• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

After buying a couple times directly from his website, I am not going to order anymore. While I liked the product, these prices are getting insane. To be honest, all his female characters look the same, like seeing Gen 13 over and over again. Not too much creativity either. It's not worth the chase or the price point.

What comics are you referring to? Venom #3 was cheaper than buying on eBay and it was signed.

I stopped and did not order the Venom #3. The shenanigans with the delay and price increase did not sit well with me. Just because it is cheaper than E-Bay does not mean it's a bargain. I'm not a flipper. I just like a copy for my personal collection. He has lost my business.

Haha, what? So you want to pay what you think is fair, not market value?

Technically, those are all just asking prices. Market value is when buyer(s) agree to pay those prices. Granted, JSC certainly seems to have a big enough fan base willing to pay high prices.

Mind, I've got no love for flippers and would happily see them get screwed over by their greed.

(shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=venom%203%20campbell%20variant&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

After buying a couple times directly from his website, I am not going to order anymore. While I liked the product, these prices are getting insane. To be honest, all his female characters look the same, like seeing Gen 13 over and over again. Not too much creativity either. It's not worth the chase or the price point.

What comics are you referring to? Venom #3 was cheaper than buying on eBay and it was signed.

I stopped and did not order the Venom #3. The shenanigans with the delay and price increase did not sit well with me. Just because it is cheaper than E-Bay does not mean it's a bargain. I'm not a flipper. I just like a copy for my personal collection. He has lost my business.

Technically, those are all just asking prices. Market value is when buyer(s) agree to pay those prices. Granted, JSC certainly seems to have a big enough fan base willing to pay high prices.

Mind, I've got no love for flippers and would happily see them get screwed over by their greed.

(shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=venom%203%20campbell%20variant&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

There, highlighted it for you. :eyeroll:

Not sure what you mean. You said they are asking prices and market value is sold prices. Then I linked the sold prices which are higher than what JSC was asking.

JSC having a big enough fan base agreeing to pay the asking price or higher makes it fair market value.

Boils down to supply and demand. It's a collectible so it's to be expected that demand is relatively inelastic up to a certain price point. What that price point is for when demand becomes more elastic, I have no idea. (shrug)

It sure would be interesting to see what happens if he starts pricing his exclusives at $500+.

I don't know what your problem is Mr HaHa but I think the prices for his product are artificially inflated and I am out. My prerogative. Unlike you, I'm not looking to flip these. I am not going to pay the current market because, IMO, long term this is not sustainable. Keep pumping away.

I don't know what your problem is Mr HaHa but I think the prices for his product are artificially inflated and I am out. My prerogative. Unlike you, I'm not looking to flip these. I am not going to pay the current market because, IMO, long term this is not sustainable. Keep pumping away.

Huh, what exactly am I pumping?

Please explain how the prices are "artificially" inflated when there have been 36 sales of $215 or more. More than JSC was asking.

Huh, what exactly am I pumping?

Please explain how the prices are "artificially" inflated when there have been 36 sales of $215 or more. More than JSC was asking.

I think you are pumping his product. No biggie, it's your right to do so. Yes, lots of current sales in the heat of the exuberance. The Venom cover is pretty cool and may do well long term = you may be correct. However, the overall product line being produced right now is not that exciting. The Iron Man covers are, IMO, boring. His website pricing sets the bar high for the secondary market. I think much of the product line will be selling for less than their 'IPO' price in the future.

I think you are pumping his product. No biggie, it's your right to do so. Yes, lots of current sales in the heat of the exuberance. The Venom cover is pretty cool and may do well long term = you may be correct. However, the overall product line being produced right now is not that exciting. The Iron Man covers are, IMO, boring. His website pricing sets the bar high for the secondary market. I think much of the product line will be selling for less than their 'IPO' price in the future.

