Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#9507263 - 08/13/16 11:22 AM It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL
JiveTurkeyMoFo Offline

ColdTurkeyMoFo

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hurricane Alley

So, after 23 years of the convention circuit (attended my first SDCC in 1993), and after witnessing the changing landscape in Florida conventions since 2002 (the year of my first MegaCon), my business partner and I have decided that Florida is ready for a different kind of show.

Before I get into what EliteCon is, I wanted to point out I am a big fan of the three big Florida shows. MegaCon, Supercon, and TBCC are all fantastic, and have grown so much in the decade and a half that I've lived in the sunshine state. It's awesome to see how the convention scene in Florida has evolved. It has, I believe, also opened up an opportunity for a smaller, one-day show geared more specifically toward advanced collectors who don't always enjoy the larger venues and crowds of the Mega-Shows.

For one, EliteCon isn't a media or guest-driven show. In our first outing, we won't have any guests at all. And even if the opportunity comes down the line for a local artist (like a George Perez) to do a signing, it still won't be our focus either. We're also not a cosplay show, an anime show, or anything of the sort.

What we are, is a Marketplace, where buyers and sellers of high quality items, generally speaking of $50+ retail value and above, can get together and freely buy, sell, and trade with one another. We are also not limited to comics, though comics are a large part of our focus. We'll have high quality toys, retired Lego sets, vintage carded and boxed action figures, AFA-graded toys, rare and Exclusive Pops!, collectible die-cast items, original art, and yes, lots of comics.

We won't have tubs of $3 toys, rows of dollar comic longboxes, and tables of common material that you can find everywhere. You can go to any store and any show to find that. Remember, collectible and scarce items of $50 and above is what you can expect.

Also, while we are working hard on bringing in quality local Florida dealers who can fill a booth with the pre-requisite $50+ items, we are also focusing on recruiting quality dealers from out of state who normally wouldn't do a one day hotel show in Florida, in addition to signing up local collectors who don't normally sell at a show, period. Hopefully, that should give our attendees a shot at acquiring some fresh, new-to-market gems and seeing inventory they normally wouldn't.

We are also trying some experimental concepts, like our Buyer's Survey (sent out to our buyers to better gauge their collecting interests). We'll aggregate the responses and send them along to our vendors a few weeks before the show so they know what our Attendees are looking for. Our attendees will be better served because our vendors will be better able to cater to their interests and price points. Another thing that makes us different is we're giving our attendees half of their admission cost in the form of a voucher that they can spend with any dealer at the show. We'll then reimburse our vendors at show's end with a check for as many vouchers as they collected...in effect, splitting half of the gate with our vendors, who are the real stars of this show.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the fact that we are a Marketplace that will allow it's attendees to bring in up to two short boxes of comics or two file boxes worth of toys to vend at our Trading corner. Yes, we will have tables set up specifically for attendees to bring in their own material if they so chose. Who doesn't have a short box or two of good stuff that's fallen out of their collecting focus or duplicates/triplicates that they just haven't bother to sell or trade off? You can bring it with you and find a way to sell or trade it, either with our vendors, or other attendees. Most enterprising attendees should be able to pay for their admission as well as come out ahead, all by getting rid of some stuff they didn't want anymore anyway. How does that sound?

Anyway, I'll have lots more information soon on how the show is shaping up, but you can find out more about it on our Website website or follow us on Facebook where we tend to announce things first.

We hope to convince you guys in the next six months that this is a convention worth attending, and more importantly, to support going forward. I'm not doing it for money, I'm not doing it because I'm bored (I have two full time jobs and a family that demands all my spare time already), I'm basically doing it because I want to finally attend a convention that caters to finicky collectors like me, and to meet other people who share my high grade manias, obsessions, and pricey interests, all without the cosplayers and crowds of your normal convention.

If you have any questions, about being either a dealer or an attendee, feel free to send me a PM. Thanks and we'll hope to see you there!

#9507494 - 08/13/16 02:15 PM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: JiveTurkeyMoFo]
mysterio Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Flint Hills region, KS
This sounds brilliant, I wish I was close enough to participate. Best of luck!
#9508537 - 08/14/16 07:45 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: mysterio]
THB Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Sounds cool. How close to the airport are you?

#9508548 - 08/14/16 08:00 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: THB]
JiveTurkeyMoFo Offline

ColdTurkeyMoFo

TOTAL NEWBIE

We are a 20 minute or so ride from the airport.

..a hair over 15 minutes from the Hard Rock cafe

and about five minutes from Busch Gardens.

