• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

I've always considered FF#4 to be the second most important of the title. I'd take a 4 before a 2 or a 5.

I agree with you on this. (thumbs u

It is the 2nd most important book in the title. I think it's in the top 5 of ALL SA Marvel books period. I remember getting into a discussion here on the Boards comparing FF #4 to AV #4, and I picked FF #4 over AV #4. Some Board members didn't like this. lol

There are reasons why it trumps AV #4, namely because without this book, I don't think Captain America would have even been revived. It is way more important to the Marvel Universe than giving credit for IMHO. hm

FF5 trumps it by a mile--Sub-Mariner is a B-list or C-list character, Doom is an A-list villain and even transcended the Marvel universe by serving as a major part of the inspiration for George Lucas's design of Darth Vader.

The debate is on! :insane: I'm on the Doom side of importance... :sumo:

....the one thing I like about the early SA Marvels....they're like a tapestry. Each one is important. Subby's return was handled masterfully.....the shelter scene with the beard burning was straight genius....it would've never happened at any other company. Sub-mariner is one of my favorites.....so your argument is certainly not wasted on me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo( a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree Jimbo. (thumbs u

I love that scene just as much. Incredible. I remember reading that as a kid, and I didn't know who the Sub-Mariner was, or that there was a comic book in the 1940's called the Sub-mariner. That was a door opener for many of us in 1962.

This title just got better & better after this issue. :cloud9:

Yeah, I think Stan and Jack really started to meld with that issue. They seemed to understand that they didn't have to follow any particular formula, in fact, chose not to. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

And in perfect Marvel fashion...4 and 5 followed by Issue 6 with both Subby and Doomy on the cover in a classic team-up. Just re-read my raw copy this past week...great story with the twisted Doom trying to push Namor's psychological buttons...the undercurrent of SM's interest in Sue Storm adds further drama that would be built upon in future issues...

Love 'em both! :headbang:

And in perfect Marvel fashion...4 and 5 followed by Issue 6 with both Subby and Doomy on the cover in a classic team-up. Just re-read my raw copy this past week...great story with the twisted Doom trying to push Namor's psychological buttons...the undercurrent of SM's interest in Sue Storm adds further drama that would be built upon in future issues...

Love 'em both! :headbang:

great points... (thumbs u

I loved them both but #4 is by far my favorite FF issue ever. I even had to search for a copy as for some reason Sid's Luncheonette never got their allotment. Bought my copy at a used bookstore in Newark NJ...for full cover price!!! :mad: and it was probably only a 5.0...

I don't think I ever posted this book in this thread. Was one of 4 copies in 9.4 at the top of the census. (Two 9.6's have emereged in the past 8 years).

First book I ever sold after becoming a board member...

FF11.jpg

Wow, Harry...talk about a tough -- and superb -- book! Was that one of yours originally, or had you bought it more recently?

I'm not sure what it is about Silver Age #11's...I love FF #11, Avengers #11, X-Men #11, ASM #11 (another hard one)...they're all cool covers with either intriguing minor characters (Impy, the Stranger) or a Spider-Man focus.

Dan

Wow, Harry...talk about a tough -- and superb -- book! Was that one of yours originally, or had you bought it more recently?

I'm not sure what it is about Silver Age #11's...I love FF #11, Avengers #11, X-Men #11, ASM #11 (another hard one)...they're all cool covers with either intriguing minor characters (Impy, the Stranger) or a Spider-Man focus.

Dan

Have a thing for the number 11, Dan? :) I remember you having a 9.4 ASM #11. I tried to get one but got the #14 instead.

Dan

Yup. bought that off the shelf at Sid's back in late 1962.

Funny story; after I posted it on the boards after getting the 9.4 grade, a boardie offered me 4X's guide for the book. (Alot of dough and a seemingly excellent offer). An Australian friend advised me to be careful because the book was worth a ton.

I sold it to Marnin for 10X's guide and he resold it sometime later for a handsome profit as well. I still owe my friend dinner and drinks and if we ever actually meet will make good on that....

Dan

Funny story; after I posted it on the boards after getting the 9.4 grade, a boardie offered me 4X's guide for the book. (Alot of dough and a seemingly excellent offer). An Australian friend advised me to be careful because the book was worth a ton.

I sold it to Marnin for 10X's guide and he resold it sometime later for a handsome profit as well. I still owe my friend dinner and drinks and if we ever actually meet will make good on that....

Cool story Harry...love these particular anecdotes attached to books/transactions... :headbang:

Funny story; after I posted it on the boards after getting the 9.4 grade, a boardie offered me 4X's guide for the book. (Alot of dough and a seemingly excellent offer).

Was that me? I think I offered 4 or 5 thousand back in 2004, which was before any at all had sold publicly above the 8.5 grade.

Funny story; after I posted it on the boards after getting the 9.4 grade, a boardie offered me 4X's guide for the book. (Alot of dough and a seemingly excellent offer).

Was that me? I think I offered 4 or 5 thousand back in 2004, which was before any at all had sold publicly above the 8.5 grade.

Yup, it was you and as I said it was an excellent offer. ($4,000). But I knew something was up with this book when CGC called and said I was going to get billed for a higher grading fee than I allocated for this book... :o actually, you've gotta LOVE those calls... :cloud9:

But, I was alerted that the book was unusual and was worth a bunch. Doug Schmell brokered the deal for me...

Yup, it was you and as I said it was an excellent offer. ($4,000). But I knew something was up with this book when CGC called and said I was going to get billed for a higher grading fee than I allocated for this book... :o actually, you've gotta LOVE those calls... :cloud9:

But, I was alerted that the book was unusual and was worth a bunch. Doug Schmell brokered the deal for me...

Which of your books sold for the most? I vaguely recall your AF15 being a 7.0, so I'm guessing that went for the most, but what were the top 5 or 10?

Dan

The thing is, when you had the offer for 10x guide, that was a TON of money for the book. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and I wouldn't know what the book is worth now, even with the two 9.6s out there. Look at Mile High Chuck....Do you think he's had many sleepless nights over the books that have passed through his fingers, especially when the big spikes occured in 2003 and 2008 ?!.....Course, he got a lot for them at the time.....

We all have stories of books we've owned that we sold for some magic beans, only to find out later that the book has exploded in price....Read some of the Modern threads about the Walking Dead 1...Talk about lighting in a bottle !! -