• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]The latest:

Still in the works. Matt understands folk's impatience and the expressions of doubt given the length of time involved in bringing such an ambitious project to fruition. He fully intends to complete the Official Pedigree Book and wants it to be the most up-to-date, accurate work possible for the collecting community and public at large.

Information on more recently documented pedigrees is being compiled for addition to the final version. When published this book will be a treasure trove of historical information for collectors and a valuable investment tool.

The idea of patience being a virtue may be an absurd concept in the volatile world of comic collecting, but given the potential rewards, I'm of the opinion that this book will be well worth the wait.

If there's anything else to add, I'm sure Matt will follow-up as time allows. The opinions expressed here are purely my own. [/font]

I just looked at the first post...this is a quote of the first paragraph

"Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day. "

Since they were "racing to the finish" 4 years ago...1/29/2009...Just out of curiosity, because I've forgotten already...when did this start? Did people buy copies in advance? I don't know if that was true or a rumor?

Nevermind, he says right there 2003 doh! I missed that...

Edited by skypinkblu

I got chastised a few years ago when I suggested it might not get finished...so I'm not making any comments like that;)

But if you look at what YOU wrote a while ago, I think I should have taken bets;)

[font:Times New Roman]

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think this book is like a good single-malt scotch! It only gets better with age. [/font] (thumbs u

I just looked at the first post...this is a quote of the first paragraph

"Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day. "

Since they were "racing to the finish" 4 years ago...1/29/2009...Just out of curiosity, because I've forgotten already...when did this start? Did people buy copies in advance? I don't know if that was true or a rumor?

Nevermind, he says right there 2003 doh! I missed that...

After 10 years, a statement as vague as "fully intends to finish" without mentioning a specific date, at least as a target, makes it seem unlikely the book will be finished any time soon. It's his project, so of course he can take as long as he likes to complete it. But the descriptions of it over the years have made it sound like something I would very much like to read.

Good luck to him in the hope that he finds the time to complete the project and follows Voltaire's advice not to allow the best to be the enemy of the good.

I got chastised a few years ago when I suggested it might not get finished...so I'm not making any comments like that;)

But if you look at what YOU wrote a while ago, I think I should have taken bets;)

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think this book is like a good single-malt scotch! It only gets better with age. [/font] (thumbs u

I'm sure it would be wonderful if it's published. The website is interesting, so I don't mind if it never gets finished...it was the advertising that I found annoying. A promise to check in all the time and then nary an update, years passed and it's still racing...but now that Matt is part of the CGC, I guess it doesn't matter. He can probably get more advertising:) lol

I wish I could be "racing to the finish" of my latest writing project.

But bill paying never seems to end.

Hey...more alike than I thought :acclaim:

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think this book is like a good single-malt scotch! It only gets better with age when drunk. [/font] (thumbs u

Fixed that for you Cat!

A rather non-existent single-malt scotch. :P

A rather non-existent single-malt scotch. :P

[font:Times New Roman]Oh, I wouldn't say that... :whistle:

25yrIslayScotch-A.jpg

Sorry, my IPad just doesn't do this justice.[/font]

Hi everyone!

Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day.

So going forward, we decided now would be the perfect time to start an official pedigree thread to provide updates, ask research questions, and create a place for everyone to post thoughts, comments, etc. To start off, we pose these five questions below to anyone reading. Feel free to either respond here, or contact us privately if that is your prerogative. My email is matt@comicpedigrees.com, and Stephen’s is Stephen@wwcomics.com. The more response we get to our questions, the more questions we will post.

Comicpedigrees.com, the official website for the pedigree book has also been updated, which now includes a checklist of where we’re at with each of the 48 collections. This list will be updated as we progress with each story. Our hope is to have the book finished and out during this year’s convention season.

We’ll be checking this thread almost every day, but please give us at least a day or two to post, as we tend to get swamped at work. Stephen is leaving for the NY show on Saturday, and I’ll be at Ponscon all this weekend, followed by my trip to NY next Tuesday. Of course we’ll be set up with our huge inventory from wwcomics.com, and I’ll be doing my on-site proscreens for pressing and restoration for classicsincorporated.com. (shameless plug)

Without further ado, here are the first five questions of the thread:

1. Did anyone buy any key issues from an antique dealer couple named the Thompsons in the '70s? The collection they purchased would go on to be considered the Kansas City pedigree, which happens to be the oldest pedigree among our 48.

2. Can anyone provide scans of Kansas City books?

3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

4. It appears that the Pennsylvania collection original list is lost. Does anyone know of big key issues from this collection?

5. Does anyone have contact info for Bob Gray, broker of the Twilight collection (owner of Twilight Book and Game Emporium, Syracuse, NY)?

Thanks for reading…I hope we see some interesting feedback and discussions here.

Matt Nelson

i personally do not think this book will ever see the light of day. But for argument's sake if it comes out in 2018-2020 will there still be interest?

Hi everyone!

Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day.

So going forward, we decided now would be the perfect time to start an official pedigree thread to provide updates, ask research questions, and create a place for everyone to post thoughts, comments, etc. To start off, we pose these five questions below to anyone reading. Feel free to either respond here, or contact us privately if that is your prerogative. My email is matt@comicpedigrees.com, and Stephen’s is Stephen@wwcomics.com. The more response we get to our questions, the more questions we will post.

Comicpedigrees.com, the official website for the pedigree book has also been updated, which now includes a checklist of where we’re at with each of the 48 collections. This list will be updated as we progress with each story. Our hope is to have the book finished and out during this year’s convention season.

We’ll be checking this thread almost every day, but please give us at least a day or two to post, as we tend to get swamped at work. Stephen is leaving for the NY show on Saturday, and I’ll be at Ponscon all this weekend, followed by my trip to NY next Tuesday. Of course we’ll be set up with our huge inventory from wwcomics.com, and I’ll be doing my on-site proscreens for pressing and restoration for classicsincorporated.com. (shameless plug)

Without further ado, here are the first five questions of the thread:

1. Did anyone buy any key issues from an antique dealer couple named the Thompsons in the '70s? The collection they purchased would go on to be considered the Kansas City pedigree, which happens to be the oldest pedigree among our 48.

2. Can anyone provide scans of Kansas City books?

3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

4. It appears that the Pennsylvania collection original list is lost. Does anyone know of big key issues from this collection?

5. Does anyone have contact info for Bob Gray, broker of the Twilight collection (owner of Twilight Book and Game Emporium, Syracuse, NY)?

Thanks for reading…I hope we see some interesting feedback and discussions here.

Matt Nelson

i personally do not think this book will ever see the light of day. But for argument's sake if it comes out in 2018-2020 will there still be interest?

However long the wait until it's finally published, I can't see myself not buying it. In the meantime, the web site is still pretty cool.

Has anyone asked him about it lately? hm