• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

I'm hoping some FF guys can answer this. Why is Fantastic Four 1 so much more expensive than X-men 1? It's not much older and X-men is far more popular.

FF started the Marvel SA. FF intoduced many big characters and had

almost all the new Marvel characters crossed into the title.

FF4 Submariner

FF5 Dr Doom

FF12 Hulk

FF16 Antman

FF 25-26 Avengers

FF27 Dr Strange

FF28 Xmen

Xmen 1 is a great book but the orignal Xmen weren't that popular. If Xmen 1

featured the modern Xmen it would probably be close to AF15 in value.

Good answer torch... (thumbs u

but also the FF was Marvel's flagship title.

Stan & Jack cared much more about the FF than ANY other Marvel title, and it showed both in the writing, and in the artwork.

Also back in the early 60's the FF was way more popular than the X-men, which was only a bi-monthly comic until issue #14.

So in the early days the X-Men was NOT that popular a title. Even the Avengers which 1st issue was at the same time as the X-Men, was also a bi-monthly when first published but became a monthly with issue # 6. So the X-men was way behind, and one of Marvel's poorest selling titles.

In summuary...the FF was KING...the X-Men was barely hanging in there, and the FF was THE book which started the marvel re-birth...so historically it is the MOST IMPORTANT SA Marvel book period, even more historically important than AF #15. Without FF #1 ...none of the others would have existed including X-Men #1.

That's why it goes for more money than X-men #1.

Wow rhat would be a hell of a restoration

If I had that book. I'd get it framed and matted as is and use archival UV protective glass. Nice Purple or Royal Blue mat that book would pop, Instant art

Save the cash spent on resto and put it towards buying a nicer copy.

I have 4 framed and matted early FF issues I had them done about 20 years ago the things still look great. I'll have to get apic

My friend Richard just got this back from joeypost and CGC.....It really looks like a 9.2....but it has a weird dust shadow on the BC that looks like a stain....for which CGC consistently hammers....this is the nicest 8.5 on the planet. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF10-1.jpg

Thanks, Dan....it's a pretty one....not greyed out and the reds really pop. Richard might be selling it....unfortunately it's not the white pager you require. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Joe did a really good job on this one....got rid of the wave but left some puffiness in the spine.

Edited by jimjum12

It's been some time since I bought a comic but I did recently pick this one off of eBay.

FF #46 January 1966 • October 1965 newsstand

CGC 8.0 White -- free from its tomb. :sumo:

FF46FJan66-1.jpg

An iconic Kirby/Sinnott cover. I never owned this one when I was a kid but saw the cover many times in the House Ads -- it's taken quite a while to find its way into my collection. :grin:

ASM32HouseAd.jpg

Howdy FF-ites!

I posted these in CG, but figured it can't hurt to post them here as well. A couple new additions, beauties from 1964 and 1965, respectively. I have to say that I'm getting to be a big fan of the Twin Cities pedigree. For a "newer" pedigree, so to speak, it has superb books.

FF27.jpg

FFA3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Howdy FF-ites!

I posted these in CG, but figured it can't hurt to post them here as well. A couple new additions, beauties from 1964 and 1965, respectively. I have to say that I'm getting to be a big fan of the Twin Cities pedigree. For a "newer" pedigree, so to speak, it has superb books.

FF27.jpg

FFA3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Keep 'em coming Dan! :applause::headbang: