Page 624 of 1111 « First<622623624625626>Last »
Topic Options
#5643278 - 05/01/12 11:55 AM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: tth2]
Hamlet Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

I think that the only option for Apple's corporate treasurer in that situation would be equities.

Big multinational stocks are the only tangible asset class big enough and liquid enough.

If I've got so much money that hard commodities are not an option, I'm buying Coke, Proctor and Gamble, Microsoft, Exxon, Berkshire Hathaway, etc.

They will be getting crushed too, but if we continue to have any economy at all, they will have some value.

Originally Posted By: tth2
Seriously, imagine that Apple`s corporate treasurer is way ahead of the curve and realizes he needs to put his $100 billion of cash somewhere else. It would be really freaking hard to invest that much cash somewhere in some kind of form where it would be available on short notice, even at a loss. I somehow can`t see Apple (or if some massive mutual fund cashes out of equities) parking all that cash in warehouses of precious and industrial metals, and acres of timberland, even if there was enough of it to buy. The haircut if they had to exit any such investment quickly and in large volume would dwarf the haircut they would take from your hypothetical Treasury default.

#5643289 - 05/01/12 12:00 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: Hamlet]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
 Originally Posted By: Hamlet
I think that the only option for Apple's corporate treasurer in that situation would be equities.

Big multinational stocks are the only tangible asset class big enough and liquid enough.

If I've got so much money that hard commodities are not an option, I'm buying Coke, Proctor and Gamble, Microsoft, Exxon, Berkshire Hathaway, etc.

They will be getting crushed too, but if we continue to have any economy at all, they will have some value.

Seriously, imagine that Apple`s corporate treasurer is way ahead of the curve and realizes he needs to put his $100 billion of cash somewhere else. It would be really freaking hard to invest that much cash somewhere in some kind of form where it would be available on short notice, even at a loss. I somehow can`t see Apple (or if some massive mutual fund cashes out of equities) parking all that cash in warehouses of precious and industrial metals, and acres of timberland, even if there was enough of it to buy. The haircut if they had to exit any such investment quickly and in large volume would dwarf the haircut they would take from your hypothetical Treasury default.

Okay, actually Apple wasn`t a good choice because theoretically they could put their cash into anything they want, even if it seems unlikely that their corporate treasury policies would allow them to put all their cash into equities.

Let`s use an example like insurance companies and pension funds like CALPERs, who by law could not put huge chunks of their funds into equities or illiquid assets like real estate and commodities. What are they gonna do?

#5643322 - 05/01/12 12:19 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: tth2]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
Let`s use an example like insurance companies and pension funds like CALPERs, who by law could not put huge chunks of their funds into equities or illiquid assets like real estate and commodities. What are they gonna do?

Get crushed? \(shrug\)

No matter how you slice it, a lot of people are going to get :spoon:ed one way or another, regardless of what the government tries (inflation or deflation) once we reach the tipping point. I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of weird :spoon: going down that is very difficult to even conceive of in the current environment. hm
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5643336 - 05/01/12 12:26 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: delekkerste]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
Think outside the box.

It's very likely that if all conventional markets fail that someone somewhere might think up of a place to hold people's money, much like the bundled bad mortgages that put us in this mess in the first place.

Not necessarily a "good" place, but a new place.

I don't think financial architects have any sort of problem scheming up a new idea if they need one.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5643353 - 05/01/12 12:32 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: VintageComics]
delekkerste Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: VintageComics
Think outside the box.

It's very likely that if all conventional markets fail that someone somewhere might think up of a place to hold people's money, much like the bundled bad mortgages that put us in this mess in the first place.

Not necessarily a "good" place, but a new place.

I don't think financial architects have any sort of problem scheming up a new idea if they need one.

Exactly. I don't understand some of the static thinking here; obviously this is going to be quite a dynamic process as it evolves over time, which will result in countless changes to the present status quo. \(shrug\)
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

#5643613 - 05/01/12 02:16 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: delekkerste]
FFB Offline

At long last I feel regular.

