• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

My advice based on both experience and what I've heard from others.

1) Have Patience. I had to wait about a year for mine after making an arrangement at a convention in-person.

2) Do not make any payment cash in advance, if you're the type who gets antsy that you paid for something and haven't received it. With a lot artists today, you almost have to have the attitude that once you pay in advance consider that money lost and be at peace with getting something substandard to your expectations or nothing at all, otherwise you'll get high blood pressure worrying about your art.

3) Be polite, but communicate often to be top of mind. He's actually a really nice person, just by probable self-admission and by reputation, a bit disorganized.

4) The prices are "you get what you pay for" meaning his structure tends to be "what are you willing to pay?" and he then does commensurate work to what you pay. If you want it larger, or with color, multiple characters, or whatever, this is an artist who you can't negotiate a deal with, you simply have to be a fan and patron of the arts and patronize him with enough $ incentive to get the job done and to your satisfaction, I'd say a starting price for a good piece is no less than $500

5) If you're the type who lacks patience, then even if you're at a convention and see him in person, don't make cash in advance payments. The job may get started, or sometimes not, and often times does not get done.

6) If his terms are insistent for cash in advance, then you'll need to play the odds and assume the risk to garner the reward, but know once you give away the money you lose all negotiation and power and take away any bit of motivation or incentive for hiim (or any artist for that matter) to do the job in a timely manner if at all.

Any advice on obtaining a commission for Bill Sienkewicz online? Does anyone know his prices or feedback?

I tend to not deal with artists that have a reputation for taking your money up front and then either never contact you again or spit our endless excusses for not delivering on the promised date: "I got the flu", "my house was lost in a flood", "I broke my wrist", "my dog died"....etc. I cant tell you how many Ive heard these excuses (even the same ones over a period of months - hey at least get some new material! ).

Seriously, I insist on always paying 1/2 up front and the rest upon completion. Paying half gives you an excuse to b_itch about them being late!

Edited by AtlasFan

Here's my newest commission piece too....Gambit Throwing Cards with Full City Skyline Background Size: 11" x 17" 2009 Signed art by Andrew Mangum.

Wish I was there when he drew it. Maybe someone on here owned this piece once and was the original owner. I would love to let them know it's in a good home.

photo-3.jpg

My advice based on both experience and what I've heard from others.

1) Have Patience. I had to wait about a year for mine after making an arrangement at a convention in-person.

2) Do not make any payment cash in advance, if you're the type who gets antsy that you paid for something and haven't received it. With a lot artists today, you almost have to have the attitude that once you pay in advance consider that money lost and be at peace with getting something substandard to your expectations or nothing at all, otherwise you'll get high blood pressure worrying about your art.

3) Be polite, but communicate often to be top of mind. He's actually a really nice person, just by probable self-admission and by reputation, a bit disorganized.

4) The prices are "you get what you pay for" meaning his structure tends to be "what are you willing to pay?" and he then does commensurate work to what you pay. If you want it larger, or with color, multiple characters, or whatever, this is an artist who you can't negotiate a deal with, you simply have to be a fan and patron of the arts and patronize him with enough $ incentive to get the job done and to your satisfaction, I'd say a starting price for a good piece is no less than $500

5) If you're the type who lacks patience, then even if you're at a convention and see him in person, don't make cash in advance payments. The job may get started, or sometimes not, and often times does not get done.

6) If his terms are insistent for cash in advance, then you'll need to play the odds and assume the risk to garner the reward, but know once you give away the money you lose all negotiation and power and take away any bit of motivation or incentive for hiim (or any artist for that matter) to do the job in a timely manner if at all.

Any advice on obtaining a commission for Bill Sienkewicz online? Does anyone know his prices or feedback?

Thanks Rick. Not being a fan of giving away thousands of dollars maybe I'll just stick to buying work already finished from Bill. really appreciate the heads up here.

Edited by KingKoa