• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

He doesn't need BvS for that. He's gotten virtually every major studio to bankroll one of his films at some point. Warner Brothers is lucky to have him, not the opposite. Although they might be re-thinking that after they bankrolled "Live By Night" and it just bombed at the box office. :eek:

The whole Ben out as Director was likely wanted by both sides based on one simple thing - his track record in that role.

According to IMDB, he has been Director of 7 productions:

2018 Witness for the Prosecution (announced)

2016 Live by Night (directed by) - a whopping $19M worldwide so far :tonofbricks:

2012 Argo - a whopping $232M worldwide but critically acclaimed

2010 The Town - a whopping $154M wordlwide

2008 Gimme Shelter (Video short)

2007 Gone Baby Gone - a whopping $34M worldwide

1993 I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meathook, and Now I Have a Three Picture Deal at Disney (Short)

The fact is, his track record as a Director (and even a Producer) is spotty when it comes to box office successes. His best successes were basically with Horror franchise film budgets for Horror franchise films returns. hm

While I think he is a great actor, if I were bankrolling a film I would think twice about him as a Director.

ridiculous argument in the extreme. Argo, The Town and Gone Baby Gone blow away anything non-Nolan that WB has vomited from the DCU onto the screen.

Prior to GOTG, James Gunn directed:

Super 328,0000 (that's $328 thousand dollars) WW BO

Slither 12.8MM WW BO

The Town and Gone Baby Gone are okay, but not movies that I would not go out of my way to watch again. They are adequate, but that's it.

Argo was good movie, but way more meaningful for American citizens of a certain age than anyone else. It was a solid movie, but I have seen better historical flicks. I watched it towards the end of the cinematic run and likely went in with my expectations set too high due to the hype.

James Gunn and GOTG were a risky venture going in, as we have discussed at length in the GOTG thread before, that worked out great for Marvel. The cast he pulled together was outstanding, and they had a great -script/story. They lucked out to a certain extent by catching lighting in a bottle with that one, but I am glad that Marvel Studios took the chance on the group as it is my favorite Marvel movie to date. I am looking forward to GOTG 2 this summer.

James Gunn and GOTG were a risky venture going in, as we have discussed at length in the GOTG thread before, that worked out great for Marvel. The cast he pulled together was outstanding, and they had a great -script/story. They lucked out to a certain extent by catching lighting in a bottle with that one, but I am glad that Marvel Studios took the chance on the group as it is my favorite Marvel movie to date. I am looking forward to GOTG 2 this summer.

GotG is such a shocker how well everything went. The story, the actors selected, the creative crew. And even with the much larger production budget, Disney allowed for the bigger investment to its credit. 'Lightning in a bottle' is no joke when referring to this movie. Which is why you can't use it as a common comparison how every movie should be.

That's like using Deadpool's box office results to gauge successful movies moving forward. Something so unique comes along, and next thing you know there is the new goal to surpass. Which since 1978 only Batman (1989) comes close to the double-digit revenue rate.

Oh boy! Let the hate commence.

hm

Wait a minute. Did it stop?

A Petition Has Been Started For JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder To Take The Helm Of THE BATMAN

ScreenGeek has started a petition which so far has close to 5000 signatures requesting that Snyder gets to work on The Batman. You can sign it by clicking here, and they make a compelling argument for why he should be chosen by Warner Bros. Of course, it's worth noting that a shortlist of directors has been revealed and Snyder's name was nowhere to be seen, but this could make the studio take note.

"Zack Snyder’s commitment to source material, extraordinary visual style, and previous experience in the DCEU makes him the ideal candidate," the petition argues in regards to why he should be chosen, "especially when you factor in the influence Ben Affleck is still going to have on the film’s story and dialogue. The two working together just might make the best comic book film we’ve seen."

I think they should get Denis Villeneuve.

He's got a rock-solid reputation so far with Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival, and I think he'll knock it out of the park with Blade Runner 2.

Good choice. But he is now directing Dune after he wraps up Blade Runner.

Kevin Smith Reveals His Choices To Direct The Batman

Kevin Smith recently gave his viewpoint on why Ben Affleck decided to vacate the director's chair on Warner Bros. solo Batman film, but now the question becomes who is going to replace him?

- Lexi Alexander

- Tim Miller

- George Miller

- Miguel Sapochnik (Game of Thrones - 'Hardhome', 'Battle of the Bastards')

hm

THE BATMAN -script Is Ready: Warner Bros. And Ben Affleck Are "Very Happy"

I reached out to Justin Kroll, the Variety reporter who broke the news about Ben Affleck not directing The Batman. He told me that a new -script for The Batman was turned in this month (presumably the one that Chris Terrio rewrote), and that everyone at Warner Bros., including President and Chief Content Officer Toby Emmerich and Ben Affleck are “very happy” with it!

tAkYkRg.jpg

They still need a director as well. But we finally have a -script that Ben Affleck is happy with. That was something that he constantly talked about in interviews over the last few months.

42 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Kinda confirms my opinion that with all the stuff we have been hearing about lately that 2018 was not going to happen.

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

Let's run those positive people out of this place! That'll teach 'em!

:sumo:

Oh, wait. This was the article they were referencing with the new -script details.

9_9

I guess 'Kitty Litter In My Cheerios #1' missed this piece of news later in the day.

Matt Reeves Tabbed As Director Of The Batman Movie

The Batman has found its new director.

According to a report in Variety, Matt Reeves has accepted the position that was recently vacated by Ben Affleck.

Reeves is most famous for his directorial roles in Cloverfield and War for the Planet of the Apes and will now be taking his next step by directing the DC Comics film.

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

Matt Reeves is an excellent choice.

Totally agree! That second Apes movie was a fantastic production. And when the apes invaded, that could have easily turned into a Michael Bay 'loads of explosions - people screaming - parts flying - cue the music - THE END' third act. He really kept it action-packed yet emotional and meaningful.

Solid choice!

Edited by Comic Appreciation

On 01/05/2016 at 10:19 PM, Bosco685 said:

It sounds like a lack or focus, which often leads to poor story telling. It would be nice if one Batman film worked in a more concentrated manner and resembled a detective film. There is more to fighting crime than gadgets and special effects.