TOTAL NEWBIE

My mind keeps going back to what happened to Treasurys when S&P downgraded them - cash flooded into Treasurys.

I agree with Tim - UST is the last refuge for money. We are the world's reserve currency, so people have to buy dollars to conduct international trade. The consequences of "bond vigilantes" taking the UST to task would be so severe that there is no incentive to do it, since the bond vigilantes will get crushed along with everyone else if the UST tanks. Anywhere they would put their money would get obliterated if the UST tanks, so why tank it?

#5643811 - 05/01/12 03:12 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: FFB]
delekkerste Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: FFB
My mind keeps going back to what happened to Treasurys when S&P downgraded them - cash flooded into Treasurys.

I agree with Tim - UST is the last refuge for money. We are the world's reserve currency, so people have to buy dollars to conduct international trade. The consequences of "bond vigilantes" taking the UST to task would be so severe that there is no incentive to do it, since the bond vigilantes will get crushed along with everyone else if the UST tanks. Anywhere they would put their money would get obliterated if the UST tanks, so why tank it?

Again, you are describing a set of circumstances that exists now, but may not in the future if things evolve the way I think they will. I'm also not sure why you would think the bond vigilantes would get crushed if the UST market tanks when they'll be making triple digit returns on their leveraged shorts and CDS positions. In any case, if it comes down to the government having to either print or restructure/default, do you and Tim really think people are just going to leave their money in place because there is allegedly no place to go? If we can put a man on the moon, I guarantee you people will figure out alternative places to put their capital.

Like I said, I'm bullish on US Treasury debt with the economy rolling over, and it was no surprise to me that a symbolic, but ultimately meaningless, gesture like a one notch ratings downgrade by one rating agency did not tank the market. A future crisis is inevitable, but nowhere near upon us at the moment, which is why the market can behave as it has been behaving. But, to extrapolate that notion indefinitely into the future would be a mistake - there will come a day when Japan borrows the yen that breaks the market's back and when the U.S. borrows the dollar that gets the bond vigilantes in motion...eventually.

#5643979 - 05/01/12 03:57 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: delekkerste]
Transplant Offline

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society
And that point will definitely and definitively be some time in the next year to twenty-five years, without a doubt. Probably.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#5643984 - 05/01/12 03:58 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: Transplant]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
 Originally Posted By: Transplant
At that point will definitely and definitively be some time in the next year to twenty-five years, without a doubt. Probably.

I'd ask a lawyer.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5644102 - 05/01/12 04:36 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: VintageComics]
FlyingDonut Offline

I sold the first CGC book ever on eBay and all I got was this stinking title.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Chicagoan Abroad

"I'd like to thank Chicago for single-handedly keeping the following American big-city traditions alive: smoking, drinking during the day, eating terrible food, congeniality and breasts. It's noble work you're doing, Chicago. We're all proud of you."
Bill Simmons, May 28, 2010

Page 624 of 1111 « First<622623624625626>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Any Macau / Japan paper money for sale?
by Beebeepan
Today at 03:27 AM
Looking to buy and sell confederate notes
by aps
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
Christmas slab sale
by rons
Yesterday at 03:51 PM
Toned Morgan, toned Standing Liberty quarter, Swiss shooting medal
by flatwoods
12/16/14 08:43 PM
Comics Marketplace
Modern CGC SS Books For sale
by superspidey
Today at 05:03 AM
Spider-Man 122, Hulk 5 and more in this Sunday's Weekly Internet Auction #121451
by HeritageComics
Today at 01:08 AM
BIG SWAMP THING RUN INC #37 1ST CONSTANTINE! WRIGHTSON!
by ROBTOTHEC
Today at 12:58 AM
1964 Time Capsule ASMs 9-16 Last chance before slabbing
by gdfisher
Today at 12:25 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.401 seconds in which 0.388 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.