• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

my point...the top copy is the ebay cgc 7.5

the bottome copy is a cgc 6.5 (due to light 6" crease that barely breaks color that you can barely see)

Based upon the scans, the bottom copy. Based upon your description, the top copy.

well, you can't seperate the 2, they are part of the whole...

a 7.5 chipped up copy, or a 6.5 that presents like a 8.0 or better, but has a nearly unviewable crease that technically knocks it down (shrug)

well, you can't seperate the 2, they are part of the whole...

A dark, low-res scan is a far, far cry from a whole.

By the way, we're derailing the shinola out of this thread. :insane:

since I love Fantastic Four (trying to steer back on topic lol ) I can find examples of those too, that show the same thing...

a higher graded chipped copy, versus a lower graded but better presenting non chipped copy...

do you still go with the higher, or do you "buy the book" not the label and choose the nicer looking lower grade (shrug)

So far, the poll is one top one bottom. How 'bout Gator?
I would never take the top copy...I don't do marvel chipping

Everyone has his or her preference, but the bottom copy is an easier sale.

Exactly. There is not "rule" cause everyone is different.

do you still go with the higher, or do you "buy the book" not the label and choose the nicer looking lower grade (shrug)

Neither, until I've done something else first--attempted to place the CGC grade into the context within which the graders themselves weigh the defects. To even start the process, I'd need to see the grade-lowering defects on the lower-graded, higher eye appeal copy; we can't come to a conclusion on the example 6.5 AF15 because we can't see the major defect you described in that scan.

Neither, until I've done something else first--attempted to place the CGC grade into the context within which the graders themselves weigh the defects. To even start the process, I'd need to see the grade-lowering defects on the lower-graded, higher eye appeal copy; we can't come to a conclusion on the example 6.5 AF15 because we can't see the major defect you described in that scan.

but that is just it, it is a barely color breaking crease... you can see it on the scan as clearly as when it is in your hands...does that help (shrug)

the marvel chipping though, you can't miss (in scan or in hand)

Put me down for hating chipping, unless it's quite minor. Anything where there are 1/4" or more chunks missing from the side is a book I don't bid on. That AF15 CGC 8.0 that sold on Heritage for a relatively low price recently had a bunch of small chips missing from the right edge, NO idea how that one got 8.0. :screwy:

I can't really tell how many chips the FF #1 in question has, the scan is quite small and VERY fuzzy, but it does appear there's a 1/4" chip missing to the right of the fire hydrant.

I remember that 8.0, that is why it only went for 58K or so...

I just dislike marvel chipping...really distracts from the book...hence, the only reason I will buy non marvel chipping copies (thumbs u

You can also say that to the AF15 7.5 on ebay right now. (thumbs u

I didn't see a 7.5 on ebay this morn, when I checked...

but, that is one area I totally disagree with cgc on... you can't "allow" chipping when there are many copies that are not chipped... in other words, an 8.0 should display the same characteristics... to me, that 8.0 with chipping is a 4.0 (or whatever)...and should be graded as such...

back in the day, marvel chipping was taken into account in the grade (thumbs u

Here's the listing. Wow, very heavy CHIPPINGS on the side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-MARVEL-AUGUST-1962-CGC-7-5_W0QQitemZ120525359819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0fdf0acb

I'd pass on that 7.5 AF15 quicker than Aunt May can down a quart of Geritol !!

:hi:

Put me down for hating chipping, unless it's quite minor. Anything where there are 1/4" or more chunks missing from the side is a book I don't bid on. That AF15 CGC 8.0 that sold on Heritage for a relatively low price recently had a bunch of small chips missing from the right edge, NO idea how that one got 8.0. :screwy:

I can't really tell how many chips the FF #1 in question has, the scan is quite small and VERY fuzzy, but it does appear there's a 1/4" chip missing to the right of the fire hydrant.

I remember that 8.0, that is why it only went for 58K or so...

I just dislike marvel chipping...really distracts from the book...hence, the only reason I will buy non marvel chipping copies (thumbs u

You can also say that to the AF15 7.5 on ebay right now. (thumbs u

I didn't see a 7.5 on ebay this morn, when I checked...

but, that is one area I totally disagree with cgc on... you can't "allow" chipping when there are many copies that are not chipped... in other words, an 8.0 should display the same characteristics... to me, that 8.0 with chipping is a 4.0 (or whatever)...and should be graded as such...

back in the day, marvel chipping was taken into account in the grade (thumbs u

Here's the listing. Wow, very heavy CHIPPINGS on the side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-MARVEL-AUGUST-1962-CGC-7-5_W0QQitemZ120525359819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0fdf0acb

I'd pass on that 7.5 AF15 quicker than Aunt May can down a quart of Geritol !!

:hi:

I'm with you (thumbs u

If you are referring to the 7.0 in C-Link with WPs, yes it has one chip as you mention. And one tiny corner crease lower RC that barely breaks color.

But I just sold it on C-link this pm.

:gossip:

If you are referring to the 7.0 in C-Link with WPs, yes it has one chip as you mention. And one tiny corner crease lower RC that barely breaks color.

:cry: I really wanted that book ...

That book was incredibly white.

I think remember when that book sold. That was the 6.5 that went for $13K two years ago wasn't it? There was all kinds of talk about that book.

:cry: I really wanted that book ...

I called the OO of the book and asked him to check granny's attic for that minute chip.

So it must be at the 'ole Marvel press in the MC scrap basket...

That book was incredibly white.

I think remember when that book sold. That was the 6.5 that went for $13K two years ago wasn't it? There was all kinds of talk about that book.

Yep.

Books come, books go.

All this for a WP 7.5 AF15....I must be nuts !!!