Page 501 of 501 « First<497498499500501
Topic Options
#8771580 - 07/28/15 04:57 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
Flex Mentallo Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: G.A.tor
 Originally Posted By: sacentaur
rick, how do you view pre-hero DC's at the moment, and for the future?

How big a factor is the cover artist (Flessel, Sullivan, Guardineer, etc.) for these very tough books?
as we know, the entrance of even 1 or 2 serious collectors for these type books can affect the entire market (positively)...a single exiting collector will typically not affect the market negatively, as there are generally enough seekers to prop up, but if multiple collectors exit, future uncertain ..., at the current moment, the emergence of some new interest, has caused an uptick in demand, and hence prices (I think that was obvious at sdcc this past weeks)

without question much of the appeal has to be the artists (covers as well as their corresponding interior work)... I believe that, along with great scarcity, is a premium determinant of demand

So - and I'm being serious here - prices can surge or stall on a whim? What price Price Guide in this reality?

#8771711 - 07/28/15 05:48 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: Flex Mentallo]
G.A.tor Offline

only a schmuck would want a custom title...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Gator Nation
 Originally Posted By: Flex Mentallo

How big a factor is the cover artist (Flessel, Sullivan, Guardineer, etc.) for these very tough books?
as we know, the entrance of even 1 or 2 serious collectors for these type books can affect the entire market (positively)...a single exiting collector will typically not affect the market negatively, as there are generally enough seekers to prop up, but if multiple collectors exit, future uncertain ..., at the current moment, the emergence of some new interest, has caused an uptick in demand, and hence prices (I think that was obvious at sdcc this past weeks)

without question much of the appeal has to be the artists (covers as well as their corresponding interior work)... I believe that, along with great scarcity, is a premium determinant of demand

So - and I'm being serious here - prices can surge or stall on a whim? What price Price Guide in this reality?
we've seen what even just a single new collector entering a small niche segment, can do to pricing \(thumbs u

Originally posted by Mmehdy:
"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..
It is time for "Daddy" and he is gonna give you a spanking......"

#8771795 - 07/28/15 06:27 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
DavidMerryweather Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: The nearest pub

we've seen what even just a single new collector entering a small niche segment, can do to pricing \(thumbs u

True enough, but how dependable is the Barnum factor? hm

Wanted (8.5+): Captain America #1, 3, 4, 11-20, Mystic #6, 8-10, Hit #4-17 (most), Marvel Mystery #28, Silver Streak #8 & many MOAR!

#8772009 - 07/28/15 07:42 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: Flex Mentallo]
sacentaur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I am Providence

\:o Woah Steve!

I just caught up to Fleisel Who's this Sullivan guy?

[Of course Fred is so passť]

Vin Sullivan, he did a lot of the early DC funny covers - he doesn't really hold a candle to Flessel or Guardineer, but I'm finding his output mildly charming.

The human race will eventually die of civilization. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Am I a sociopath? Everyone was greedy. - Bernie Madoff

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges - Cicero

#8772023 - 07/28/15 07:46 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
sacentaur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Thanks rick - the pre-hero market is definitely niche, but the guys who go all-out (I consider myself just a dabbler) really bring the passion to the table.

The raw, early history of the books is probably the greatest draw for me (along with some of the classics covers too, of course).

#8772032 - 07/28/15 07:49 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: sacentaur]
ciorac Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Vin Sullivan, he did a lot of the early DC funny covers - he doesn't really hold a candle to Flessel or Guardineer, but I'm finding his output mildly charming.

I love his cover art on Detective Comics #1

#8772060 - 07/28/15 07:59 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: sacentaur]
G.A.tor Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Thanks rick - the pre-hero market is definitely niche, but the guys who go all-out (I consider myself just a dabbler) really bring the passion to the table.

The raw, early history of the books is probably the greatest draw for me (along with some of the classics covers too, of course).
that's my biggest draw to centaurs...the history, the evolution of the artists, etc... I like the DC's too...

"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..

#8772061 - 07/28/15 07:59 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: ciorac]
G.A.tor Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: ciorac

I love his cover art on Detective Comics #1
a classic for sure

#8772206 - 07/28/15 08:48 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
sacentaur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

... that's my biggest draw to centaurs...the history, the evolution of the artists, etc... I like the DC's too...

Centaurs also have the advantage of being pre-Timelys ...Everett, Burgos, Gustavson, Mills, Thompson, Simon, etc.

Love 'em.

Page 501 of 501 « First<497498499500501

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

The Money Marketplace
Archives Int'l Auction...
by Libertyloanbond
Today at 02:42 PM
FSH ~ 1922 Grant with Star Commemorative half PCGS F12 & 1967 SMS Kennedy
by saen78
Yesterday at 10:10 PM
TRADE PLEASE!
by ArmyBud
Yesterday at 02:25 PM
FSH - 90% Silver Dimes - 4 ROLLS (3xMerc / 1xRoos)
by gpnyc
07/28/15 12:20 PM
Comics Marketplace
Renew Your Vows #1 JSC Store color variant - $50.00 shipped each (Four left)
by Taco
18 minutes 51 seconds ago
Fiction House in da House!!!
by Nick's Comics
Today at 07:53 PM
CGC Slabs on Clearance TWD 48 plus MOAR!
by Mushie
Today at 06:54 PM
Stephen King Variant Lot 31 books $30 shipped
by Shrevvy
Today at 06:40 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.117 seconds in which 0.104 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing