The Common Man
meets
Regular People

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Here Now
 Originally Posted By: thirdgreenham
 Originally Posted By: delekkerste
 Originally Posted By: comicdonna
I would prefer to own gold as well. Only problem is I can buy a large 10 oz bar of silver or a 5 gram bar of gold. The silver bar is much more impressive. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the bar of gold.

BTW, silver doesn't tarnish if properly sealed airtight.

The fact that silver tarnishes at all just shows how inferior a "precious" metal it is.

Silver is seductive because you can buy a lot of it with a little bit of money. But, sooner or later the realization sets in that the stuff is totally ubiquitous and not that valuable except in massive quantities. A 10 oz. bar is worth less than $200. A 100 oz. bar of silver is worth all of about $1,750. A 500 oz. Monster Box of Silver Eagles or Maples can be had for about $10K. You'd need over half a freakin' ton of silver just to buy that Action #1 6.0 that ComicConnect sold last year. doh\!

There's no question that silver is inferior to gold, none at all. A little bit difficult to store, yes, but when that's all you can afford, then silver is what you buy.

If people lose faith in the USD and if we go back to some kind of barter system, gold and then silver will race to the forefront. The mid-class will be trading in silver and the high-class will be trading in gold. The common folk who don't have either will be trying to get by however they can.

I don't have a lot of gold or silver, but I have a lot of guns and ammo. I think that will be useful. Also, the common folk will be able to barter with all the practical skills they posses, the high class have none and the mid-class, who probably pushed a lot of paper will be fairly useless,too, other than as food or slaves, like the high class.

RIP Rick, my best buddy.9/8/37-8/28/14

#3690864 - 01/02/10 07:42 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: The Black Hand]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
 Originally Posted By: The_Black_Hand
I would prefer to own gold as well. Only problem is I can buy a large 10 oz bar of silver or a 5 gram bar of gold. The silver bar is much more impressive. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the bar of gold.

The fact that silver tarnishes at all just shows how inferior a "precious" metal it is.

Silver is seductive because you can buy a lot of it with a little bit of money. But, sooner or later the realization sets in that the stuff is totally ubiquitous and not that valuable except in massive quantities. A 10 oz. bar is worth less than $200. A 100 oz. bar of silver is worth all of about $1,750. A 500 oz. Monster Box of Silver Eagles or Maples can be had for about $10K. You'd need over half a freakin' ton of silver just to buy that Action #1 6.0 that ComicConnect sold last year. doh\!

There's no question that silver is inferior to gold, none at all. A little bit difficult to store, yes, but when that's all you can afford, then silver is what you buy.

If people lose faith in the USD and if we go back to some kind of barter system, gold and then silver will race to the forefront. The mid-class will be trading in silver and the high-class will be trading in gold. The common folk who don't have either will be trying to get by however they can.

I don't have a lot of gold or silver, but I have a lot of guns and ammo. I think that will be useful. Also, the common folk will be able to barter with all the practical skills they posses, the high class have none and the mid-class, who probably pushed a lot of paper will be fairly useless,too, other than as food or slaves, like the high class.

Well, once the high class is decimated, will the lower classes turn on themselves?

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#3690918 - 01/02/10 07:55 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: delekkerste]
comicdonna Offline

This is what my dog thinks of your post.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Green Mountain state!

I do enjoy your sense of humor! I plan on scooping up my cache of gold out of the carribbean. I'll probably use it to purchase an 8.0 Action #1

#3691363 - 01/02/10 11:26 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: kimik]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
 Originally Posted By: kimik
 Originally Posted By: tth2
You'd need over half a freakin' ton of silver just to buy that Action #1 6.0 that ComicConnect sold last year.

It`d take a lot of gold too. Approximately 288 ozs at current valuations.

So what you`re really saying is that comics are the most cost-efficient way of storing great value! Just think, $317K represented in one little paper pamphlet encased in plastic. Doesn`t take up much space and doesn`t weigh very much.

lol

That sounds Krazy to me. lol

Naw, it would be Krazy if I were advocating original art as the most efficient form of investment.