With Florida not having a major show in the winter anymore, we figured if we centrally locate it, and keep it nearby to other major attractions, an attendee from up north can fly in for a fun weekend, play some cards at the Hard Rock or take their kids to Busch Gardens on Saturday, join us on Sunday, and fly out that night.

Since we are a "targeted" show, with a specific demographic of a collector, we don't need more then one good day to pull this off. Gives our attendees plenty of time to do other things.

#9508554 - 08/14/16 08:13 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: JiveTurkeyMoFo]
The_SandMan Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Chico, CA
What?? No cosplay \:o

whatever will the nerds do

#9508642 - 08/14/16 09:58 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: JiveTurkeyMoFo]
mysterio Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: JiveTurkeyMoFo

With Florida not having a major show in the winter anymore, we figured if we centrally locate it, and keep it nearby to other major attractions, an attendee from up north can fly in for a fun weekend, play some cards at the Hard Rock or take their kids to Busch Gardens on Saturday, join us on Sunday, and fly out that night.

Since we are a "targeted" show, with a specific demographic of a collector, we don't need more then one good day to pull this off. Gives our attendees plenty of time to do other things.

With the trends being what they are in the major shows (SDCC, NYCC, Wizard, Fan Expo) I can definitely see shows like this as being the future of the serious comic collectors' marketplace. I'm gearing up to head to WW Chicago to spend the major money of my collecting year, and it intrigues me to think about a concentration of dealers catering to my sort of interests without all the collateral chaff that a Wizard show would bring.

#9508772 - 08/14/16 11:40 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: mysterio]
JiveTurkeyMoFo Offline

ColdTurkeyMoFo

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: mysterio

With the trends being what they are in the major shows (SDCC, NYCC, Wizard, Fan Expo) I can definitely see shows like this as being the future of the serious comic collectors' marketplace. I'm gearing up to head to WW Chicago to spend the major money of my collecting year, and it intrigues me to think about a concentration of dealers catering to my sort of interests without all the collateral chaff that a Wizard show would bring.

I'll be in Chicago too. Love the show. Will be planting the seeds with dealers and fellow collectors for our show as the week progresses. When I explain the concept in its entirety, most people react very favorably.

I had an interaction with a toy dealer friend of mine at TBCC. I've spent good money with him in the past for boxed G1 Transformers stuff. When I asked him if he had any new quality items, he said he did, but didnt bring them to the show because "no one here wants to spend that kind of money". Personally, I believe he was wrong, but I understand as a dealer with hundreds of dollars invested into a booth, he needs to focus and maximize that space to cater to his average toy buyer at the show, not the rare guy who can spend $500-$1,000 on a single piece. There are also, of course, the concerns of security, with a rash of thefts at major shows this year, why even risk bringing expensive pieces that could get damaged or stolen if you aren't even sure you can find a buyer for them.

It is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

#9509097 - 08/14/16 03:25 PM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: JiveTurkeyMoFo]
AllStar-Comics Offline
Just got here

I think you have good timing. Hopefully people will support it! Look forward to checking it out
#9510204 - 08/15/16 01:44 AM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: JiveTurkeyMoFo]
mysterio Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: mysterio

I'll be in Chicago too. Love the show. Will be planting the seeds with dealers and fellow collectors for our show as the week progresses. When I explain the concept in its entirety, most people react very favorably.

I had an interaction with a toy dealer friend of mine at TBCC. I've spent good money with him in the past for boxed G1 Transformers stuff. When I asked him if he had any new quality items, he said he did, but didnt bring them to the show because "no one here wants to spend that kind of money". Personally, I believe he was wrong, but I understand as a dealer with hundreds of dollars invested into a booth, he needs to focus and maximize that space to cater to his average toy buyer at the show, not the rare guy who can spend $500-$1,000 on a single piece. There are also, of course, the concerns of security, with a rash of thefts at major shows this year, why even risk bringing expensive pieces that could get damaged or stolen if you aren't even sure you can find a buyer for them.

It is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'd certainly be open to hearing more about it. I'm definitely far from a BSD as a buyer, but I do bring money to spend on higher end stuff and enjoy saving a chunk of my collecting budget to buy some bigger books in Chicago. If a similar shopping experience could be created outside of the Wizard model I'd be open to hearing more. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you at the show. I'm only there Thur-Fri but will be joining the sushi dinner.

#9510916 - 08/15/16 02:06 PM Re: It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL [Re: mysterio]
1p36DSA Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Sunshine State
we love this concept, will be there for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  plitch, Architecht, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing