Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9791254 - 02/05/17 03:57 PM BJ's Country Corner, Villa Park. IL. Longshot...anyone remember it?
Mercury Man Offline
(S)uper Collector

Loc: Tampa Bay
So nostalgia gripped me, and when I was a kid I lived in the Chicago Suburbs, a town called Villa Park.

There was a place called BJ's Country Corner. It was mostly antiques, bric-a-brac, but he did stock new release comics, and had a wall of short boxes with mostly Bronze age books. This would be early to mid 1980's. I remember the smell of old paper, and he would price the back of the comics in pencil (most stuff was under 65 cents for Bronze Comics that were 35 cent cover price and below). He had another section in back where he kept the X-Men, because at they were the hot book at the time, and he did have some Silver Age X-Men in there. But again, mostly Bronze Age comics. I do know at one time he told me he had a X-Men #1 he was willing to sell for $500. At that time $500 was a lot of money for an early teenager. Should have save my First Communion money.

Question- Has anybody on these boards ever frequented the place? I think it was on Ardmore Ave. There is nothing online I can find about it. It was an old shop, run by a guy in his 60's. Probably closed pre internet days.

#9791893 - 02/06/17 12:46 AM Re: BJ's Country Corner, Villa Park. IL. Longshot...anyone remember it? [Re: Mercury Man]
Moondog Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Chicago, IL
BJ's Country Corner was, indeed, on Ardmore in Villa Park. The owner was Hank (something) and BJ was Hank's wife's name so he named the place after her. He was a good guy who ran a Saturday con a few times a year in the late 70s / early 80s. I believe it was nicknamed Relax-a-Con because it was so laid back.

I bought a Red Raven 1 from Hank for a decent price. He didn't pay much for back issues and liked making a quick profit when he got something good.

Nice memories.

#9791898 - 02/06/17 12:59 AM Re: BJ's Country Corner, Villa Park. IL. Longshot...anyone remember it? [Re: Moondog]
catman76 Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Yes, it was the first place I ever bought old comics. I loved that place. It closed in 1990 if I am remembering right, I still have the flyer for their going out of business sale when they had everything 50 percent off or more. I got a bunch of comics there then for cheap. I think they moved to Arizona and opened a store there.
#9791923 - 02/06/17 01:16 AM Re: BJ's Country Corner, Villa Park. IL. Longshot...anyone remember it? [Re: catman76]
catman76 Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

I guess it was 1989, not 1990 that they closed. I still miss that place and miss that smell of old paper it had, some of the comics I bought there still have that great smell lol

#9791964 - 02/06/17 03:15 AM Re: BJ's Country Corner, Villa Park. IL. Longshot...anyone remember it? [Re: Mercury Man]
Domo Arigato Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Originally Posted By: Mercury Man
There was a place called BJ's Country Corner. I think it was on Ardmore Ave.

Is this it?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3-migration, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Bree, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing