Page 2710 of 2710 « First<27062707270827092710
Topic Options
#9151001 - Yesterday at 03:59 PM Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION - keep the other threads clean [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
vaillant Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Italy
 Originally Posted By: RockMyAmadeus
Louise and I spent much of SDCC 2011 chatting about stuff while you ran around the floor buying books. I don't think she had a problem with me being chatty. If she did, I certainly never heard about it.

;\)

When less is more, and conciseness isn't a problem, I'm pretty sure I handle that well, and I'm pretty sure my posting record is ample proof of that. But people focus on the "verbose" posts, and ignore the "concise" posts. Not a complaint, just pointing out the inconsistency of human nature.

However, less can be (and often is) less.

I say what I feel must be said, both to make the point AND to forestall possible objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions. Why is legalese so long? Because people WILL find a way to misconstrue/misunderstand/misrepresent, and there needs to be language to cover as many angles as possible.

One thing is speaking in person, one thing is writing on the internet. I would not assume that "people over 35" know how to discern: age has little to do with it, and besides you’ll find 80 year olds that are worse than some 15 year olds. \(shrug\)

I was not implying at all that you should change the way you communicate: but it’s not true at all that "less is less".
You will never "forestall" objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions just by "forethinking": if one is not much willing to reason and takes you "the wrong way" – that’s why I said that how your writing style "comes across" could be problematic, but it might just be me…

I know for sure that right now, in many cases, I feel put off by the length of posts, especially if the topic is not so delicate to spend so much time on it.

Forum only selling notice

GENERAL PUBLIC SERVICE NOTICE ON POSTING GUIDELINES

Note that the members of this board are encouraged to POLITELY point out posts that violate the marketplace posting guidelines, and to notify the moderators.

Thread starters: If you disagree that the guidelines have been violated and have reasons, then take it to the discussion thread and hash it out there. But please take the time to read the guidelines.

A probation list for bad transactions is maintained by the community. You are still responsible for your own transactions.

#9151369 - Yesterday at 07:53 PM Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION - keep the other threads clean [Re: vaillant]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Silence of the Lambs
 Originally Posted By: vaillant

One thing is speaking in person, one thing is writing on the internet.

That was an anecdote, to ROY, about a situation involving us personally. It's not relevant to the discussion you and I are having.

Quote:
I would not assume that "people over 35" know how to discern: age has little to do with it, and besides you’ll find 80 year olds that are worse than some 15 year olds. \(shrug\)

I didn't say anything even remotely like that. You've completely misred what I said. My comment had not a single thing to do with discernment of any kind relative to one's age. You've completely misred what I said. Read it again.

You totally misred/misinterpreted that particular comment, and you really wonder why people feel the need to "over"explain themselves..? Really...?

\(shrug\)

Quote:
I was not implying at all that you should change the way you communicate:

No, you didn't imply it, true. You pretty well stated it.

Quote:
but it’s not true at all that "less is less".

It's true on a fairly regular basis. Less is FREQUENTLY less, especially when one does not clearly communicate what they are trying to say. I'm not even sure how you can make this statement.

Quote:
You will never "forestall" objections/misunderstandings/misperceptions just by "forethinking": if one is not much willing to reason and takes you "the wrong way" – that’s why I said that how your writing style "comes across" could be problematic, but it might just be me…

Again, that's simply not true, and I'm not the least concerned with the one who is not willing to reason. That is not, and never has been, my concern. My concern is for the other people reading the discussion, and making sure that what I have to say is understandable. It's my job to communicate clearly and effectively. It's not my job to make people understand who don't want to understand.

Quote:
I know for sure that right now, in many cases, I feel put off by the length of posts, especially if the topic is not so delicate to spend so much time on it.

Again...that isn't my problem or responsibility, nor am I going to alter anything because of it. This is a tempest in a teapot. We're talking about posts that average, maybe, the length of a short internet article, and you think that's too taxing for people to have to read...? I say they ought to not be so lazy.

If I see a post that I think is too long, and not worth reading, you know what I do? I don't read it. I don't "feel put off" about it, and I certainly don't make an issue about it. I just move on to something that interests me.

That's what everyone, including you, should do. The concern...(?)...is appreciated, but really, truly, not necessary.

"You bring zero value here, zero." - rfoiii

"Han shot first." - Dungeon 2.0

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

Page 2710 of 2710 « First<27062707270827092710

Moderator:  Architecht, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
90% SILVER ROLLS
by gpnyc
09:04 PM
Today at GreatCollections - 1889-CC $1 NGC MS-61, 1909-S VDB 1c PCGS MS-66+ RD
by ianrussell
11:40 AM
Sh’ma Coin
by gabeperez2112
02/05/16 04:50 PM
eBay: 1-Cent NR, Classic US Type coins Gold, NGC PCGS & CAC Items
by Ryan S.
02/03/16 07:43 PM
Comics Marketplace
...GI Combat Haunted Tank raw lots on eBay (silver, bronze)
by picon3
Pedigree Comics' Amazing Ultra High Grade Silver Age Marvel Auction is Underway!
by Captain_Tripps
HARRISON FORD CGC SS 9.8 Star Wars Tales #11 Han Solo Variant - No Reserve!
by Billy the Kidd
10:39 AM
FC #6, H, Cassidy, Showcase, Action Comics 15˘ Lot, X-Files, GFT Variants, CGC!
by WalkinWillie
08:13 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.367 seconds in which 0.358 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum