• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

I just realized I have not posted this art in this thread.

I remember the Death of Superboy from Legion of Super-Heroes 38 very well. And I remember I wasn't too happy with the cover. I felt the cover did not evoke the pain and sacrifice Superboy had to endure in full view of his friends during his death. The original was by Bill Sienkewicz.

I decided to create a layout inspired by Greg LaRoque's interior art. I pencilled it myself and commissioned the original inker Mike DeCarlo ink it. He was more than happy to ink it.

Here is the post in CAF for those who want to comment:

Legion of Super-Heroes 38 (1987-2012) 25th Anniversary Alternative Cover inked by Mike DeCarlo

This is the second in my new themed commissions which is "Legendary Inkers On Fanboy Pencils" wherein I get inkers to finish my own pencils, making it an art fanboy's dream come true for me.

This first one was an X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga image inked by Joe Rubinstein pencilled by me based on Kevin Maguire's Justice League 1 cover. Here is the first one:

X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga Commission (2011) by Joe Rubinstein

Anyway, for those who don't have the time or patience to go to the CAF page, I will just post the image here, but I did add the logos and art-board style digitally for presentation effect to give it the authentic look:

Legion-38-Alternative-1000.jpg

Thom came to ComicPalooza and my daughter asked for a commission for a 5yr old boy that she has taken care of since he was born.

http://cafurl.com?i=18450

Check it out and check out Love and Capes, too. You can read it on his website, buy the issues, buy the trades, or buy the Comixology e-version.

Comixology: http://www.comixology.com/search?search=love+and+capes

You can read about my visit to ComicPalooza here.

You can read about Thom's visit here.

For those that don't like links, here it is:

Zahler,%20Thom%20-%20Tiny%20Tunes%20as%20Tiny%20Heroes.jpeg

Not new commissions, but new pics of older commissions. I saw both of these gentlemen at the Phoenix Comic Con this past weekend.

First I asked Garth Ennis to flip through my portfolio of PREACHER cover commissions so I could get a picture of him holding one. He opened the book and said, "I don't need to look any further." and the picture was taken. Later, when he did go through the commissions he asked me if he could snap a pic of the Colleen Coover cover, and he pulled out his camera.

Next, Mr. Bob Layton holding two commission he did for me circa 2006. This is an amazing story. When I asked if I cold get a picture of him holding the commission he did for me he said, "Sure." and asked my name. He said he remembers all of the commissions he does for people. He said he remembered my commission distinctly and proceeded to tell me some things I was shocked he remembered. In fact, he remembered that he had actually done two commissions for me. I literally got goose bumps. This is a guy that must hundreds of commissions a year, and certainly has done quite a few since mine 6 years ago and he remembered every detail.

126563.jpg.1f5671bf7f68aeffdbb3538e37f20223.jpg

126564.jpg.236b4a3dd2e03092997ba57d8ce31da2.jpg

I picked this up at WWPhilly too. I didn't originally commission it, but I did buy it directly from the artist so hopefully its ok here. :wishluck:

Artist is Hugh Rookwood. He called it his Marvel Tribute to the Classics.

Edit: Was able to take a better picture of it.

TributetotheClassics.jpg

Here is a scan without the blue lines from the artists website

MarvelTributetotheClassicsscan.jpg

Edited by maloney414

I picked this up at WWPhilly too. I didn't originally commission it, but I did buy it directly from the artist so hopefully its ok here. :wishluck:

Artist is Hugh Rookwood. He called it his Marvel Tribute to the Classics.

MarvelTributetotheClassics.jpg

Very nice.

John

Here is my Scott McDaniel commission that I just got today :) Hope you all like it. I sure do...and yes those are the new 52 uniforms. Thought that was interesting too

126882.jpg.fb87ea400464c0700d49749be1612d6b.jpg

Edited by Murphy_5

I just posted a new commission by Ron Lim featuring some cosmic type goodness (Surfer, Mephisto, Firelord, Gladiator, and the Guardians)

22" x 17"

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=895243&GSub=119881

Nice! I'm a really big fan of Ron Lim--very underrated. Very clean, crisp artwork and I never felt like he dialed it in when it came to his interiors. (I have an unpublished Surfer from him and will soon have a published FF4 page).

Okay, impulsive purchase announcement. I started the email asking for a micro-commission and somehow ended up ordering a full commission instead. maybe because it is Ulises Farinas and he did this for me in the past

ulisescolored.jpg

So now I got an Asgardian Storm coming my way. He actually said he would start on it tonight as he has a few days, so hopefully it will be a quick and wonderful piece. I am an eternal optimist, eh?

Re: I'm an eternal optimist, eh?

Aren't we all? :)

Yeah, prolly. I still expect to get my Teddy Kristiansen commission, even after 10 or so years. Yeah, I think I still expect to get it. Even I can't believe I am so gullible.

Gerry Turnbull colored my Nebres Dr Strange/Dracula piece. In fact he colored it 3 different ways. Here is the cover mock-up he did. Check fedres420.blogspot.com for the others if you'd like to see them

doccover3.jpg

Gerry is on CAF if you want to see more of his work or commission him. thanks Gerry!

Gerry Turnbull colored my Nebres Dr Strange/Dracula piece. In fact he colored it 3 different ways. Here is the cover mock-up he did. Check fedres420.blogspot.com for the others if you'd like to see them

doccover3.jpg

Gerry is on CAF if you want to see more of his work or commission him. thanks Gerry!

That is so cool! Just saw the original in the other thread. Great piece!