#3691377 - 01/02/10 11:29 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: thirdgreenham]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong

\?\?\? You can buy gold in real small increments. It`s just as affordable as silver. \(shrug\)

#3691463 - 01/03/10 12:20 AM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: tth2]
mrwoogieman Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: THE LOST LAND
 Originally Posted By: tth2

\?\?\? You can buy gold in real small increments. It`s just as affordable as silver. \(shrug\)

He wants BARS, man, BARS of it!! Not a few wee filling-sized bits!

#3691914 - 01/03/10 11:51 AM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: mrwoogieman]
CHABSENTIA Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Florida
"Afford" is a matter of situation. If I have $100k in the Bank and it is my life savings I have enough money to buy and pay cash for an Automobile nthat costs 100K but is it a wise choice and can I really afford it?

#3692513 - 01/03/10 06:09 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: VintageComics]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
 Originally Posted By: r1970d
Another thing to mention is that it will be extremely tough to split an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread. Silver? Not so much.

Well, for those who want to be truly prepared for any eventuality (and I would include myself in that camp), sure it makes sense to have a stash of silver coins around to barter with in the event of a total hyperinflationary currency collapse or something like an electromagnetic pulse attack (think of the plot to "Goldeneye") that disrupted day-to-day commerce. Though, we are talking about extremely low probability events that, even if they happened, would most likely prove to be temporary and would not cause a permanent reversion to the barter system (which would likely only happen in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type of world).

Therefore, IMO, it doesn't make any sense to stock up solely on junk silver, guns, ammo and canned food while ignoring the range of possible outcomes that have far higher probabilities. \(shrug\)
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#3692618 - 01/03/10 07:17 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: delekkerste]
tylerdurden Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Originally Posted By: r1970d
Another thing to mention is that it will be extremely tough to split an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread. Silver? Not so much.

Well, for those who want to be truly prepared for any eventuality (and I would include myself in that camp), sure it makes sense to have a stash of silver coins around to barter with in the event of a total hyperinflationary currency collapse or something like an electromagnetic pulse attack (think of the plot to "Goldeneye") that disrupted day-to-day commerce. Though, we are talking about extremely low probability events that, even if they happened, would most likely prove to be temporary and would not cause a permanent reversion to the barter system (which would likely only happen in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type of world).

Therefore, IMO, it doesn't make any sense to stock up solely on junk silver, guns, ammo and canned food while ignoring the range of possible outcomes that have far higher probabilities. \(shrug\)

Didn't u just buy 2 monster boxes of 1 oz. silver coins ?

#3692979 - 01/03/10 10:23 PM Re: Gold Price Hits $500/oz. [Re: tylerdurden]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
 Originally Posted By: tylerdurden
Didn't u just buy 2 monster boxes of 1 oz. silver coins ?

Well, like the 2.56 quadrillion dollars (face value) of Zimbabwe dollars I recently purchased, I thought it would be fun to own a couple of Monster Boxes. \(shrug\)
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

Page 309 of 1075 « First<307308309310311>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH @ COST- Nice scarce denarius of the Roman emperor Otho, 69 AD, NGC Fine
by lordmarcovan
Today at 06:03 AM
FSH: 1919-D Walker PCGS vf35 $625 dlvd
by BAJJERFAN
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
New coins added to website, more to come this weekend
by stldanceartist
Yesterday at 03:02 PM
eBay, 99c starting 10/23: nice 1600s/1700s "holey" silver coins + some fossils
by lordmarcovan
Yesterday at 01:08 PM
Comics Marketplace
HALLOWEEN THEMED EBAY AUCTION - 100 ITEMS LISTED
by Wall-Crawler
1 minute 47 seconds ago
Cleaning out my closet- $3 Silver and Bronze Marvels (with a few minor keys)
by spracknetch23
Today at 12:38 AM
Amazing Spider-man 73 CGC 7.0 - $55
by Buzzetta
Today at 12:32 AM
Mystic Comics #10
by Phillip
Today at 12:27 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.088 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.