Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#9790787 - 02/05/17 10:09 AM Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible?
CAHokie Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Southern Virginia
Ok, not really but...I was looking up the actress that plays Veronica on Riverdale to see what else she has been in (nothing) when I saw they are shutting down their message boards. It got me thinking about this place and wondering what the chances would be of the same thing happening. Maybe it will be the new trend to just avoid the headache.

There is a short article about why they and other sites are closing boards due to trolling and harassment. There were several comic references in there including CBR and false reviews of Suicide Squad.

board closings

#9790802 - 02/05/17 10:19 AM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: CAHokie]
Lucky Baru Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Laughing at the baboon...lol
Maybe that's why the moderation here has been heading in a different direction. \(shrug\)

The number of push ups that anyone in particular can do is not a moderation topic.
Architecht

#9790806 - 02/05/17 10:21 AM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: Lucky Baru]
Logan510 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Chicago, IL
"Madness!"

#9790811 - 02/05/17 10:28 AM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: Logan510]
JWKyle Offline
Chatzilla

Man here is hoping grading companies don't shut down their forums. I can not phantom having to use The Facebook.

#9790826 - 02/05/17 10:47 AM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: JWKyle]
ChrisInBaltimore Offline

I eased in to the community before I became an individual_without_enough_empathy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: KING IN THE NORTH!
I almost completely left CBR's boards when I found this place. Those boards were infected. Moderation was and still is a mess. Their community made our WC look like a vacation spot.

It wasn't always like that though. In the early 2000s, I used to love posting there.

#9791182 - 02/05/17 02:52 PM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: Lucky Baru]
oakman29 Offline

Colonial Mustard in the library WITH THE CANDLESTICK!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Feeling a little Creepy
I used to frequent ComicCollectorLive message boards, even was a moderator. I didn't agree how things were being run there, so we parted ways. It stills seems a mess.

Call me Oak,Oakland,Oakman,David or Dave,just don't call me a cab.
Every collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason.RMA

A year ago...A cold October night...A broken down car on a dirt road...A man...A girl...Madness...Pain...And the shadows...My God the shadows!J.O'Barr

Wanted high grade Vampirella, and Creepy mags.

#9791191 - 02/05/17 02:56 PM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: oakman29]
TheRealVenom Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: Ontario Canada
I still miss iFanboy #rip
#9791195 - 02/05/17 03:02 PM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: oakman29]
topofthetotem Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The land of Canada
No comic boards! You mean we might actually have to get a life!

But seriously, why do people care what some stranger says anyway?

There are nasty people in real life as well but I bet we all do our best not to engage them so what not here? I found that trolls only have the power you give them so ignore them,F' them and concentrate on the good because there is more of it then the bad.

Topofthetotem's feedback thread

#9791248 - 02/05/17 03:51 PM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: topofthetotem]
Glassman10 Offline
Collector

Loc: New England
I moderate a board in my real life on technical issues in glass manufacturing and when I took it over, it was a complete mess with trolls, bad feelings, bad information blah blah blah. The first order of business was to shut down and restart. The primary insistence I had was that people had to use their real names and I indeed checked them out. I agreed with the actual owner of the site that I would be very hands on and I am. It has about 800 members, mostly professionals in the field and about the same number of lurkers. Lurkers can't see the entire board nor can the google spider.
Generally, I'm astounded at how well behaved people are. I can inevitably tell when I'm getting someone who uses the internet for aggression and they simply don't last long. In the 15 years I've run the board, I've banned about seven people and even then, not permanently. Some seem destined to life sentences however.

I do have classified ads. People happily buy and sell tools. There's no charge.

We have an antiques and classics section for the best of the best posts.'It's OK to trash products but you have to back it up.

I do run a business in the background selling certain types of tools but I allow the competition space. There's room for all. I'm the only one giving free advice. The board is brutal with people making claims that don't hold water particularly with energy efficiency.

Defending the security of the board is a non stop issue. Robot spiders, Denial of service attacks and crashed servers are part of the routine.

What I do believe is that you have to let the light in if you expect things to grow. Every field I've ever run into has its own politics and jealousies. This one is no different. The trick is making sure the ball gets moved forward.

#9791274 - 02/05/17 04:19 PM Re: Message Board Closings...Comic Nerds responsible? [Re: Glassman10]
Calamerica Offline

CAL who talks about himself in the third person alot

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Running the CGC Forums..HaHaHa
 Originally Posted By: Glassman10
I moderate a board in my real life on technical issues in glass manufacturing and when I took it over, it was a complete mess with trolls, bad feelings, bad information blah blah blah. The first order of business was to shut down and restart. The primary insistence I had was that people had to use their real names and I indeed checked them out. I agreed with the actual owner of the site that I would be very hands on and I am. It has about 800 members, mostly professionals in the field and about the same number of lurkers. Lurkers can't see the entire board nor can the google spider.
Generally, I'm astounded at how well behaved people are. I can inevitably tell when I'm getting someone who uses the internet for aggression and they simply don't last long. In the 15 years I've run the board, I've banned about seven people and even then, not permanently. Some seem destined to life sentences however.

I do have classified ads. People happily buy and sell tools. There's no charge.

We have an antiques and classics section for the best of the best posts.'It's OK to trash products but you have to back it up.

I do run a business in the background selling certain types of tools but I allow the competition space. There's room for all. I'm the only one giving free advice. The board is brutal with people making claims that don't hold water particularly with energy efficiency.

Defending the security of the board is a non stop issue. Robot spiders, Denial of service attacks and crashed servers are part of the routine.

What I do believe is that you have to let the light in if you expect things to grow. Every field I've ever run into has its own politics and jealousies. This one is no different. The trick is making sure the ball gets moved forward.

This is not far off from my Proposed "Membership Fees" that I pushed years ago. They HAD to use real names. this turned the Forumites into Prototype Protestors you see on the news today !

CAL who was ahead of his time then, and still is...

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3-migration, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Bree, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum Aspen Titles