• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need advice
1 1

153 posts in this topic

I may need to send a pic of the dining room table and buffet, and the two chairs so you can see why this is not happening as fast as you like.This a lot of stuff. That avengers though, number 7. I just don't know why it looks so good. I remember the day I got that box, not what I'd call an inviting environment.. The same day I came away with a Pepsi Cola Can - five gallon. It said :"Pepsi, the five cent drink worth a dime"

OP mentioned a possible trip to NYC in another thread; I implore him to visit Metropolis' offices if that is not where he was already going. It is a comic museum unto itself and the OP will certainly enjoy it given his love of comics - there is a ton of comic art lining the walls and comics and memorabilia as well.

when I look at the old family dwellings around here and all of those houses on the lakes that have been in families for generations and those families dragged their kids up here for vacations and desperately wanted them to be mildly entertained, and preferably not by young members of the opposite sex, I see the stuff that got into those houses that never ever came out.

That would be boxes of comics. As it all goes to estate sales, I already regularly see old Lionel train and HO Train stuff from the fifties which I do hoard. I love trains. There's stamp collections with bazillions of "first Day of Issue" postmarks, military material from WWII. I simply haven't looked for comics. I'll take a shot at it.

Sure, sure..make fun of it. It was , as I recall in the famous "School bus Collection". It was in that box with an x men 6 and 7 and 40 , an Avengers 4,7,8,12,14, 15 a ASM 14 and this funny AF15. The Avengers 7 is really in remarkable condition as well. We'll get a scan of it. The other's , not so much particularly the ASM 14 with a torn cover but I'll still bet you would have been happy if you had found that box. I can't even remember what else was in there, stuff from the fifties etc. It keeps popping up here as I get this stuff on boards. I'm taking a bunch to Ihaveneatstuff later in the week to look at and help me get a sense of grade. Then we decide what goes to Sarasota. Keep in mind this entire collection was bought by a nineteen year old kid. I was blown away by that box. Now, I'm checking the coverless ones I also had and never really looked at.

Coverless keys ❤️

I would not front these costs on my own. If you went with Comiclink I ask them about comping pressing costs and grading fees. That way you don't have to pay for it.

So far, the advice I've gotten has been really sound. At this point, I'm contacting the presser in Sarasota and will take about 20-25 books there for his opinion on what is worth pressing. Then, it's over to CGC to have some of the higher dollar ones graded. I'm joining GPAnalysis for a few months and have pretty much decided that the AF15 should go to auction. Deciding on the auction house is now the issue. I don't need the money desperately at all so I have the luxury of time. If the book indeed pulls a 7.5 and I think it certainly could, it takes things to a new level. I do not believe it can pull an 8 over the simple issue of off white pages. Everything else would be good. Somehow restoring it doesn't appeal to me. It's so beautiful now.

The other books help pull the over all value up, particularly the spidey 129's of which there are two . The iron man 55 is excellent. Luke Cage #1, blah blah blah. The ones I hold more dear are the 84-90 journey into mystery and I will have them slabbed. The FF4 group may get slabbed but it remains to see what that costs on books of more marginal value.

Someone asked about the prices. I really get taken literally too much. When I said that it was a 15 cent biz, I was waxing eloquent. Much of what I bought on the newsstand was .15 cents. I got some at .20. Way back, I got some at .12. When I was a little boy, it was a dime.

One person wanted my xmen and I simply quoted Overstreet as a starter and that seemed to really put him off a bit. . If I sold off a title, I would sell the whole title that I own. As many have said, "Don't get cherry picked"

Thank you all who have been so generous with your time and knowledge. The Internet is really quite an amazing thing. High tech info at your fingertips with an ample dash of bandits.

.One of my favorite ads from an early book on the back cover is "Amaze your Friends! Become popular and the life of the Party! LEARN TO PLAY THE PIANO!

nuff said.

Glassman10's Amazing Spider-Man 121 is being auctioned on eBay right now

Here's the link (to the thread which has the link haha)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=9790813&Searchpage=1&Main=427146&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9790813

So going back well over a  month or more: The AF15 got the lolly pop removed from the cover and was cleaned up a bit, and was  actually pressed. It walked through CGC today and got a 5.0. I'll see it move out in a  week I expect. .5 is a big deal in monetizing land. I'm not sure I'll ever see it again. Now it goes to auction I think. what I still have out there are the two 129 spiderman's and the ASM 16 which is a seriously rare book in its condition. It's back from pressing and moving ahead.  Stir in the iron man 55 and I think the bulk of the value is out there on the big kids. 

I have learned so much in two months here. I've looked at no less than 2000 gradings of books.  I'm pretty good in the 4.0 to 5.0 range.  5.5- 7.0 is still mystifying. 9.8 is still Rachael Welsh land. Unattainable. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 2017-01-16 at 9:36 AM, Glassman10 said:

So far, the advice I've gotten has been really sound. At this point, I'm contacting the presser in Sarasota and will take about 20-25 books there for his opinion on what is worth pressing. Then, it's over to CGC to have some of the higher dollar ones graded. I'm joining GPAnalysis for a few months and have pretty much decided that the AF15 should go to auction. Deciding on the auction house is now the issue. I don't need the money desperately at all so I have the luxury of time. If the book indeed pulls a 7.5 and I think it certainly could, it takes things to a new level. I do not believe it can pull an 8 over the simple issue of off white pages. Everything else would be good. Somehow restoring it doesn't appeal to me. It's so beautiful now.

The other books help pull the over all value up, particularly the spidey 129's of which there are two . The iron man 55 is excellent. Luke Cage #1, blah blah blah. The ones I hold more dear are the 84-90 journey into mystery and I will have them slabbed. The FF4 group may get slabbed but it remains to see what that costs on books of more marginal value.

Someone asked about the prices. I really get taken literally too much. When I said that it was a 15 cent biz, I was waxing eloquent. Much of what I bought on the newsstand was .15 cents. I got some at .20. Way back, I got some at .12. When I was a little boy, it was a dime.

One person wanted my xmen and I simply quoted Overstreet as a starter and that seemed to really put him off a bit. . If I sold off a title, I would sell the whole title that I own. As many have said, "Don't get cherry picked"

Thank you all who have been so generous with your time and knowledge. The Internet is really quite an amazing thing. High tech info at your fingertips with an ample dash of bandits.

.One of my favorite ads from an early book on the back cover is "Amaze your Friends! Become popular and the life of the Party! LEARN TO PLAY THE PIANO!

nuff said.

Wondering if you ever got your AF 15 back? Did you get the 7.5 you'd hoped for?

* edit - I see the grade above now. 

Edited by Tbone911t

Why would one fly to cgc with the books?  I could imagine doing it if you had...   5 action #1s and a few Detective 27s and no insurance company wanted to insure it.

Otherwise pictures of everything, insure it with collectibles insurance and then mail it out.

Maybe I'm missing something about what they do in Florida at cgc, but if they're anything like they're at the shows, they don't offer anything whatsoever as far as advice etc.