• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman In The Silver Age
3 3

79 posts in this topic

Great thread. More threads like this would be welcome on the boards.

Always interesting to broaden my knowledge of comics by reading about series that I don't ordinarily focus upon; in any genre, any time period.

Wonder Woman #94

November 1957

ww94_zps3fgbgmdt.jpg

The popularity of the Superman TV show makes its presents felt in the opening Wonder Woman story.

ww94c_zpskcaanfik.png

Yet another unscrupulous hollywood producer resorts to trickery.

ww94a_zpst7nkunuu.png

Duke Deception tries again to foil Wonder Woman.

ww94b_zpsll1d7fbw.png

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #95

January 1958

ww95_zpskktto2tx.jpg

Another piece to the changing dynamics of Wonder Woman takes place this month. Cover is credited to both Ross Andru and Mike Esposito. I like the magenta Nuclear Exposition.

The SA WW team of Kanigher\Andru\Esposito have worked together as far back as October 1954 issue of Our Army at War #27

our%20army%2027_zps4tcfwko0.jpg

Wonder Woman becomes radioactive as stories of childish fantasies slowly give way to the nuclear nightmare.

ww95a_zps3vaghzf8.jpg

ww95b_zpsz4quj4hn.png

ww95d_zpsxdmuuc2p.png

Revealed is "The Secret of Wonder Woman's Tiara!", written by Robert Kanigher, with art by Harry G. Peter.

ww95c_zpswsmhzep4.png

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #95January 1958

photo ww95_zpskktto2tx.jpg

Another piece to the changing dynamics of Wonder Woman takes place this month. Cover is credited to both Ross Andru and Mike Esposito. I like the magenta Nuclear Exposition.

The SA WW team of Kanigher\Andru\Esposito have worked together as far back as October 1954 issue of Our Army at War #27

photo our army 27_zps4tcfwko0.jpg

Wonder Woman becomes radioactive as stories of childish fantasies slowly give way to the nuclear nightmare.

photo ww95a_zps3vaghzf8.jpg

photo ww95b_zpsz4quj4hn.png

photo ww95d_zpsxdmuuc2p.png

Revealed is "The Secret of Wonder Woman's Tiara!", written by Robert Kanigher, with art by Harry G. Peter.

photo ww95c_zpswsmhzep4.png

It looks like Wonder Woman is applying the judo sleeper hold-hadaka jime-on Steve Trevor!

Wonder Woman #96

February 1958

ww96_zpsfclpslvt.jpg

Wonderful second cover of the Andru\Esposito team. However, the stories are more of the same.

Angle Man returns, as if he never got caught the last time.

ww96c_zpsrogkqv7d.png

Lovestuck Stevie has got it bad.

ww96a_zpsrsexq9wa.png

Wonder Woman also suffers from writers block.

ww96b_zpscefzo7yx.png

The GA of WW death pains continue.

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #97

April 1958

ww97_zpszstrh0dz.jpg

Awesome Cover!

Peter’s last issue features not three stories, but a three part story.

ww97a_zpsevei0qxn.png

Bob Kanigher is starting to bring his ‘A’ game with this issue.

ww97b_zpsatehb1ci.jpg

The Silver Age of Comics at DC is released in mass. This issue shared newsstand space with Lois Lane #1, Adventure Comics #247, and Showcase #13.

Edited by tabcom

I wonder if readers found the Peters art jarring in the late 50's, especially as the covers had a pretty modern ( for the time) appearance to them, that fit in with DC's overall look. While distinct, H.G. Peters always had a retro style, even for the GA, by the late 1950s, it looks completely out of place.

I agree with you on passé art. With respects to the reader reaction, when the target market was girls of the late 50s, hard to guess what they thought of the art style.

Nonetheless, it all changed with issue #98.

Coming up next!

Wonder Woman #98

May 1958

ww98_zpsgpwe31ne.jpg

Having read dozens of these stories now, other than the revamped origin element (I liked), the plots are not much different from what came before. Giant eagle, menacing fish, enemy sub attack (swapped for space aliens), lovestruck Steve Trevor (getting stale), magical conclusion for the sake of helping kids.

What set this issue apart from previous stories are two things. The 25 page format is more fluid then the previous 3 story format. The art is much improved. WW doesn’t feel like a static wood carved stencil. I like her straight hair vs. the old fashion curly doo.

ww98a_zpsrhxofq0t.png

ww98c_zpsripncrfl.png

ww98e_zpsjluafywz.png

ww98b_zps5jya7l99.png

ww98f_zpsxjaignmh.png 

ww98d_zps3uboqlmk.jpg

The Kanigher\Andru\Esposito collaboration is off to a running start.

ww98d_zps3uboqlmk.jpg

Edited by tabcom

I agree with you on passé art. With respects to the reader reaction, when the target market was girls of the late 50s, hard to guess what they thought of the art style.

I can't understand why DC stuck with H.G. Peter's art for Wonder Woman that long. While his artwork might have been suitable for superheroes in 1941, it was already passé within five years. Wonder Woman 98 is therefore my stepping-on issue for the title. I won't buy a Wonder Woman comic before that issue.

(shrug)

I can't understand why DC stuck with H.G. Peter's art for Wonder Woman that long. While his artwork might have been suitable for superheroes in 1941, it was already passé within five years. Wonder Woman 98 is therefore my stepping-on issue for the title. I won't buy a Wonder Woman comic before that issue.

(shrug)

From a SA perspective, I totally get that, but I actually find Peter's art more interesting than the Andru/Eposito stuff that followed. Not that I love Peter's but it is a distinct style. I like earlier Andru/Eposito work, but it almost looks like a different art team from their DC superhero books.

Wonder Woman #99

July 1958

ww99_zpsgl0vaimo.jpg

Space age upgrade in art and content in this issue. Full throttled Silver Age adventure.

ww99a_zps1flnov7m.png

Did you ever wonder how Wonder Woman can move about in space without a spacesuit? Secret Amazon Tech revealed . . .

ww99b_zpslqxwfjbp.jpg

ww99c_zpsaxbyz8zf.png

Edited by tabcom

I like her straight hair vs. the old fashion curly doo.

The one thing I'm going to differ with you on, is the hair, that's not straight, lol. In the later issues, the ones in the 60's mod period, it's straight.

If my hair looked like her's here, I'd be running for a flattening iron;)

Thanks for posting these, I might have to raid my closet this weekend;)

Wonder Woman #101
October 1958

ww101_zpsofq3irnv.jpg

Although I haven't rated any of these issues, this issue would get high marks for art and story. Pure SA fantasy at its best!

First story: "Undersea Trap!"

ww101a_zpssuytbzuz.png

ww101b_zpsetp8rkjv.png

ww101c_zpsxdbz78ch.png

ww101d_zpsvam8hw9q.png

Second Story: "Fun House of Time!"

ww101e_zpspkedssww.png

ww101f_zpstnkvrhxu.png

Edited by tabcom