• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

Thom Zahler of Love and Capes (LnC) does prints for each show he attends featuring the Crusader and Abby flying around landmarks of the various cities.

Below are some of the sites he's picked - maybe they will inspire you.

BTW, Thom's LnC is wonderful and these all feature those characters and style. He did a recreation for me that I really enjoy - quick, talented, and (for now) inexpensive compared to lots of folks. His style does vary based on the requested subject..

Mid-Ohio-Con

columbus_final.jpg

New York.

nyc_pre.jpg

Detroit

detroit_pre.jpg

Cincinnati (featuring the JLA's Hall of Justice, more or less)

cincinnati_lrz.jpg

Baltimore

toronto.jpg

Atlanta

atlanta.jpg

I haven't purchased a commission in some time, in large part because I can't nail down a good theme. I've always loved the Edgar Rice Burroughs character Dejah Thoris, which is who adorns all of my commissions to date. I really like the pieces I have, but I stopped collecting because they aren't, I don't know, "big" enough. A simple character theme isn't as cool as I'd like, I guess. I just want something more.

I've considered cover recreations, or even Frazetta recreations, but, while I dig 'em, I'm not sure a recreation can ever do the original justice.

So yeah, for now, I'm stuck without a theme. I'm open to suggestions, though. :makepoint:

Here are some of my favorite Dejah Thoris commissions:

Nadir Balan

dejahthorisbalan.jpg

Tom Hodges

dejahthorishodges.jpg

Josh Howard

dejahthorishoward.jpg

Chris Moreno (actually a con sketch; I broke my only rule, which is that the artist needs to be a Burroughs fan and know who Dejah Thoris is)

dejahthorismoreno.jpg

Edited by Reno McCoy

I asked Eduardo BARRETO for a Starjammers commission (I think his style fits perfectly well with the characters).

Some time later, Eduardo provided two prelims featuring Marvel's space pirates.

Both were so good that it was impossible for me to choose one.

So, I didn't choose.

Here's Starjammers # 1 ...

barret10.jpg

... and Starjammers # 2.

barret11.jpg

More on my CAF galley .

I haven't purchased a commission in some time, in large part because I can't nail down a good theme. I've always loved the Edgar Rice Burroughs character Dejah Thoris, which is who adorns all of my commissions to date. I really like the pieces I have, but I stopped collecting because they aren't, I don't know, "big" enough. A simple character theme isn't as cool as I'd like, I guess. I just want something more.

I've considered cover recreations, or even Frazetta recreations, but, while I dig 'em, I'm not sure a recreation can ever do the original justice.

So yeah, for now, I'm stuck without a theme. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Figuring out a theme was really key for me, but I kind of got lucky... The first commission I ever purchased was from Riley Rossmo... I tossed him a few ideas, and he picked up on having the Proof characters in a band. Commission came out fantastic, and he ended up using it on the back cover as a promo-ad. (http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=773218&GSub=32098)

That was the only piece I had for a long time until I finally got it framed and it looked lonely... So I got Jim Lawson to do the same theme with the TMNT, which I love... (http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=773208&GSub=32098)

I now have Joe Staton working on a commission with E-Man and Nova Kaine in a band a la The Kills... can't wait to keep adding to the collection. Having a theme makes it so much easier and more fun.

Problem is that I can't think of where to go next... I had a Daredevil request into Gene Colan :(:( Erik Larsen doesn't do commissions, Sergio is hard to get, Sakai doesn't do commissions... tried contacting Matt Wagner, but no luck so far. *sigh*

So yeah, for now, I'm stuck without a theme. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Figuring out a theme was really key for me, but I kind of got lucky... The first commission I ever purchased was from Riley Rossmo... I tossed him a few ideas, and he picked up on having the Proof characters in a band. Commission came out fantastic, and he ended up using it on the back cover as a promo-ad. (http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=773218&GSub=32098)

That was the only piece I had for a long time until I finally got it framed and it looked lonely... So I got Jim Lawson to do the same theme with the TMNT, which I love... (http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=773208&GSub=32098)

I now have Joe Staton working on a commission with E-Man and Nova Kaine in a band a la The Kills... can't wait to keep adding to the collection. Having a theme makes it so much easier and more fun.

Problem is that I can't think of where to go next... I had a Daredevil request into Gene Colan :(:( Erik Larsen doesn't do commissions, Sergio is hard to get, Sakai doesn't do commissions... tried contacting Matt Wagner, but no luck so far. *sigh*

Totally cool. Are you into music? I only ask because if you were, then that'd make for one heck of a theme, blending two of your favorite things, music and comics.

I collect Damsel in Distress covers when I buy comics. I just have always liked the idea of the hero saving the pretty girl. It's the romantic in me maybe. Or maybe the fact that I couldn't get the girls when I was younger, so I wanted my heroes doing what I couldn't. Maybe I should include something like that in a theme I come up with...