• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales 114 ... cool book ...

29 posts in this topic

One of my favorite Silver Age covers. I have always felt this was way undervalued. 3rd appearance of Doc Strange and the 1st Silver Cap... I know, I know but it's still his first costume and Marvel was testing the waters.

Edited by Bronx

Tough to find a high grade copy of this book. One of the many few awesome early ST covers, one of my favorites.

Maybe the villains are lame but besides this and 107, that's about it for classic covers. 101 and 103 are good. 115 decent but Spidey's floating head is a distraction. 116 is pretty cool. Other than that it's a word balloon party. Later on 1 or 2 Steranko covers are classic like 153 167

I think the early run of Strange Tales has some of the best covers of the era: 101-105, 107, 108, 114-116, 118, 120 are all pretty solid efforts, with a few (107 and 108 for sure) that can be considered classics.

Yes, "classic" is the operative word. Not masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination, but still fun to read. 2c

I'm partial to this cover as well:

Ditko's dimension-bending swan song at Marvel.

ST146cgc.jpg

The early superhero covers may be more campy than classic, but I really enjoy many of them. Like #103 and this one:

ST104cgc.jpg