• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

The market for high grade Duck books is getting downright bizarre. Comiclink just listed a WDCS 43 9.4 that sold for roughly 13x guide in 2007. The owner must sure have loved that book when he bought it.

:o

maybe he ended up with an upgrade or a duplicate? (shrug) how does the current listing price compare to the 2007 price?

I hope so. There are many other books listed that sold for record prices in 2006 and 2007, though. Hopefully this is not a fan who got discouraged after seeing Geppi's wholesale.

:sick:

I tried to win Carl Barks' palate today, but lost :(

carl barks

HAW! Makes you wonder how the poor guy chews his ambrosia in the afterlife!

Great piece of Barks memorabilia. I'm surprised that it didn't sell for more.

(The auction title really did make me wonder what I was going to see.)

Jack

IMG_0003.jpg

Picked up this D Duck #43 1955 not too long ago. Its not a Barks....but its still a really good story and art. The last story art isn't too hot though. It must be tough to be known as......."Not Barks"

IMG_0003.jpg

Picked up this D Duck #43 1955 not too long ago. Its not a Barks....but its still a really good story and art. The last story art isn't too hot though. It must be tough to be known as......."Not Barks"

The covers always make me chuckle. :)

Heres some Scrooges I picked up from Count last month. Thanks brother....I've enjoyed each and every one of them.

#7 The 7 Cities of Cibola

IMG_0013.jpg

#9 The Lemming with the Locket

IMG_0015.jpg

#12 The Golden Fleecing

IMG_0012.jpg

#14 The Crown of Ghengis Kahn

IMG_0010.jpg

#17 A Cold Bargain

IMG_0005.jpg

and.....

#25 The Flying Dutchman

IMG_0007.jpg

Geppi still has the remainder of the higher graded Crescent City run and who knows how many other sets of file copies he may be waiting to unload. It would be really nice if he would clarify this publicly since, right now, a few of us who have been bidding high multiples for these books don't really know what to think. Investing in subprime securities is starting to look like an interesting alternative...
Do you really expect him to let loose with that information? The only reason he has to reveal it would be if he does NOT have multiple high grade copies. Otherwise, one can infer the alternative from any silence. It goes back to tth's point. It's a huge amount of HG Ducks coming to market at one time. I'll be watching to see how they do.

Hi, I've been catching up on this thread and reading comments from some of the more opinionated posters on this issue. I would like to acquire an issue or two (or three) of those amazing High Grade WDCS books that Heritage has coming up. Obviously it will take multiples of guide to win those higher grade examples but like anyone who will be bidding, the dilemma is fearing that other high grade books from Geppis collection (or this mystery collector with the warehouse) will release others into the market IF indeed there are others.

A couple of questions, has there been a list complied (I know that Moondog mentioned that he would post a list, was this ever posted) ? And regardless of the multiples of these books, what is the opinion of those out there whether the ones listed now at Heritage are the highest OR are the highest examples being held until the lower grade ones sell (which makes the most sense for the owner(s) of these high grade books as to max-out, dollar wise …. i.e. sell the 9.2’s first while they are the current highest and then wait a few auctions, grade the better batch next and then sell those 9.4’s which would then be the highest).

Appreciate any thoughts on this …Thanks, Hank

A nice flock of Ducks arrived at my home today, and I am quite pleased with them. Courtesy of Norinn Radd.

Glad you like them, Bill. (thumbs u

I just got a batch of reprints for WDC&S 81 thru 189, which has made for some enjoyable reading.

Which also means it's time for more...

sparkles.gifBARKS AUTOMOTIVE SHOWCASE.sparkles.gif

Those Hollywood types love their custom cars.

74188.jpg

And what could be better than a custom-built Snobmobile?

74189.jpg

Why a Super-Duper Snobmobile Deluxe (chauffeur-driven, of course)!

74190.jpg

The last two cars are from WDC&S 167 "The Salmon Derby".

A runaway speedboat causes Donald to loose his prize-winning salmon to Gladstone. But Donald gets a $10,000 reward for saving the little girl in the speedboat.

fis195505.jpgseraa195505.JPG

Edited by Norinn Radd

me too! it was 65% off off it regular price :o

WOO HOO!

That's a great catch on a tough Four Color.

Jack

You thunder stealer. I am waiting for my copy to arrive in Australia. I was very pleased when a 'buy it now' at a reasonable price and grade turned up on eBay and pulled the trigger. I suspect you did a bit better... and more power to ya!

Geppi still has the remainder of the higher graded Crescent City run and who knows how many other sets of file copies he may be waiting to unload. It would be really nice if he would clarify this publicly since, right now, a few of us who have been bidding high multiples for these books don't really know what to think. Investing in subprime securities is starting to look like an interesting alternative...
Do you really expect him to let loose with that information? The only reason he has to reveal it would be if he does NOT have multiple high grade copies. Otherwise, one can infer the alternative from any silence. It goes back to tth's point. It's a huge amount of HG Ducks coming to market at one time. I'll be watching to see how they do.

Hi, I've been catching up on this thread and reading comments from some of the more opinionated posters on this issue. I would like to acquire an issue or two (or three) of those amazing High Grade WDCS books that Heritage has coming up. Obviously it will take multiples of guide to win those higher grade examples but like anyone who will be bidding, the dilemma is fearing that other high grade books from Geppis collection (or this mystery collector with the warehouse) will release others into the market IF indeed there are others.

A couple of questions, has there been a list complied (I know that Moondog mentioned that he would post a list, was this ever posted) ? And regardless of the multiples of these books, what is the opinion of those out there whether the ones listed now at Heritage are the highest OR are the highest examples being held until the lower grade ones sell (which makes the most sense for the owner(s) of these high grade books as to max-out, dollar wise …. i.e. sell the 9.2’s first while they are the current highest and then wait a few auctions, grade the better batch next and then sell those 9.4’s which would then be the highest).

Appreciate any thoughts on this …Thanks, Hank

I don't think ANYONE, including Geppi, will ever truly have a complete handle on the inventory of file copies that exist. There have been many copies that have been on the market that may never have passed through Geppi's hands, and they have ranged from mid-grade to ultra-high grade.

Some of the different sources that I personally have seen offering high grade file copies:

1. When I visited Metropolis' offices back in 2002, a very nice assortment of raw file copy pre-100 WDCSs were shown to me. To my later regret, I only picked up two--#43 and #85, which I later slabbed and sold as CGC 9.6s.

2. Paul Gambaccini spent much of 2005 selling high grade file copy WDCSs and FCs, which he told me had been acquired from Harley Yee many years ago.

3. A steady stream of high grade file copy WDCSs, which has now become a torrent, has been on Heritage over the past couple of years. Similarly, a bunch of high grade early USs were offfered on Heritage several years ago. Whether some or all of these were from Geppi, I have no idea. After that flood of USs, the offerings have to a degree dried up, so we'll have to see whether more come out or whether that was the bulk of it, and we'll have to see if the same pattern holds true with the WDCSs.