• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

New One Minute Later commission from Brian Bolland - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=965698&GSub=113025

Now there's something you dont see everyday. Bolland does a great Atom. Just curious about the subject matter selection. I would have asked him for a OML for a CAMELOT 3000 or a JUDGE DREDD cover. How did you pick the Atom?

New One Minute Later commission from Brian Bolland - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=965698&GSub=113025

Now there's something you dont see everyday. Bolland does a great Atom. Just curious about the subject matter selection. I would have asked him for a OML for a CAMELOT 3000 or a JUDGE DREDD cover. How did you pick the Atom?

I like the One Minute Later theme to be collaborative between me and the artist in terms of the characters we pick. In this case, Brian said that the very second I explained my theme, this cover came immediately to mind. He really wanted to do it and it was a cover he had liked very much way back in the day. I was thrilled that Brian would take the time from his personal life to do this and I wanted the experience to be something he too would like.

Michael

Incredible Atom OML commission by Brian Bolland !!!

Makes me realize I didn't post anything since several months.

So here are my eight "latest" commissions.

Please use the link for the "full version".

Hope you'll like them.

1 of 8

Hulk, Doc Samson & Dum-Dum Dugan vs Godzilla (by Herb TRIMPE)

0110.jpg

Here is a small tale, not really important, but slightly interesting.

There is a certain artist, who I WILL NOT mention (he would know who posted this), that I made a contact with through Facebook awhile back. We added each other as friends which allowed me to keep track of his work. He will post images of his current project, in various stages, and give us "followers/friends" the chance to purchase the piece. Of course the price increases the closer it gets to full render. With that said, these pieces were not sold before they were began.

A few weeks ago I decided to approach him with an idea for a piece. He asked me to email him the details, which I did. No response. A few follow up messages later, still no response. Finally received a reply stating that he was not able to do anything at this time. It was a two line response to my in depth idea for the piece. I was a potential paying customer, but I guess he would rather create pieces with the hopes that they sell than take on my "sure thing". I guess he did not like my idea. :)

I am sorry for playing this one close to the chest, but this was more of an observation than a condemnation, and I don't want to cause the artist in question any ill will. It is Christmas after all. :angel:

and this has to do with this thread how?

It pertains to a commission that I wanted. We are discussing commissions from artists in this thread correct? Therefore I thought it might be a little interesting that an artist who is creating art for sale wanted nothing to do with creating a piece for me. I thought my idea was a really good one, but by his response I am guessing we did not share the same sentiment. Does this explanation suffice?

It pertains to a commission that I wanted. We are discussing commissions from artists in this thread correct? Therefore I thought it might be a little interesting that an artist who is creating art for sale wanted nothing to do with creating a piece for me. I thought my idea was a really good one, but by his response I am guessing we did not share the same sentiment. Does this explanation suffice?

Maybe he didn't want to do Superman fornicating with Supergirl?

:jokealert:

not really but to each their own.

There is a certain artist, who I WILL NOT mention (he would know who posted this), that I made a contact with through Facebook awhile back. We added each other as friends which allowed me to keep track of his work. He will post images of his current project, in various stages, and give us "followers/friends" the chance to purchase the piece. Of course the price increases the closer it gets to full render. With that said, these pieces were not sold before they were began.

A few weeks ago I decided to approach him with an idea for a piece. He asked me to email him the details, which I did. No response. A few follow up messages later, still no response. Finally received a reply stating that he was not able to do anything at this time. It was a two line response to my in depth idea for the piece. I was a potential paying customer, but I guess he would rather create pieces with the hopes that they sell than take on my "sure thing". I guess he did not like my idea. :)

I am sorry for playing this one close to the chest, but this was more of an observation than a condemnation, and I don't want to cause the artist in question any ill will. It is Christmas after all. :angel:

:facepalm:

Since you're being so cryptic, it's hard to judge this one. I'd bet that the stuff he's selling is simple, and what you commissioned is more complex. Even if it doesn't seem that way to you, it may be to "the artist." Having worked with one or two, I know this is often how they operate. Alternatively, he might not have been as interested in what you wanted as you were. And, he may be doing just fine with his current model, have had a couple bad experiences with commissions in the past, and not wanted to rock his own boat.