• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

I've gotten quite a few in the past month:

Batman by Ron Salas (part of a new massive commission series off all things Batman)

OMAC by Michael Walsh (sort of a commission)

Hogun vs. Mantis by Phil Hester (part of my Asgard/Fourth World set)

Karate Kid vs. Hercules by Reilly Brown (this commission theme will never end)

Batsman by Ryan Cody (still hoping one day Batsman will appear again in an actual comic)

OMAC by Ryan Cody

Surtur vs. Orion by Andrew Ross MacLean (Andrew's got such a cool style)

Batsman by Evan Shaner (Evan actually knew who Batsman was before I commissioned him)

OMAC by Brian Churilla

Batsman by Brian Churilla

Karate Kid vs. The Weapon by Scott Koblish (a character Scott designed himself)

I really enjoy your Asgard vs. fourth world theme. I am a huge fan both and wish I would have thought of it.

The Hogun vs. Mantis piece is incredible. You can tell Hester put alot into it. (thumbs u

I really enjoy your Asgard vs. fourth world theme. I am a huge fan both and wish I would have thought of it.

The Hogun vs. Mantis piece is incredible. You can tell Hester put alot into it. (thumbs u

Yeah though my Karate Kid theme is my main one I like getting a couple of these every year. Got another one coming up fairly soon with Hela and Mister Miracle ("Can Scott Free Escape Death?!?") by Cory Smith .

Yeah though my Karate Kid theme is my main one I like getting a couple of these every year. Got another one coming up fairly soon with Hela and Mister Miracle ("Can Scott Free Escape Death?!?") by Cory Smith .

Nice! Can't wait to see it.

I setup a commission with Rudy Nebres at Big Wow in May and picked it up at SD Con. Asked for a scantily clad woman listening to an iPod. Have something sinister in the background (she is doesn't see to what is going on behind her); a creature whatever Rudy wants draw.

Nebres_iPod.jpg

This week was another heavy week for me:

OMAC by Drew Moss

Batman Beyond by Ron Salas

Batsman by Dean Trippe

Dr. Dinosaur by Scott Wegener - not technically a commission but a trade

Hogun vs. Mantis drawn by Phil Hester and now colored by Simon Gough digitally colored

Silver Age Legion of Superheroes by Joel Carroll

SW6 Legion of Superheroes by Joel Carroll

Batsman by Ron Salas

I do NOT anticipate getting this much art again next week :)

My latest commission is already up in CAF here: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=918904&GSub=122143

But I'd share a little about this piece as excerpted from my CAF description.

My pursuit of art from comics cover-dated October 1977 has come up dry since pages from that era are either locked up, lost forever, too expensive or too difficult to find.

So I settled for the next best thing which is to have a recreation done. Justice League of America 147, was a mighty giant issue featuring the league with the Justice Society and Legion of Super-Heroes in the "Crisis in the 30th Century." The cover was attributed to the late Dillin. Here is the original cover:

JLA-147-Cover-TPB-Scan-800.jpg

I found this incredible splash on just the 5th page of the issue, and I thought it looked even better than the original cover. These Dillin pencils were inked by Frank McLaughlin and here is the page:

JLA-147-Page-5-TPB-Scan-800.jpg

I scanned it and Photoshopped it into an alternate version of the cover. This to my mind would have been a much better cover than the original, but who am I to argue with the great Julie Schwartz who was the editor at that time. Anyway, he is the splash page converted into a cover:

JLA-147-Alternate-Cover-800.jpg

Then I commissioned the original inker Frank McLaughlin, to do a recreation. I have already posted work-in-progress pics in the other thread about Commissions You Are Waiting For.

Frank finished the commission and had a pic taken with the art. Boy, this is huge! And I mean HUGE.

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-07.jpg

He even took time out to give his insights on working in this commission:

" Dillin was the consummate professional...always on time and no matter how he might be feeling at the time, he always managed to maintain a high standard of quality to his work. Working on this piece certainly brought back vivid memories of a time when comics was still emerging from a cottage industry and had that certain look -printed on newsprint using the fake 4 color process -never to be confused with a magazine. Those days may be gone forever but the memories of those days will not."

And here is the original art, scanned. Frank gives credit to Dillin, in blue ink.

JLA-147-Alternate-Cover-Art-800w.jpg

Frank's work, in terms of customer service, affordability, turnaround time, quality, and size exceeded all of my expectations. I would definitely recommend him to anyone out there who has a fondness of art from that era.

Again, here is the link to my CAF if you want to leave a comment: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=918904&GSub=122143

Definitely Mike DeCarlo(I recognize that boat picture and lamp from my own commission :grin: )

Brian' collecting "theme" is various characters using Ipods and the like (I believe he works for the company that makes Ipods). Mostly he has them with an Ipod, but I guess they had to delve deeper in to the product line with so may characters on one page. :acclaim: