• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Here is my copy of FF #1. As you can see, it's the Golden Record reprint, which I as a kid, added the number 1, and the 10 cent price tag. Some background. My Father read war comics, and had bought comics during the "Golden Age". His favorite character was the Sub-Mariner.

I read some of his Star Spangled War Stories during the early 60's, but one day he brought home FF #4, because of the Subby appearance. I was hooked on Marvel thereafter. Lacking #'s 1-3, and because I lived in a remote area on an island off the coast of CT, I had no comic shops/back issues. In late 1965, I found the Golden Record set in a local Woolworth's, and bought it. Realizing it was different in appearance, I made the "necessary" modifications. ;) I have never felt the need to replace it, with the original. I'll tell the tale(s) of the Lee & Kirby sigs, on another occasion.

Ff1.jpg

Great story

Here is my copy of FF #1. As you can see, it's the Golden Record reprint, which I as a kid, added the number 1, and the 10 cent price tag. Some background. My Father read war comics, and had bought comics during the "Golden Age". His favorite character was the Sub-Mariner.

I read some of his Star Spangled War Stories during the early 60's, but one day he brought home FF #4, because of the Subby appearance. I was hooked on Marvel thereafter. Lacking #'s 1-3, and because I lived in a remote area on an island off the coast of CT, I had no comic shops/back issues. In late 1965, I found the Golden Record set in a local Woolworth's, and bought it. Realizing it was different in appearance, I made the "necessary" modifications. ;) I have never felt the need to replace it, with the original. I'll tell the tale(s) of the Lee & Kirby sigs, on another occasion.

Ff1.jpg

Fantastic, charming and super story. (thumbs u :golfclap:

Ff1.jpg

Beautiful copy, the sigs really complete the circle :applause:

Thought I would add some of my books to the thread FF is my favorite title. Sorry if they came out huge still figuring out how to crop

FF#3 2.5

061-2.jpg[/img]

FF# 5 Soon to be graded should be about 5.0 to 6.0 from Metrpolis as 5.5 great gloss and white pages

069-1.jpg

FF#6 3.0

071.jpg

FF#7 6.5

072.jpg

FF#8 5.5 062-Copy-1.jpg

Edited by VW ClobberinThing

Hard to argue with a nice early FF run with good eye appeal. It's pushing 50 years now, and I'm still not tired of thm. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. If I look inwardly, I find that my core personality is some strange hybrid of Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny.....wow.

I'm hoping some FF guys can answer this. Why is Fantastic Four 1 so much more expensive than X-men 1? It's not much older and X-men is far more popular.

FF started the Marvel SA. FF intoduced many big characters and had

almost all the new Marvel characters crossed into the title.

FF4 Submariner

FF5 Dr Doom

FF12 Hulk

FF16 Antman

FF 25-26 Avengers

FF27 Dr Strange

FF28 Xmen

Xmen 1 is a great book but the orignal Xmen weren't that popular. If Xmen 1

featured the modern Xmen it would probably be close to AF15 in value.

Yeah, what Torchie said, regarding the popularity/intro's of FF v X-Men. As he said too, FF began the re-birth of at Marvel Comics. I'd also mention that FF 25-26 contained the 2nd and 4th Cap appearances.

I collected X-Men while Kirby was artist, but dropped it after his departure. Did that too with The Avengers.

Good morning, all.

A few more

Very nice. FF is the bomb. Are you still looking for a 1,2 and 4?

Yeah I am still working on 1, 2, and 4. The rest of my 1-100 is nearly complete I think I need about 10 issues .Those early issues are going to be tough I'd love to find a #1 in VG to Fine grade that won't break the bank

Kind of kicking myself there was a real nice slabbed #4 3.0 copy on e bay for a decent price. Clean cover with no chipping presented well. I should have jumped on it.

I am working on picking up a nice # 11 from a board member I need a #17 and # 27 and a #35 to finish out the first 50 of the run

Edited by VW ClobberinThing

I'm hoping some FF guys can answer this. Why is Fantastic Four 1 so much more expensive than X-men 1? It's not much older and X-men is far more popular.

I think some of the reasons are. Fantastic Four had a Sci Fi / space exploration slant to it and that was very popular in the early 60s, they were regular people and had regular problems readers could relate to, best Villian in Dr. Doom.

The Xmen was a social commentary ie excepting people for their differences was a main theme, charecters were genetic mutants, lead by a guy in a wheel chair while I like the Xmen they just seemed a little far fetched

Thats my take on it..