• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead Season Six finale - Predictions?

193 posts in this topic

the ax was on the ground. Rick made his way to it and used it to get rid of zombies. then got separated from it, got it back and climbed on the roof with it. as best I remember.

correct

Incorrect. Rick fought with his bare hands to get to the ladder and on the roof where the axe was laying.

Correct, google it and there is a slo-mo of the seen and clearly Negan hooks it up onto the roof of the RV. Until I watched it again I was sure he threw it into the horde also.

the ax was on the ground. Rick made his way to it and used it to get rid of zombies. then got separated from it, got it back and climbed on the roof with it. as best I remember.

correct

Incorrect. Rick fought with his bare hands to get to the ladder and on the roof where the axe was laying.

Correct, google it and there is a slo-mo of the seen and clearly Negan hooks it up onto the roof of the RV. Until I watched it again I was sure he threw it into the horde also.

Was that whole road trip scene just filler? Didn't make much sense or accomplish anything.

correct

Was that whole road trip scene just filler? Didn't make much sense or accomplish anything.

It was all part of breaking Rick...driving the rebellious streak from him. Negan wanted to demonstrate that even without his army around him, he was a formidable opponent...like when he instructed Rick to grab the hatchet and attack him. He further demonstrated this when he casually dispatched a few Walkers upon opening the door and again when he cleared the group that Rick was about to fall into.

It was a demonstration to Rick that instill that everything Rick had now belongs to Negan. It was a spirit-breaking demonstration of power.

It was all part of breaking Rick...driving the rebellious streak from him. Negan wanted to demonstrate that even without his army around him, he was a formidable opponent...like when he instructed Rick to grab the hatchet and attack him. He further demonstrated this when he casually dispatched a few Walkers upon opening the door and again when he cleared the group that Rick was about to fall into.

It was a demonstration to Rick that instill that everything Rick had now belongs to Negan. It was a spirit-breaking demonstration of power.

But Negan's power in that instance was that he had a gun and Rick didn't. Rick has guns too, just not at that moment because Negan's men disarmed him. What long-term effect would that really have? To illustrate to Rick that in the hatchet vs. gun battle, gun wins? He already knew that. Seemed mostly pointless to me as well. Killing Abraham and Glenn clearly would have a lasting effect, and the vivid threat to force Rick to cut his son's arm off would have an even longer-lasting effect. But I don't really get the hatchet sequence's effect.

But Negan's power in that instance was that he had a gun and Rick didn't. Rick has guns too, just not at that moment because Negan's men disarmed him. What long-term effect would that really have? To illustrate to Rick that in the hatchet vs. gun battle, gun wins? He already knew that. Seemed mostly pointless to me as well. Killing Abraham and Glenn clearly would have a lasting effect, and the vivid threat to force Rick to cut his son's arm off would have an even longer-lasting effect. But I don't really get the hatchet sequence's effect.

They had to fill half an hour of programming to maximize ad revenue.... lol

Edited by kimik

Negan said pretty plainly what the purpose of the trip was. Rick threatened Negan once Negan finished with victim #1. This showed Negan that there was still fight left in Rick...some defiance. This was further reinforced when they returned and Michonne said something like "we get it", to which Negan responded "I know you do. He doesn't" while motioning to Rick.

It was Negan's intent to make Rick understand who holds all the cards now. Making Rick attack him while his back is turned only to be held at gunpoint moments later? Rick likely knew he wouldn't get the chance to kill Negan in that moment, but Negan forced him to do it anyway. Negan took ownership of Rick's trusty hatchet, always referring to it as "my axe" (psychological) and then forced Rick to go retrieve it unarmed against a group of walkers. All the while, Negan is telling Rick "Think about what just happened. Think about what could still happen". Psychological warfare.

The trip was specifically for the purpose of psychologically breaking Rick. It seemed to have worked too...at least partially. He was much less defiant after the trip than before. When Negan finally introduced Carl into the mix, Rick finally became completely submissive in that moment.

It was 100% a psychological attack...a means to an end for Negan. Did you not see it that way?

Negan said pretty plainly what the purpose of the trip was. Rick threatened Negan once Negan finished with victim #1. This showed Negan that there was still fight left in Rick...some defiance. This was further reinforced when they returned and Michonne said something like "we get it", to which Negan responded "I know you do. He doesn't" while motioning to Rick.

It was Negan's intent to make Rick understand who holds all the cards now. Making Rick attack him while his back is turned only to be held at gunpoint moments later? Rick likely knew he wouldn't get the chance to kill Negan in that moment, but Negan forced him to do it anyway. Negan took ownership of Rick's trusty hatchet, always referring to it as "my axe" (psychological) and then forced Rick to go retrieve it unarmed against a group of walkers. All the while, Negan is telling Rick "Think about what just happened. Think about what could still happen". Psychological warfare.

The trip was specifically for the purpose of psychologically breaking Rick. It seemed to have worked too...at least partially. He was much less defiant after the trip than before. When Negan finally introduced Carl into the mix, Rick finally became completely submissive in that moment.

It was 100% a psychological attack...a means to an end for Negan. Did you not see it that way?

Very well said, agreed