While I don't buy JSC's variants (quite honestly, I just don't like most of them, especially not at his asking prices), I don't see how pricing on the secondary market matters for a comic I want for my PC. Maybe it's just me but I treat comic purchases as expenditures, not investments (hence, I typically steer clear of the expensive stuff). I recently preordered ~$150 worth of Super Sons #1 variants for my PC and I honestly don't expect to recover anywhere near "IPO" price if I ever get rid of them. (shrug)

While I don't buy JSC's variants (quite honestly, I just don't like most of them, especially not at his asking prices), I don't see how pricing on the secondary market matters for a comic I want for my PC. Maybe it's just me but I treat comic purchases as expenditures, not investments (hence, I typically steer clear of the expensive stuff). I recently preordered ~$150 worth of Super Sons #1 variants for my PC and I honestly don't expect to recover anywhere near "IPO" price if I ever get rid of them. (shrug)

In this case, JSC is trying to capture a large chunk of the secondary market price by raising his prices. Seeing the demand in the secondary market pre sales he raised his asking price to 200 (?) for the Venom. This put it out of reach for my tastes. It's getting crazy and I am out for JSC.

In this case, JSC is trying to capture a large chunk of the secondary market price by raising his prices. Seeing the demand in the secondary market pre sales he raised his asking price to 200 (?) for the Venom. This put it out of reach for my tastes. It's getting crazy and I am out for JSC.

Exactly, it was pre-selling for $300 before it was even released on the secondary market. JSC announced the signed ones well after this.

I guess people are mad that the artist is making money off his own work as opposed to a secondary market.

meh. Blame the ebay flippers for the price increase.

Of course, you are entirely within your rights if you don't wish to purchase JSC's variants because you don't find them a good value for your money anymore.

He is just releasing variants left and right that it doesn't look like a hard to find books. He is just saturating the market with his work. Good for him though that it gets sold out but we all know that those ones that buy them only wants to flip them.

He is just releasing variants left and right that it doesn't look like a hard to find books. He is just saturating the market with his work. Good for him though that it gets sold out but we all know that those ones that buy them only wants to flip them.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9789471#Post9789471

Edited by ygogolak

He is indeed raising his prices and it's getting, at times, hard for [completionist] collectors like me to buy all his work.

I hate flippers, but my only option to try and make a stand is not to buy from them.

However, I think that if you don't want to buy his stuff anymore, just don't, there's no need to attack the community or the artist. He is making money from his work, which is all we want to do and I don't blame him, even if in some cases, like this Venom cover, i had to pass due to the cost.

He is indeed raising his prices and it's getting, at times, hard for [completionist] collectors like me to buy all his work.

I hate flippers, but my only option to try and make a stand is not to buy from them.

However, I think that if you don't want to buy his stuff anymore, just don't, there's no need to attack the community or the artist. He is making money from his work, which is all we want to do and I don't blame him, even if in some cases, like this Venom cover, i had to pass due to the cost.

JSC did not set the bar and he limboed under that bar with ease.

Who are these "flippers"? A lot of the early sales are from dealers who either sell online or even have brick and mortar stores.

JSC did not set the bar and he limboed under that bar with ease.

Who are these "flippers"? A lot of the early sales are from dealers who either sell online or even have brick and mortar stores.

Well if I see an exclusive from any store or even JSC store, and then suddenly pre-sales in ebay with inflated prices, I would assume they are flippers.

As for him, I'm a huge fan of his art and try to buy everything he releases, but when I simply can't afford it I don't buyt it. Easy as that.

Well if I see an exclusive from any store or even JSC store, and then suddenly pre-sales in ebay with inflated prices, I would assume they are flippers.

As for him, I'm a huge fan of his art and try to buy everything he releases, but when I simply can't afford it I don't buyt it. Easy as that.

Yes, those are for sure. But the price he set was most likely based off the eBay pricing. That pricing was set, or some of the participants in that pricing, was set by retailers.

I'm assuming all you VIP's out there have checked your email from the Campbell webstie, stating that now discount codes will go out earlier from now on and that you probably won't be allowed to apply the discount code to your purchase after your purchase (if you forget to apply it or don't get the email due to it being in your spam) due to their "system" and staff. They do apologize to all who had to wait so long for their Gamora issues.