• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible?

13 posts in this topic

Ok, not really but...I was looking up the actress that plays Veronica on Riverdale to see what else she has been in (nothing) when I saw they are shutting down their message boards. It got me thinking about this place and wondering what the chances would be of the same thing happening. Maybe it will be the new trend to just avoid the headache.

There is a short article about why they and other sites are closing boards due to trolling and harassment. There were several comic references in there including CBR and false reviews of Suicide Squad.

board closings

No comic boards! You mean we might actually have to get a life! :ohnoez:

But seriously, why do people care what some stranger says anyway?

There are nasty people in real life as well but I bet we all do our best not to engage them so what not here? I found that trolls only have the power you give them so ignore them,F' them and concentrate on the good because there is more of it then the bad.

I moderate a board in my real life on technical issues in glass manufacturing and when I took it over, it was a complete mess with trolls, bad feelings, bad information blah blah blah. The first order of business was to shut down and restart. The primary insistence I had was that people had to use their real names and I indeed checked them out. I agreed with the actual owner of the site that I would be very hands on and I am. It has about 800 members, mostly professionals in the field and about the same number of lurkers. Lurkers can't see the entire board nor can the google spider.

Generally, I'm astounded at how well behaved people are. I can inevitably tell when I'm getting someone who uses the internet for aggression and they simply don't last long. In the 15 years I've run the board, I've banned about seven people and even then, not permanently. Some seem destined to life sentences however.

I do have classified ads. People happily buy and sell tools. There's no charge.

We have an antiques and classics section for the best of the best posts.'It's OK to trash products but you have to back it up.

I do run a business in the background selling certain types of tools but I allow the competition space. There's room for all. I'm the only one giving free advice. The board is brutal with people making claims that don't hold water particularly with energy efficiency.

Defending the security of the board is a non stop issue. Robot spiders, Denial of service attacks and crashed servers are part of the routine.

What I do believe is that you have to let the light in if you expect things to grow. Every field I've ever run into has its own politics and jealousies. This one is no different. The trick is making sure the ball gets moved forward.

I moderate a board in my real life on technical issues in glass manufacturing and when I took it over, it was a complete mess with trolls, bad feelings, bad information blah blah blah. The first order of business was to shut down and restart. The primary insistence I had was that people had to use their real names and I indeed checked them out. I agreed with the actual owner of the site that I would be very hands on and I am. It has about 800 members, mostly professionals in the field and about the same number of lurkers. Lurkers can't see the entire board nor can the google spider.

Generally, I'm astounded at how well behaved people are. I can inevitably tell when I'm getting someone who uses the internet for aggression and they simply don't last long. In the 15 years I've run the board, I've banned about seven people and even then, not permanently. Some seem destined to life sentences however.

I do have classified ads. People happily buy and sell tools. There's no charge.

We have an antiques and classics section for the best of the best posts.'It's OK to trash products but you have to back it up.

I do run a business in the background selling certain types of tools but I allow the competition space. There's room for all. I'm the only one giving free advice. The board is brutal with people making claims that don't hold water particularly with energy efficiency.

Defending the security of the board is a non stop issue. Robot spiders, Denial of service attacks and crashed servers are part of the routine.

What I do believe is that you have to let the light in if you expect things to grow. Every field I've ever run into has its own politics and jealousies. This one is no different. The trick is making sure the ball gets moved forward.

This is not far off from my Proposed "Membership Fees" that I pushed years ago. They HAD to use real names. this turned the Forumites into Prototype Protestors you see on the news today !

CAL who was ahead of his time then, and still is...

No comic boards! You mean we might actually have to get a life! :ohnoez:

But seriously, why do people care what some stranger says anyway?

There are nasty people in real life as well but I bet we all do our best not to engage them so what not here? I found that trolls only have the power you give them so ignore them,F' them and concentrate on the good because there is more of it then the bad.

+1

This has been happening a lot over the last few years on large sites (like Vanity Fair, Popular Science, Recode,Reuters, NPR, The Guardian etc) and there' a couple of elements at play.

One, discussion has moved to social media - they would like you to have it out on facebook, twitter, or a place like Reddit etc where in a lot of cases you are more identifiable and causes easier moderation on their end if applicable.

The other side is that these are ad based companies, and people coming back to comment in discussion directly help their bottom line but people are despicable that they just got tired of having to moderate content on their property. It's babysitting adults and it's annoying.

The comic book angle is definitely a relevant one and probably at least in some way crisscrosses with politics and religion which tend to get people to go crazy and say really dumb mess to other people.

It goes into abuse because more than a few of them studied the extensive data they have about their own sites and found that a lot of idiocracy was being directed at certain types of employees, and that definitely was a factor - as Idk. getting death threats from masses of people everytime you write something doesn't seem like something that anyone is compensated enough for in this field. And if you just have twitter you see insane and sad a lot of comic book fans are, especially to women.

If you don't know and you just want to see how consistently mess people are, go read a popular channel's Youtube comments.

We had to shut down and restart a Facebook Group for our local aquarium fish club yesterday, because the former club officer that created the Group was going rogue.

It was apparently related to something that happened in 2015 and him not being able to go to a comic con, and banning someone from the site because he was mad at him.