• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Silver keys taking off...
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I am always on the lookout for Batman Silver keys and I've noticed a real takeoff in activity. They have always been slow and steady climbers but this is getting nuts.

I believe it started with Batman 121 taking off like a rocket. Recently it is 181 because of the Poison Ivy Sirens news. But 155, 171, 189 are starting to take off to the point where its impossible to find any decent deals.

My question to other boardies: Are the Batman Silver keys going the way of the Superman keys like 242 & 252? I never thought that was possible but it feels like it.

i find this hard to believe as i own all of them

lol! Count your blessings. And I don't think the Batman market will crash...even with you owning all the keys :wishluck: well at least I hope not...

I wish I had waited a bit longer to sell off a lot of my multiples of Batman #155, 171, 181, and 189, as well as Tec #359, for another year or two. I was happy with the prices I got for them, but they seem to be taking another run up now.

Tec #359 is another Silver Batman key that keeps on running up. I take it that the Batgirl appearance in the Lego Movie is causing the speculation as it should lead to a live action film appearance as well. When that happens, the book could jump again.

Yep I left 359 off the list unintentionally but it belongs on there easy. 359 was quite affordable a few years but not so much anymore. I actually compare this to Action 252 and think this might be the best hold. I say 252 because a hero first appearance historically outperforms a villain and 252 has always been ahead of 242. So 357 should technically be ahead of 155, 171, 181, & 189. And it's a true first and not a silver first. A great current comic storyline, a good movie role or a great tv show would really push this in that direction.

Edited by Bronx

I wish I had waited a bit longer to sell off a lot of my multiples of Batman #155, 171, 181, and 189, as well as Tec #359, for another year or two. I was happy with the prices I got for them, but they seem to be taking another run up now.

Tec #359 is another Silver Batman key that keeps on running up. I take it that the Batgirl appearance in the Lego Movie is causing the speculation as it should lead to a live action film appearance as well. When that happens, the book could jump again.

Yep I left 359 off the list unintentionally but it belongs on there easy. 359 was quite affordable a few years but not so much anymore. I actually compare this to Action 252 and think this might be the best hold. I say 252 because a hero first appearance historically outperforms a villain and 252 has always been ahead of 242. So 357 should technically be ahead of 155, 171, 181, & 189. And it's a true first and not a silver first. A great current comic storyline, a good movie role or a great tv show would really push this in that direction.

I agree; but with the added thought that 181 has an outside shot to be the long-term top dog from this lot, if not 359. That's my Plan B pick because Ivy has that hero/villain thing going on a la Catwoman/Harley Quinn, is also a true first, and is tough in grade due to color (like 359) but also has that pin-up that is often missing.

I was on a selling spree in 2016...but mostly just my Marvel keys. This is the main reason I've held on to my DC keys like Bat#121, Action#242, Bat#181, Tec#359, etc...all have a lot of room to grow when compared to similar Marvel books...and they're harder to find. Now that DC is playing the movie game, these will all start to pick up steam and will shoot through the roof once these characters start showing up in post-credit scenes...alla. Thanos

I can't argue with this strategy. It just makes too much sense.

I made the switch in mid to late 2000s when Marvel's Cinematic Universe took off and DC SA keys were dirt cheap in comparison. My problem was that I started selling them too soon when prices doubled instead of holding for a while longer. :tonofbricks:

Yes. My Bat#121 has TRIPLED in price since I made the purchase. It's always difficult to time the peak of the market. Once I sell, I try not to look at market prices. I learned that lesson after selling my Walking Dead #1 at what I thought was close to the peak, only to see it double again.

There still are deals to be had. Last spring I snagged a GD/VGish copy of #121 for $400 CDN at a local show, and convinced the collector who showed it to me to buy the FN #181 from the same seller for $150 CDN. I would have taken it if he didn't.

I'm afraid the 121 deals are done and done. It's definitely not as common, very hard to find in high grade. I'm always on the lookout for that one and it does not pop up nearly as often. I was lucky to have found a super low grade copy a few years back and than lucked into a raw high grade copy a year or so after that one. Aggiez sell that one and prepare to say goodbye. It may not be fiscally possible to replace it in the PC down the road,