Page 3127 of 3127 « First<31233124312531263127
Topic Options
#8680432 - 06/17/15 08:54 PM Re: PROBATION DISCUSSIONS [Re: mschmidt]
thirdgreenham Offline
Eleventy millionth person to declare their first year on the boards as the golden age, and the current era to be worthless.
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: mschmidt
 Originally Posted By: Doktor
No, it's a logical interpretation to YOU & completely subjective. I personally do not see a lack of return policy as a definitive statement of "as-is, no returns". I see it as a "returns aren't defined so maybe I should ask about returns before I buy so that I can know what I'm getting into here?" . Because it's undefined & therefore unknown.

And yet another person may see it as "well, they said normal board rules apply at the top & didn't cover returns & most other people seem to have an X-day window for returns, so that's normal board rules".

And yet another might see it as "I can gamble because they didn't say they WON'T take it back if it doesn't look as good in-hand as it does on the smudged screen of my tiny phone or if it sinks like a brick in value 2 weeks from now".

None of them are objectively wrong because there's no evidence at the moment to prove any of them wrong. Or right. And that makes it a pretty subjective issue. Whereas a defined policy makes for an objective statement where there is only 1 logical interpretation.

And in the case you posed, while you might be SOL on making the return, the also don't has no protection of being able to point to a "look, it was stated right here where I said you can't return anything & you didn't read it " from the PR standpoint. And that's what the PL is really... a PR thread of who to and not to do business with because they're shady or have been shady in certain situations. I'd consider a retailer that wasn't even willing to state "you can't return your purchase" to me before I made the purchase as pretty shady. It might cost me a couple bucks to find it out, but I'd let others know "oh that place won't even admit until after you've made your purchase that you can't return it" and try to let others know not do deal with them either because I don't want them to have to lose money to learn the same lesson on that particular retailer. And isn't that the purpose of the PL here, right? To tell others so they don't get screwed over as well?

When purchasing online you, as the buyer, make certain logical assumptions in regards to your purchase. You assume that the seller is going to ship you your item even barring a specific notice from the seller saying "yes, I will ship the item to you". You assume that what you're going to receive is what you purchased even though the seller doesn't have a huge banner saying "you will receive the item you purchased". You do not expect a seller to have a 30-day money back period unless it's explicitly written out that they do.

Can you honestly tell me that if you don't see a specific returns policy on a website you automatically assume the seller will take the item back, no questions asked, 5 years from now when you finally get around to opening the box?

No, what you assume is that a) the seller doesn't accept returns or b) you should investigate further to see what the seller's return policy is before buying anything. You, as the buyer, take responsibility for your purchase which is the crux of the point that I'm trying to make.

If I see a sales thread from a brand-new seller with postage-sized, blurred photos of books, no references and no mention of a return policy, that is a huge warning sign to me. If I'm absolutely dying to buy from this seller, it's in my own best interest to investigate further before committing to a purchase. If I can't be bothered to do so, well, that's kinda my own fault.

I don't see anything inherently shady in having a "no returns policy" - there are plenty of sellers here who explicitly state they won't take returns on CGC'ed books, for instance. It's just another piece of information that allows me to decide whether to purchase from a specific seller.

I'm pretty sure Rupp didn't buy any pointed cruxes. I believe it was a comic book.

forestcitycoins is my eBay store, click if you like. \(thumbs u

Forum only selling notice

GENERAL PUBLIC SERVICE NOTICE ON POSTING GUIDELINES

Note that the members of this board are encouraged to POLITELY point out posts that violate the marketplace posting guidelines, and to notify the moderators.

Thread starters: If you disagree that the guidelines have been violated and have reasons, then take it to the discussion thread and hash it out there. But please take the time to read the guidelines.

A probation list for bad transactions is maintained by the community. You are still responsible for your own transactions.

#8680433 - 06/17/15 08:55 PM Re: PROBATION DISCUSSIONS [Re: comix4fun]
thirdgreenham Offline
Eleventy millionth person to declare their first year on the boards as the golden age, and the current era to be worthless.
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: comix4fun
 Originally Posted By: Transplant
We're going to rule this place to death.

This post gets 4 stars.

forestcitycoins is my eBay store, click if you like. \(thumbs u

#8680640 - 06/17/15 10:23 PM Re: PROBATION DISCUSSIONS [Re: thirdgreenham]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Eastbound and Down
 Originally Posted By: thirdgreenham

This post gets 4 stars.

Your seal of approval is the only one that matters to me.

You heard that right Greggy!

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#8680820 - 06/18/15 12:05 AM Re: PROBATION DISCUSSIONS [Re: comix4fun]
Red84 Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Chicago

This post gets 4 stars.

Your seal of approval is the only one that matters to me.

You heard that right Greggy!

"We apologise again for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible for sacking
the people who have just been sacked,
have been sacked."

My eBay http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/sch/igotcomics/m.html?item=151631501043&hash=item234df116f3&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
My Kudos http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7303478
Interested in buying low to mid grade (restored is fine):
Special Edition Comics 1 -------Captain America Comics 16 -----
Action 17,19,22 ------ Tec 39,40 ------ Batman 2,3,5,9,27------ Superman 2,4,5,24

#8680892 - 06/18/15 12:58 AM Re: PROBATION DISCUSSIONS [Re: thirdgreenham]
mschmidt Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Illinoise
 Originally Posted By: mschmidt
 Originally Posted By: Doktor
No, it's a logical interpretation to YOU & completely subjective. I personally do not see a lack of return policy as a definitive statement of "as-is, no returns". I see it as a "returns aren't defined so maybe I should ask about returns before I buy so that I can know what I'm getting into here?" . Because it's undefined & therefore unknown.

And yet another person may see it as "well, they said normal board rules apply at the top & didn't cover returns & most other people seem to have an X-day window for returns, so that's normal board rules".

And yet another might see it as "I can gamble because they didn't say they WON'T take it back if it doesn't look as good in-hand as it does on the smudged screen of my tiny phone or if it sinks like a brick in value 2 weeks from now".

None of them are objectively wrong because there's no evidence at the moment to prove any of them wrong. Or right. And that makes it a pretty subjective issue. Whereas a defined policy makes for an objective statement where there is only 1 logical interpretation.

And in the case you posed, while you might be SOL on making the return, the also don't has no protection of being able to point to a "look, it was stated right here where I said you can't return anything & you didn't read it " from the PR standpoint. And that's what the PL is really... a PR thread of who to and not to do business with because they're shady or have been shady in certain situations. I'd consider a retailer that wasn't even willing to state "you can't return your purchase" to me before I made the purchase as pretty shady. It might cost me a couple bucks to find it out, but I'd let others know "oh that place won't even admit until after you've made your purchase that you can't return it" and try to let others know not do deal with them either because I don't want them to have to lose money to learn the same lesson on that particular retailer. And isn't that the purpose of the PL here, right? To tell others so they don't get screwed over as well?

When purchasing online you, as the buyer, make certain logical assumptions in regards to your purchase. You assume that the seller is going to ship you your item even barring a specific notice from the seller saying "yes, I will ship the item to you". You assume that what you're going to receive is what you purchased even though the seller doesn't have a huge banner saying "you will receive the item you purchased". You do not expect a seller to have a 30-day money back period unless it's explicitly written out that they do.

Can you honestly tell me that if you don't see a specific returns policy on a website you automatically assume the seller will take the item back, no questions asked, 5 years from now when you finally get around to opening the box?

No, what you assume is that a) the seller doesn't accept returns or b) you should investigate further to see what the seller's return policy is before buying anything. You, as the buyer, take responsibility for your purchase which is the crux of the point that I'm trying to make.

If I see a sales thread from a brand-new seller with postage-sized, blurred photos of books, no references and no mention of a return policy, that is a huge warning sign to me. If I'm absolutely dying to buy from this seller, it's in my own best interest to investigate further before committing to a purchase. If I can't be bothered to do so, well, that's kinda my own fault.

I don't see anything inherently shady in having a "no returns policy" - there are plenty of sellers here who explicitly state they won't take returns on CGC'ed books, for instance. It's just another piece of information that allows me to decide whether to purchase from a specific seller.

I'm pretty sure Rupp didn't buy any pointed cruxes. I believe it was a comic book.

I rest my case, then
Cerebus #1 in VF/NM or better

Page 3127 of 3127 « First<31233124312531263127

Moderator:  cgcmod6, Architecht, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2, Bree, CCGmod3 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH: Early Lincoln Cents and Early Commemoratives
by leeg
10:51 PM
ebay: GOLD RUSH! St. Gaudens, Indian Head, Buffalos, and more!
by cp_coins
11:15 AM
GreatCollections - Auctions Today - Better Morgan Dollars, $200k+ Unreserved...
by ianrussell
06/28/15 05:08 PM
Making the Grade #20: “Swimmin' Pools and Movie Stars” 6/27/15
by michael
06/27/15 09:11 PM
Comics Marketplace
Selling my CGC collection - J Scott Campbell SS 9.8's Danger Girl, Gen 13, etc
by Neurosis138
12:37 AM
Big Mixed Sale! CGC's, Raws, Exclusives. Funkos, Signed Posters & More!
by Comic Book Guy
11:02 PM
6x fanboy XL t-shirts - Comics and Video Games - Valiant, Zelda, Flash, Mario, etc.
by AGGIEZ
10:55 PM
Amazing Spiderman #10 CGC 6.0 - 1st Big Man & the Enforcers
by Sensei Ryan
10:50 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.772 seconds in which 0.754 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles