• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

Nah, lots of people have fond memories of this particular issue, and pages from it are scarce (I've only seen/heard of two others before this one).

And here's one of the two other pages from MTU #79, which is just like the Heritage page, except for no Red Sonja, or Spidey, or action:

http://cafurl.com?i=22765

But I still like it. Best, Lee

Nice page, Lee! :applause:

I actually didn't know about your page since, as more of a '70s-era Red Sonja fan than Byrne or MTU aficionado, I had only been keeping an eye out for pages that feature her. So, that makes 3 other pages from this book aside from the one at Heritage that I know of, but only two of the 3 have Red Sonja.

Thanks guys! Gene, if the other MTU #79 page you have seen with Red Sonja is the interior splash page that is all Red Sonja, then you are a lucky man indeed. Best, Lee

I have not seen that one, but I did hear who has it (which, sadly, means it's not likely to be available, at least not for any price that one might deem reasonable). It's certainly one of the best Sonja images ever!

Seems like I have touched a nerve with the Byrne fans ;) I don't like that page, at all. I'd rather light my money on fire than pay the 15k Gene suggests, but I'm sure people feel that way about stuff I like, too, so its all good... we all have our favorites. I like Byrne a lot for the record. Just not this one.

I think it's a really nice action page, but there's not enough Sonja on it to interest me personally. Not that a better page may ever become available from the story, but, I'm past the point in my collecting career where I'm willing to pay up for something I'm not completely thrilled with just to "have an example". For someone who just wants a great page from this memorable story with some Sonja and gorgeous Byrne/Austin art, though..this page would certainly tick that box.

As for art that I'd rather light my money on fire than pay the going rate...there's a lot of things that other people love that I would put in this category (I believe I may have made that same analogy earlier today, in fact)...but this page is certainly not one of those pieces. We all have our favorites. :whistle:

The art of the cover of MTU #79 ––one of my favorite Byrne/Austin book ever–– was published in the Modern Masters book focused on Byrne (page 90), although contrasted, so "only" linework is visible. A pity that it was not published at full page as it deserves. Probably Terry Austin still keeps the art, since he contributed with many pieces to the book.

Byrne proposed Austin to ink MTU when Byrne got the X-Men gig (he wanted Grainger in X-Men to make easier the transition from Cockrum), but Goodwin was hooked on the team of Marvel Preview #11. This is why Byrne wrote the following comment in the UPC box of the cover of #141 (below).

Read the story told by JB in this link:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24283&PN=0&TPN=1

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT!

34_XMen141_Panini_Box.jpg

On 1/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, tth2 said:

Aren't animation cels done on Acetate? Have any of those Disney cels from the 1930s shrunk?

Some of the early Disney cels were cut to the image or a smaller size and given out as souvineers or sold in the parks as novelty pieces.