• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day.

So going forward, we decided now would be the perfect time to start an official pedigree thread to provide updates, ask research questions, and create a place for everyone to post thoughts, comments, etc. To start off, we pose these five questions below to anyone reading. Feel free to either respond here, or contact us privately if that is your prerogative. My email is matt@comicpedigrees.com, and Stephen’s is Stephen@wwcomics.com. The more response we get to our questions, the more questions we will post.

Comicpedigrees.com, the official website for the pedigree book has also been updated, which now includes a checklist of where we’re at with each of the 48 collections. This list will be updated as we progress with each story. Our hope is to have the book finished and out during this year’s convention season.

We’ll be checking this thread almost every day, but please give us at least a day or two to post, as we tend to get swamped at work. Stephen is leaving for the NY show on Saturday, and I’ll be at Ponscon all this weekend, followed by my trip to NY next Tuesday. Of course we’ll be set up with our huge inventory from wwcomics.com, and I’ll be doing my on-site proscreens for pressing and restoration for classicsincorporated.com. (shameless plug)

Without further ado, here are the first five questions of the thread:

1. Did anyone buy any key issues from an antique dealer couple named the Thompsons in the '70s? The collection they purchased would go on to be considered the Kansas City pedigree, which happens to be the oldest pedigree among our 48.

2. Can anyone provide scans of Kansas City books?

3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

4. It appears that the Pennsylvania collection original list is lost. Does anyone know of big key issues from this collection?

5. Does anyone have contact info for Bob Gray, broker of the Twilight collection (owner of Twilight Book and Game Emporium, Syracuse, NY)?

Thanks for reading…I hope we see some interesting feedback and discussions here.

Matt Nelson

3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

Ah, the question that has haunted me for years. I can tell you that CGC has never seen one, Steve Fishler has never seen one, and Heritage has never seen one. Bob swears that full runs of the Nedor/Standard/Better titles did exist in the collection, but I've been unable to find any evidence to support that claim. While it's possible that a single individual purchased those runs soon after the collection came to market, it seems unlikely, as the collection was sold piece-meal, a dozen or so books at a time, rather than in large groups or runs.

What haunts me is this: Looking at the titles that do exist in the Reilly collection, it stymies me to think that Tom wouldn't have collected Nedors. They seem right up his alley. The only explanation that I can come up with is that perhaps Nedor/Standard/Better titles were not distributed as widely as DC and Timely.

I hope you guys can learn more. I've done a lot of digging over the years, to no avail. I tend to imagine the Reilly Nedors stored in a large crate, way in the back of the same warehouse they wheel the arc of the covenant into at the end of Raiders!

Ah, the question that has haunted me for years.

Got an email, went to the web site, clicked the CGC THREAD on the left hand side, here i am, and how has every one been?

me, my busted hip joints in need of replacement are accelerating in disintegrating - but all plans are still on for NYC comicon next week, booth 2503

leaving out Monday - they say they will have people there to unload my stuff.

All that aside, my memory is very distinct, there were Nedors in there, like there was DC, Marvel, Fawcett, MLJ, Fiction House, etc -

the kicker is not all the books had the Reilly stamp, many of the books had no Gilboy markings, and there are still plenty of collections accumulated in the 70s & 80s which are not slabbed, nor have they come onto the market

I just noticed the WINDY CITY batch of #1 issues only has 3% of its numbers listed in the CGC directory - so sez this pedigree web site.

Been in a lot of pain last few months, looks like i should get cracking on finishing up compiling the Tom Reilly chapter story - if you still want it

best

robert

What I'd like to see at some point is a GCD type database of scans of pedigree books. It be cool to try and put together full runs of a title as a community effort. I know well probably never see many books but it would be pretty cool none the less.

I can't wait for this book to come out also. Since the first pedigrees I ever bought were Palo Altos, I've been looking forward to reading that section for some time, even though it's not as exciting as some of the others. Glad to see it's closer to coming out.

What I'd like to see at some point is a GCD type database of scans of pedigree books. It be cool to try and put together full runs of a title as a community effort. I know well probably never see many books but it would be pretty cool none the less.

Actually, we're building a database for this right now. We've cobbled together several thousand scans of pedigree books from various sources, and once the book is finished, go live with the archive on comicpedigrees.com. From that point, users will be able to sign in and upload any scans of pedigrees to the database. There are many, many little details to be ironed out, but that is the jist of it.

Eventually the original lists may be up there to serve as a checklist, so there is a goal to shoot for. In essence we'll be re-assembling each collection!

And this is just a part of the plans we have for the website in the future. Once the book is out, the website will pick up from there and move forward with live data for the pedigree collections.