or were last year, at any rate, with Calgary having a higher attendance in 2012), but this year's comic guests were somewhere around 30-40ish for Calgary and 200ish for Emerald City. There were some great guests, including Adi Granov, Doug Wheatley, Adam Hughes, Mark Brooks, David Finch, Joe Benitez, and Simon Bisley...there just wasn't a LOT of guests. I got on Brooks' list at the #5 spot, but mine wasn't chosen. As such, I had to save that money until Sunday in case he got to it. By the time I found out he wouldn't, it was too late to get on some of the other artists lists I was interested in. Finch...I never wanted to get in that lineup, perhaps I should have. This is probably the fewest pieces I've picked up at a large-ish convention in the past 6-8 years. At any rate, I picked up a few pieces that I absolutely love. Picked up a beautiful Hela from Adi Granov, an absolutely awesome Valkyrie, Chooser of the Slain from Doug Wheatley, and a Valkyrie from Joe Benitez (finally knocking him off my list after wanting a piece from him for a good long while). Also picked up Vals from Steven Sadowski and Ryan Benjamin. At any rate, here's a link to my CAF gallery with the pics (not really sure how to post them in here).

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=143481

Edited by Viking001

Can you believe that all he asked for was $100? Granted, I did drop about $600 on Aspen stuff over the weekend :whistle::ohnoez: but that's besides the point! That's an EPICALLY detailed original. I kept joking with him that I should ask for a Sejic style Witchblade, at which point he tossed his pencil over his shoulder, threw his hands in the air and got up laughing to go get it. Only thing is, he pinged the president of the company in the head with it xD. The guys have such a great dynamic, Peter is the gruffer old guy, the pres looked like he was on a caffeine high all weekend, Cory and JT were jabbing each other with jokes.... I wish my work was that fun xD

I've yet to meet Cory in person but he's always been cool when we've e-mailed and tweeted online. I have three commissions from him so far, and one more set up.