• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

The penultimate "new" book from the past five months (that I'll be paying off until May, mind you), and one of the hardest FF's in high grade. I have always been a huge fan of this issue and I was so happy to win it from the Heritage Auction.

Our friend Impy in #11:

FF11.jpg

All of those FF additions are amazing! Congrats!

FF #11 is one of my favorites of the run and that is one stunning copy.

....sweet 11. My favorite of your recent pickups, Dan, is that 18.....I was the underbidder and you almost had to pay 1200 for it.....but I figured I'd still get outbid and didn't want to jack the price up for someone who I thought might be a boardie. If you ever tire of it please LMK......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo9a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The penultimate "new" book from the past five months (that I'll be paying off until May, mind you), and one of the hardest FF's in high grade. I have always been a huge fan of this issue and I was so happy to win it from the Heritage Auction.

Our friend Impy in #11:

FF11.jpg

All of those FF additions are amazing! Congrats!

FF #11 is one of my favorites of the run and that is one stunning copy.

....sweet 11. My favorite of your recent pickups, Dan, is that 18.....I was the underbidder and you almost had to pay 1200 for it.....but I figured I'd still get outbid and didn't want to jack the price up for someone who I thought might be a boardie. If you ever tire of it please LMK......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo9a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I want the 11...and the 18! :sumo:

Another book from the 51-60 run, this one from Ebay. Actually a very tough book in 9.6...I wouldn't normally have gone after a comic with a cover date stamp, but I was sure I'd have a hard time finding one with this page quality and centering again. Getting it under GPA was also a welcome outcome.

Here's Klaw in issue #56:

FF56.jpg

:cloud9:(worship) (thumbs u Nice!

I'm a little late to this thread, but here are some of my FF slabs. The FF 4 and 46 were just graded. I have a FF #5 CGC 5.0 from ComicLink that will be here tomorrow!!

460e2a0c.jpg

My Old FF 5. The best presenting 1.8 I've ever seen....

file-11.jpg

6fcba18b.jpg

d85f4307.jpg

All Hail Doom! (worship)

08a06e38.jpg

b539ed85.jpg

f09d19be.jpg

b6356ed6.jpg

ImperiusRex --

Those are all great! The eye appeal is generally above the grades, which is the way to go.

To the others here -- Jim, Tom, et al -- thanks for the nice words! (And thanks for not bidding me up on the #18, Jimbo!)

Dan

How can that FF5 be a 1.8? :o

I think the LT/OW PQ was probably holding it down. The triangle that was missing was the other thing. There was hardly any spine wear, and no Marvel Chipping! I sold it at a very fair price too. I'm ready to have a nice, solid mid grade FF 5. The 5.0 I bought is beautiful! :cloud9:

I think the LT/OW PQ was probably holding it down. The triangle that was missing was the other thing. There was hardly any spine wear, and no Marvel Chipping! I sold it at a very fair price too. I'm ready to have a nice, solid mid grade FF 5. The 5.0 I bought is beautiful! :cloud9:

Page quality only knocks a book down to a certain level if it is otherwise high grade--it's not affecting that book at all. CGC gives books much higher scores than that with light tan pages. I forget the highest I've seen, we've posted about it in the forums before--I think it's 8.5 but I forget, it might be as low as 7.0. I do recall the highest grade I've seen on a book with "slightly brittle" pages is 6.5.

That missing lower-right corner is the majority of the reason for the low grade, no doubt about it.

Page quality only knocks a book down to a certain level if it is otherwise high grade--it's not affecting that book at all. CGC gives books much higher scores than that with light tan pages. I forget the highest I've seen, we've posted about it in the forums before--I think it's 8.5 but I forget, it might be as low as 7.0. I do recall the highest grade I've seen on a book with "slightly brittle" pages is 6.5.

That missing lower-right corner is the majority of the reason for the low grade, no doubt about it.

It is certainly true. I think if that 1 square inch were present, it could have graded at least a 4.0

It is certainly true. I think if that 1 square inch were present, it could have graded at least a 4.0

Besides the missing piece, the book appears a bit toasted. In my experience, CGC detracts significantly for books with brown interior cover edges, and given the appearance of the outer cover edges that may have been a factor with this book, too. The darker and more extensive the interior cover tanning, the larger the grade deduction.

The only CGC book I own :) Took me forever to find it at a "decent" price.

100_0126.jpg

ME LIKEY. :whee:

You don't collect Fantastic Four, so I demand that you give that book to me. :taptaptap: I'll love it more than you will. :luhv: