Page 433 of 433 « First<429430431432433
Topic Options
#8011416 - 09/05/14 08:21 AM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
bronzejonny Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Originally Posted By: G.A.tor
 Originally Posted By: bronzejonny
Hi Rick,

What do you think is/are the most underrated pedigree(s) in terms of:

- overall quality?

and/or

- selection of books?

Thanks for your insight and hope all is well!

John

Vancouvers. Folks don't pay enough attention to this ped. Every copy I've ever owned has been a white paged 9.6/9.8

Lost valleys had a great variety and selection of titles, esp 1930s issues. Don't hear folks talk about that ped as much.

What about Palo Altos?

Very nice 1950s ped.

One more Rick- as for quality, are the Central Valleys underrated? Thx again \(thumbs u

Not underrated at all. In fact they are applauded for their high level of preservation. There are just so few "key" type books that the ped is not more applauded. But they sold for huge premiums so definitely not underrated imo

\(thumbs u

#8013937 - 09/06/14 10:49 AM Re: Ask Gator [Re: bronzejonny]
roulette44 Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Atlanta GA
Rick, what's your famous "per point" price on supes1 these days?

Joey
2) Marvels (CGC 7.0 only): FF 11, Iron Fist 14, WBN 32, ASM 5,10,13, TOS 43,

#8015057 - 09/06/14 10:38 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: roulette44]
G.A.tor Offline

only a schmuck would want a custom title...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Gator Nation
The average copy is about 40k a point imo

Originally posted by Mmehdy:
"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..
It is time for "Daddy" and he is gonna give you a spanking......"

#8015480 - 09/07/14 03:16 AM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
DougC Offline
Talkative?

Here is a left field Golden Age question how did job numbers work? In the late 40's Timely books instead of having artist/writer information seem to be all done by a small hand full of people with SL or D. The actual number will vary wildly from story to story (some by over 100+). I would obviously assume SL = Stan Lee but in what capacity? Does it designate writer or editor (or both) is their even a list of codes used aggregated somewhere (google was not helpful).

#8022403 - 09/10/14 07:21 AM Re: Ask Gator [Re: bronzejonny]
jimbo_707 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Hi Rick,

What do you think is/are the most underrated pedigree(s) in terms of:

- overall quality?

and/or

- selection of books?

Thanks for your insight and hope all is well!

John

Vancouvers. Folks don't pay enough attention to this ped. Every copy I've ever owned has been a white paged 9.6/9.8

Lost valleys had a great variety and selection of titles, esp 1930s issues. Don't hear folks talk about that ped as much.

What about Palo Altos?

Very nice 1950s ped.

One more Rick- as for quality, are the Central Valleys underrated? Thx again \(thumbs u

Not underrated at all. In fact they are applauded for their high level of preservation. There are just so few "key" type books that the ped is not more applauded. But they sold for huge premiums so definitely not underrated imo

\(thumbs u

Gator, did many of the Lost Valleys have rusty staples? It seems like I've seen what looked like rust stains on some of them, which must have come from other books in the stacks, when they were up for sale.

#8022980 - 09/10/14 12:37 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: jimbo_707]
G.A.tor Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

I've owned about a dozen lost valleys including Tec 3 and none had rusty staples \(shrug\)

"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..

#8023953 - 09/10/14 09:10 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: G.A.tor]
ciorac Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I've owned about a dozen lost valleys including Tec 3 and none had rusty staples \(shrug\)

I have about dozen Lost Valleys now, and none of them have rusty staples

#8024006 - 09/10/14 09:29 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: DougC]
RCheli Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Chicago, IL
 Originally Posted By: DougC
Here is a left field Golden Age question how did job numbers work? In the late 40's Timely books instead of having artist/writer information seem to be all done by a small hand full of people with SL or D. The actual number will vary wildly from story to story (some by over 100+). I would obviously assume SL = Stan Lee but in what capacity? Does it designate writer or editor (or both) is their even a list of codes used aggregated somewhere (google was not helpful).

I am not GATor, but...

Job numbers were just an accounting thing. Jobs were assigned by an editor to the writer, the penciller, the letterer, and the inker, and they just needed a way to track them through the various steps -- both for accounting purposes and for job flow.

Some job numbers in fact had the editor's initials -- see SL for Stan Lee or even AG for Archie Goodwin in the later black-and-white magazines -- but don't always assume that Stan or Archie or whomever actually did anything with it other than maybe assign the story.

The job numbers are slightly interesting where you can see stories that may have been finished a couple of years earlier but never printed at the time (for whatever reason). So in an issue of Marvel Tales, you may have C-341, C-361, and C-081.

The job numbers are often listed in various indexing sites (www.comics.org, for example), but they're by no means complete.

#8024133 - 09/10/14 10:17 PM Re: Ask Gator [Re: RCheli]
G.A.tor Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: RCheli
 Originally Posted By: DougC

I am not GATor, but...

Job numbers were just an accounting thing. Jobs were assigned by an editor to the writer, the penciller, the letterer, and the inker, and they just needed a way to track them through the various steps -- both for accounting purposes and for job flow.

Some job numbers in fact had the editor's initials -- see SL for Stan Lee or even AG for Archie Goodwin in the later black-and-white magazines -- but don't always assume that Stan or Archie or whomever actually did anything with it other than maybe assign the story.

The job numbers are slightly interesting where you can see stories that may have been finished a couple of years earlier but never printed at the time (for whatever reason). So in an issue of Marvel Tales, you may have C-341, C-361, and C-081.

The job numbers are often listed in various indexing sites (www.comics.org, for example), but they're by no means complete.

Sorry I missed question.

Page 433 of 433 « First<429430431432433

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
***Fall Coin Auction - Link in post to catalog!
by Midwest Coins
Yesterday at 12:05 PM
WTB 1932-S Washington MS63
by Jon K.
Yesterday at 01:05 AM
Gold Kennedy proofs, 3 left, raw, unopened, unseen in box.
by AHFreak
09/16/14 01:21 PM
eBay: 1976 IKE Type 1 MS 65 plus some others NGCs
by Aslpride8
09/16/14 03:06 AM
Comics Marketplace
X-Factor 6 9.6 SS 1st Big Blue Guy SOLD!!
by bighaley21
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
2014 Amazing Spider-Man 1 1:200 CGC SS 9.8(Stan Lee/Dan Slott)
by CBass
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
FF45, FF52, WD1, IM55, DC Presents 26 etc
by Junkdrawer
Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Hump Day Ebay Auctions-10% Off Sale on Everything
by blazincomics
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.095 seconds in which 0.085 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing